Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pump?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Re: Would you prefer to be on insulin injections or on a pum

HI Cupcaake,
Just to let you know you are wrong regarding it's a consultants say so regarding a pump. I had my pump funding from the PCT via my GP. I have no input from any consultant at all and do not go to any clinics. I also live in Devon.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea

Awesome i was told by my gp they had no say and it was all the consultants choice where in devon i go to exeter

derekb

Hi everyone - just joined the site. I have struggled with my sugars for years my HB1 has always been 12! - recently started going back to the diabetes centre after recieving my diabetic care from my GP. I have been offered a pump but im struggling to decide if to have it, Im currently taking Pork Insulin x4 injections a day, my concerns are about changing to the Humalog mix25 needed for the pump as I have read this Human insulin may be linked to cancer!

I also drive a Taxi for a living and Im conerned going on the pump may induce more hypo's (has anyone else noticed more hypo's on the pump)

Also has anyone else had any concerns about taking Human Insulin and the possible link with Cancer!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

derekb said:
Hi everyone - just joined the site. I have struggled with my sugars for years my HB1 has always been 12! - recently started going back to the diabetes centre after recieving my diabetic care from my GP. I have been offered a pump but im struggling to decide if to have it, Im currently taking Pork Insulin x4 injections a day, my concerns are about changing to the Humalog mix25 needed for the pump as I have read this Human insulin may be linked to cancer!

I also drive a Taxi for a living and Im conerned going on the pump may induce more hypo's (has anyone else noticed more hypo's on the pump)

Also has anyone else had any concerns about taking Human Insulin and the possible link with Cancer!

You do not put mixed insulin in a pump :shock: Who told you that?
You can use your pork neutral in it though and don't let anyone tell you you can't.

derekb

You do not put mixed insulin in a pump :shock: Who told you that?
You can use your pork neutral in it though and don't let anyone tell you you can't.

Diabetic nurse gave me form with new insulin on it to order from chemist! - I was told Pork Neutral takes longer to act than the new Human ones?

iHs

Hi

I think there's been a bit of confusiing info going on.... Humalog Mix 25 is a twice daily insulin and cannot go in an insulin pump whereas Humalog is just a fast acting bolus insulin which can be used in a pump.

Have a good look at the prescription that you have been given to see if Humalog or Humalog Mix 25 has written on it.....

derekb

Hi - Definately says Humalog Mix 25 (cloudy suspension) Looks like either the diabetic nurse or the chemist has given me wrong Insulin! Ive not got the pump yet!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

derekb said:
Hi - Definately says Humalog Mix 25 (cloudy suspension) Looks like either the diabetic nurse or the chemist has given me wrong Insulin! Ive not got the pump yet!
Well it sure can't go in a pump that's for sure.
The pork insulin you are using now I assume is porcine neutral, then it works a bit quicker in a pump than is does by injection.
All you do is make any adjustments to your basal 2 hours before they need to change and set a duration of 5 or 6 hours and just bolus 30 mins before you eat.
Sounds to me as if your dsn doesn't know what she is talking about and isn't going to find out either so has just fobbed you off.

As an added thought have you been told when you are to start pumping? Have you done carb counting?

derekb

Many thanks for your help - I will be having words with my dsn - I'd like to try the pump but don't want to change my pork insulin to human so if there not willing to let me use it in the pump then ill prob stay as Iam

iHs

derekb said:
Many thanks for your help - I will be having words with my dsn - I'd like to try the pump but don't want to change my pork insulin to human so if there not willing to let me use it in the pump then ill prob stay as Iam

What amount of units of this new insulin did your DSN tell you to inject? Also did the DSN tell you to inject it twice or 3 times per day? This will tell you whether the pharmacy has made a mistake and given you the wrong insulin or if the DSN just wants you to try Humalog Mix 25 first to see if it control your bg levels better than the porcine insulin you are using. A pump may come later if nothing suitable can be found......

If the Humalog Mix is the correct insulin, did the DSN give you any info on how much carbohydrate you will need to eat at your meal times? From my experience of using twice daily insulins for many years.... I always eat carb the little and often way and had fairly good control most of the time....

derekb

Checked with dsn she said she didn't prescribe humalog mix 25 - so must be wires crossed with the order from gp to chemist. I also asked my dsn can I stay on pork neutral, she said I could so I'm definitely going to give the pump a try - I'm currently taking x4 injections a day I really wouldn't mind a bloody break from all those injections. Starting pump in jan so now looking forward to that - going for the Omnipod pump, give it a try, my sugars have been all over the place for years I'm hoping this will help

daniel1021

Dislikes
diabetes.

SamJB said:
Definitely injections. Don't like the idea of carrying a pump around with me and having a constant intravenous insulin drip attached to me. Plus my sugars are ok, if it aint broke...
totally agree!!

the_exile

daniel1021 said:
SamJB said:
Definitely injections. Don't like the idea of carrying a pump around with me and having a constant intravenous insulin drip attached to me. Plus my sugars are ok, if it aint broke...
totally agree!!

It's not intravenous, they go nowhere near a vein.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Guys,
after doing a rough count of replies it seems like most people would like to be on a pump with 68 to 27 votes. There does seem to be a bit of confusion about what a pump does and how it works and the day to day management on one. It has brought up some very useful discussion that was very interesting for me to read and I think I can use some of those when explaining things to different ministers (whenever i finally get my meeting). It's also brought to light 2 poeple that decided they diddn't like the pump when they tried it (you're the first 2 I've met in 7 years campainging). It also let me see the extreme change in quality of life and control for the most people that have made the change, it's nice to hear people are doing so well on their pumps. Keep posting it's been really interesting to hear all your views.

Pip Miles

Dislikes
fruit cake

I was wanting to go onto the pump after chatting to a lot of people who are on the pump on Facebook and them saying how life changing it was etc. Ive since changed my mind as Im now using a great BM monitor Accu-Check Aviva Expert and its really helped me to get the correct dose of insulin and its good at doing corection doses too so I dont have to work it all out myself now. I also recently found out the cost of an insuulin pump and was shocked at the costs :eek: Im not suprised the NHS are reluctant to hand them out to everyone lol. Ive had diabetes type 1 for 30 years so I feel a young child recently diagonsed should have priority over me . Im also not really that keen on having it attached to me all the time :?

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes

I'm on injections. But I would love to be on a pump.

For 15 years, I've struggled with daily injections and my Hba1C has remained high for as long as I can remember. I honestly think a pump will help with my control and balance into my busy life.

Type1Jim

Using a pump (3yrs) has been fantastic due to being able to alter the basal rates and it has had a positive effect on my diabetes. The downside is that if the pump goes wrong, you are more likely to be at risk of dka as I dont use a long acting insulin anymore.

chrisjmann

I dont accept the quoted costs of running these pumps. 2 things. First, if more were given out the the costs of purchase and running them would obviously decrease. This is normal. The second point is the well know issue of companies ripping off the NHS. In the private sector we have the opportunity to shop around but also have the bargaining power with suppliers to agree costs. Clearly there is no one in the NHS who does this. This is why hospitals pay £8 for a light bulb or £3000 for a laptop which you can get on the high street for £400. I wish the NHS wouldnt make diabetics and other people suffer because of their own mis-management!! If they bothered and planned better then this quoted £2500 could be £250. Now THAT is acceptable to all.

the_exile

8 quid for a lightbulb? 3 grand for a laptop? Sorry but i just don't believe that at all, I know the NHS has it's faults but I'm not believing a word of that.

The reason pumps are so expensive is that only a very very select few manufacturers make them, so they basicaly have carte blanche to set their own prices, there's no point moaning about it really as I can't blame them, "oh they're only worth 400 quid, but we can get away with charging them 2.5k, what shall we do?" what are they? stupid?!!! Of course they're going to set their own prices with such a lack of competition. Until 1 company starts charging a fair price for the pumps it won't change. It's not the NHS's fault.

The private sector can shop around for services which are in almost unlimited supply so of course they will get a good deal for whatever it is they are looking for, still, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant :mrgreen:

bigshankey01

i would like to be on a pump i really bad with my diabetes control. i have been dibetic since 2001 and never had good control. i am also 26 stone wich is never a good thing i just think if i had the pump i might be able to control it better.