Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

benedict

Administrator
Today's Diabetes Week question is for type 1s: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

Are you someone who has constantly been asking to go onto a pump?
Are you on a pump and now reaping benefits?
Have you gone onto a pump but are now questioning whether it's best for you?
Or do you prefer to stay on injections?

Let us know which you prefer and why?

cahmn

Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

I'd definitely like to be on a pump, but been told there is no chance at all as my A1C is less than 7 and therefore too good.

The one area I know it would help is where foods require long bolus'. This isn't often, but with some foods that high fat content (naughty, I know) I find it impossible to keep my BG within range.

Having said that pumps are expensive and do I really need one? I do believe however it would improve my quality of life.

Nick

Desperately trying to get an insulin pump,my local Diabetic Centre in the West Midlands are eager to reccomend it,but that's all they do. I have learned that its hard for Type 1 Diabetics to get an insulin pump in the UK,without having to pay for it yourself. Im very frustrated and just want to get one to improve my Diabetes.

Scardoc

I have to admit, I am a little ignorant of pumps as I've never had my doctor or DSN mention them before. From what I've read in other threads I probably wouldn't get one as my HbA1c is always around 6.

I've just read a little on them and my initial reaction is I'd prefer to remain on injections. I don't like the idea of having the needle in me for 2/3 days at a time and I don't think it would really suit me with exercise either. I'd have to remove it every other day and for a few hours a couple of times a week.

The one advantage I could see is the reduced number of injections. If a needle with a pump stays in for say 2 days then that would reduce my injections by 7 over that period. That means my current 1,460 injections a year (minimum) could be cut to 180-ish. That's a big deal for me as I only have enough fat to inject around my stomach so I am permanently bruised :(

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!

I would love to be on a pump. My levels are all over the place at the moment and I have a stack of weight to lose. I can't take metoformin to help with insulin resistance as my kidney function is below 30%. I only see a DN at my GP's so am trying to get referred to a consultant at the hospital.

How much does it cost to buy the pump yourself? I assume you would be able to get the consumables on prescription?

Lorna

cahmn

When I looked at it last, pumps were around £3k, with consumables about £1,500 a year. I doubt that the NHS would pay for consumables as it tends to be all or nothing (anybody know different). Also, if it wasn't NHS funded, then you'd have to pay for Dr/Consultant appointments too....it's not going to end up being cheap.

Personally, I'm waiting for a really good CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) linked to a pump (sometimes known as artificial pancreas) before I really push for one. I reckon this would make more difference than a pump alone.

Nick

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I changed over to a pump in November of last year - the end to continuous injections - it is bliss. Huge weight loss due to the drop of insulin needed, better levels by far and more control of what i eat and when - i much prefer the pump to a pen. It took me 5yrs to get but have to say it was well worth the wait. :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My daughter uses an insulin pump and for us it was the best decision made. There's no way we could get the flexibility with basal rates that we do compared with using injections. If injections had worked well for her then I'm not sure if the pump would have made such a big difference but as injections were not working well I can say without a doubt that the pump has made a huge difference to our lives.

Lorna, at one stage I looked at self-funding a pump for my daughter. The prices Nick gives are about what we worked out the costs to be. I believe that the consumables would not be funded by the NHS so you'd have the fit the bill for that too. The concern we had at the time was that we might have been able to fund the pump but circumstances change for people and it would have been distressing to have circumstances change to a point that we can no longer fund pumping. Not only then are you faced with financial stress but also the stress of reverting back to injections which would be very hard to do if you have grown to love using the pump. You cannot just go out and buy a pump either, it has to be recommended by a consultant even if you are funding it privately. If your consultant recommends a pump for private funding then really he ought to be recommending it for NHS funding too, either you'd benefit from a pump or not so the decision shouldn't be based on who is paying for it.

shop

If I can get the reqiured results on injections then I will be happy to continue on them. If however the need arises for me to use a pump then I would welcome anything positive to help my control. I can see the benefit of children having pumps definately.

Lucy. :)

ducati

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I have had diabetes for 12 years. I've been on the pump for the last 2. It has changed my life in the best way possible! I couldn't control my sugars with just the pen, even when I'd been in hospital they had trouble keeping my sugars under control. Since being on the pump I've had a gorgeous daughter and my HbA1c has never been so low! I reccomend the pump to anyone who's having trouble controlling with a pen.

Claire :)

jopar

I'm on a insulin pump...

And no I wouldn't want to go back to injections...

Injections can't deliver insulin in a way to match my needs, pre-pump I was injecting over 2200 times a year, with a unreasonable high end input on management and couldn't go to bed before 11pm, and had to be up for my morning timed injection..

I see mention about HBA1c's, even though it is part of the NICE guideline criteria the individual doesn't necessary have to fit this part of the criteria, you've just have to fit at least one part of the criteria, A HCP/PCT can not decide which parts of the criteria a patient has to fit before funding can be granted, It's illegal to do this and even attempting to stall by putting obligations such as, won't be consider until you've attended a carb counting course are also illegal behaviour!

As to costs of pumps and consumables, well yes £3000 and it's around £1000 a year for consumables, is the self-funding prices most PCT's will have arranged a contract of supply with a company, hence why most clinic's only deal with one manufacturer, this enables costs to be driven down...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

For the time being I would prefer to stay on MDI.

dani-a

Definately pump......only fairly new to a pump but after many decades of MDI it's a godsend.....especailly with the different boluses/basal rates

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Definitely injections. Don't like the idea of carrying a pump around with me and having a constant intravenous insulin drip attached to me. Plus my sugars are ok, if it aint broke...

Reactions: 2 people

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.

I want a pump and am being considered for one but doubt I'll get one with my HbA1c. It'd fit my lifestyle so much better. Pity you have to abuse your body to get the treatment you want. I have considered lowering my insulin just to get one, but do I want to risk damaging my body enough? I'm not sure.

shop

Delphinum said:
I want a pump and am being considered for one but doubt I'll get one with my HbA1c. It'd fit my lifestyle so much better. Pity you have to abuse your body to get the treatment you want. I have considered lowering my insulin just to get one, but do I want to risk damaging my body enough? I'm not sure.

It has been mentioned to me about getting a pump if I can't reach target. I am working very hard to achieve my goal and am certainly not abusing my body and making progress. If I can achieve it without a pump then I have set ou what I aimed to do. Yes If I am honest it would probably suit my lfestyle better as my routine varies such alot, but would expect to get one just on that basis.

If I can get good results without one then great, I do feel that children are more in need of them, what with them going to school and parents not being on tap so to speak.

I have heard that they are brilliant but I will make the best of whatever happens.

All I want is to be in control of my diabetes and live a normal life. With or without a pump I am determined to give it my best :)

Lucy.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)

reading all these replies makes me realise how lucky I am to have a good Hba1c (6.1) and also have a pump, given without question and limited obstacles from my PCT. Before the pump I would have said injections were the way for me but now I have the pump, you will have to prise it from my cold, dead hands before I give it up. I now want (or would like, please!) the new 'patch' pump which is wireless, slim and compact and managed with an iphone style, touch screen monitor. So like my current monitor only more whizzy! The main reason for my love of the pump is the option to reduce my basal rate when I exercise. I rarely have hypo's following a long run now where as before, it was a gamble and I would need jelly babies en route. Now I have the confidence to start the run knowing I won't drop low half way round. Has improved my speed dramatically, lol! :D :lol:

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Definitely prefer a pump. Injections couldn't control dawn phenomenon or adjust the doses finely enough or for me, but no problem with these on the pump. It's more work, you may need re-learn things and if you have good control on injections there may be no advantage given the extra hassle of a pump. But for anyone who's very sensitive or very resistant to insulin or can't achieve good control on injections then I'd recommend trying a pump - fight for it if you have to (although you shouldn't need to).

janyeskaycee

Truth be told, I'd rather not have to use either, but as that's not possible, I'll stick to the injections although I'm not impressed with the amount of belly fat acquired since I had to start using insulin in April 2011; it's quite obscene. I was warned about this by other users but didn't quite believe it. [T2] No change in eating habits, always been sensible and OK and weight used to be OK, only 6-7lbs overweight and was told the onset of diabetes was genetic, nothing to do with lifestyle, just sheer bad luck. I'm now 65, diagnosed in 2004 and used metformin and gliclazide then it stopped working efficiently. The rest I can cope with, although I don't like it, but being 5'10" and used to being 11.5 stones then shooting up to 15 stones is the worst part for me. Nothing I can do, cutting down, exercising, tried changing foods but always ate 'proper' ones anyway so nothing helps. Need a lotto win then I'd get liposuction!!! Absolutely sick of all this excess baggage around my middle :thumbdown: