Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

the_only_abi

Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

I've been Diabetic 13 years now and on a pump for 5 1/2 years. I went on mine at the age of 14, and is the best thing I did. I think I chose the option as I had no where at school to inject so on the corridors was hard work! My Diabetes has always been very well controlled and when I chose to go on one my clinic told me (at the time, it's different now) that they lean towards people with HbA1c's under 8 unless the patient is really struggling to control it.
I had a huge lump of scar tissue from injecting (majorly favoured my stomach) across my stomach over the years, but i lost over half of it within the first couple of months being on the pump.
I was worried about going on holiday with mine, but I actually found it less trouble than I was expecting, though it did get hot when we were just sat around the pool in the sun so keep it under something in the shade.
Now I'm at Uni I don't think I could go back to MDI's as my pump gives me so much freedom to do what I want, when I want without worrying if I've forgotten to inject etc :D

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would never ever go back to injections! I have had a pump for 5 years now and have been diabetic for 45 years.

When i got my pump my HbAc was 8.6 and now it is always in the 6's.
I had all all sorts of aches and pains caused by my long term diabetes and was overweight. Now I am normal weight and all other problems have vanished.
I can't promote the pump enough..

I wear it on an elasticated spibelt round my hips and don't notice it at all as its only the size of a matchbox. Holidays in hot places no problem just take it off for up to 1 hour when you want to swim. Or even just go back to injections for the time you are away.

Ok you do need to test 6 or 7 times a day and be prepared to put some serious work into getting your basal rates right. But for me that is a small price to pay for having a normal blood sugar most of the time and feeling fit and well. I most certainly didn't feel fit and well on injections!

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh

Hi,

I have a pump now since 1.5 years (medtronic) and cant imagine life without it. I have been diabetic (type 1) for almost 30 years and the freedom i enjoy now ...no injections and needles! The best part is that i can now dose with 0.1 units at the time and can lower /higher easily day by day. I had a bad chest infection recently and it used to be extremely hard to manage the diabetes but i could dose slowly little....amazing.

LilahandMick

Hi,
Me Personally I'm not Diabetic but my husband Mick and My daughter Lucy (5) are! I asked them and Lucy said Pumpy not decons (pump and Injections!) Mick agrees as well he said "You have always got constant Insulin going In side you so it rare to be high or have a hypo and decreases risks of complications" There you go!

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)

I personally wouldnt want to go on the pump but thats my opinion and everybody has there's too.
I wouldnt be able to in my area, even if I wanted to because you need to be badly controlled and HB1AC over 8 to get the pump...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sueycl

benedict said:
Today's Diabetes Week question is for type 1s: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

Are you someone who has constantly been asking to go onto a pump?
Are you on a pump and now reaping benefits?
Have you gone onto a pump but are now questioning whether it's best for you?
Or do you prefer to stay on injections?

Let us know which you prefer and why?
I've only been on a pump for a few weeks but I'm very stressed by the lack of control I have. I'm still getting high test results, as I can't bolus for high bg unless it's done at mealtime or bedtime. The tubing is much too long for me, and I wake several times in the night because I can't sleep with a belt round my waist, the pump falls out of the pocket I put in a nightie, and I lose the tube in the sheets because it's so long! My low blood glucose levels are much better, and that was my main problem, but I'm now wondering whether I'd prefer lows to highs??? The jury's still out!

amiibones

I would love to be on insulin pump as my hba1c results are always bad I can never get my sugar levels right and I think I would be a great candidate but not sure how to go about getting one.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes

amiibones said:
I would love to be on insulin pump as my hba1c results are always bad I can never get my sugar levels right and I think I would be a great candidate but not sure how to go about getting one.

Hi Amibones, www. INPUT .me .uk have plenty of information and advise about the pump process and how to go about obtaining one, the first thing you will need to do is discuss this with your Consultant / GP at your next diabetes appointment.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

katiemack74

Hi
I'm Katie aged 38 been living with jolly old type 1 since 1978 when I was 4 :) Just started using a pump on Monday 10th June - yes only 5 days ago and WOW!! what a difference it makes. It is a bit weird to get used to kind of being attached to something all the time but I had kind of gotten to the point where I had stopped taking my injections as they didn't seem to work. My blood sugars were always high (usually over 20 and often over 30) and I was taking massive (about 10 units of insulin) doses in one hit to try and bring them down with the result that they remained high and I put on loads of weight (even got upto 10.5 stone). I am not a big eater but I do like a glass of wine every now and again - I know.... controversial :)

Since hooking up to my pump on Monday I've had a few hypos (about 5) which means I adjusted my hourly rate so I get more (0.2 units per hour) in the mornings when it's normally a bit high (around 14) and then I've dropped it (by 0.3 units per hour) in the afternoon. This means that since Monday (well Tuesday to be fair) my bloods haven't been over 12 which for me is amazing.

In short wearing a pump is a bit weird but it definitely works and having low blood sugars all the time (not just if you don't eat) really does make you feel BRILLANT!

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

I'm currently on MDI and my levels are stable my HbA1c is 7. but I wonder what it would be like to have a pump and be 'connected' 24hrs a day?? My OH thinks it's on a par with 'having a bag' being hooked up to a device.... hmmm I think he needs to inject 5 times a day... not good.

I just don't know. I have been MDI for 3yrs now. I think I would just prefer not to have Diabetes .. full stop!

I would like to think it would make my life better. perhaps I'll wait for the 'artificial pancreas' to be available , so we wouldn't have to test as well.

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)

Ive been type 1 for over 21 years and have two injections a day..good ole syringes..Dont wanna change cos my HBA1C is 6.7..i work with somebody on 5 jabs a day and somebody with the pump and I am much better controlled.
I tried the pen once but because I work shifts I was gonna have to have 6 jabs a day!! Lasted a week on pen...NO WAY !!!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Personally I can't wait to get on a pump.

I hate the fact that three daily bolus injections tie me into three meals a day, that's just so unnatural as a dietary pattern. I want to eat normally, which for me is three smallish meals with snacks between and a steadier blood sugar as a result.

I'm also athletic, travel with work and overall I think a pump would be a much better proposition for me.

LUckily my consultant agrees, but I can't get on a DAFNE course until December, and that's their stepping stone. I guess I just need to carry on getting to understand this thing between now and then.

Sammeh5678

I have always preferred to be on injections rather than pump, more flexibility with the injections. I suppose both have their pro's & con's but I am an "injecy"

--
Sam
Sent from the iOS App
Facebook.com/sammskii999

Tristan_Llyr

I only got diagnosed around 8 months ago and I'm already looking into having a pump. I've got an appointment next month to see if I'm "eligible". I am generally fine with MDI, though it can sometimes hurt quite a bit and I'd prefer to reduce the needle intake. I've heard great feedback from people that use a pump and I think it would really suit my lifestyle being a student and a part-time waiter. But since my control has been pretty good so far I doubt I'll end up having one :|

iHs

smifffy40 said:
Ive been type 1 for over 21 years and have two injections a day..good ole syringes..Dont wanna change cos my HBA1C is 6.7..i work with somebody on 5 jabs a day and somebody with the pump and I am much better controlled.
I tried the pen once but because I work shifts I was gonna have to have 6 jabs a day!! Lasted a week on pen...NO WAY !!!

Yes 2 jabs a day of biphasic insulin can for many keep them better controlled than MDI or pumps. Shame more newby diabetics are not offered it is all I can say .... Its all about making compromises over love of food at the end of the day

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What a long and interesting thread. I have not wanted to use a pump until recently, as things have changed for me. My brother-in-law is on one and his control is so much better, and a friend is being monitored prior to trying one.

For a while now I have been keen and interested, as pumps are becoming smaller and more user-friendly, with inbuilt monitors. My diabetes has always been difficult to control and I have been insulin dependant for 46 years now.

I really hope I can try.

Alilock

I have had type 1 diabetes for 30 yrs & changed onto the Omni pod pump over 2 yrs ago. It has changed my life. I have always struggled with being diabetic & the control of injections, blood sugars & food, leading to high HbA1cs. I was offered an Omni pod pump, which consists of a small pod that sticks to the skin, with a small plastic tub about 5mm in length in the skin, this stays on for 3 days & drips your set amount of insulin in every minute. When you want to eat you set the blue tooth controller to tell the pod how much extra insulin you will need. You can adjust the base rate when you do exercise or are ill. It will also work out how much insulin you need for the amount of food & your blood sugar level.
The pump, pods & all other items needed are paid for by the NHS & I have never had any problems getting them.
I'm sorry to hear that the NHS is making things so difficult for some of you & that things are so different from hospital to hospital. I didn't realise it was so hard to get a pump & that you may have to fund it yourself. I thought my hospital care was the norm.

Ali:)

Shinglis

Hi Folks

I currently am on the multi injection regime and have been for umpteen years now. Was diagnosed in the 60's and insulin and delivery devices are much improved believe me. (As a 5 year old a glass syringe and stainless steel needle around an inch long was very scary). Anyway I have never considered a pump as they too can bring complication, though it is now law (in Scotland at least) that all children diagnosed are entitled to a pump no questions asked, though I am sure that is also a post code lottery. I like many others had to pay for disposable syringes until the BDA campaigned for us when the "junkies" were handed them for free to prevent spread of disease. One day maybe we will all have access to the same equipment.