Wow how am not already fully diabetic!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is one way to fast track diabetes.... not sure how that would even be good at any level, taste wise... :spitoutdummy:
We could try a diabetic friendly version with Halloumi chips and OPPO icecream. :hungry:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They do look like chips, and might go better with icecream.

Screenshot 2019-02-09 at 09.21.23.png

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/halloumi-fries

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Dipping in yoghurt... well, it's a dairy theme I guess. So why not ice cream? :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I should think it's quite easy for the average (not necessarily diabetic) person to consume 400 carbs a day, bowl of pasta, couple of slices of toast, bag of crisps, all those 'healthy' things full of hidden sugar. You wouldn't even have to be eating sweets and cakes either. Add those things in and you'd be nearer 800.
And Big Food would be cheering that person on !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You seemed to of dodged the bullet, nice job.

It's amazing what can be achieved when you do the opposite to conventional dietary guidelines. :D
Too right @Tophat1900, Particularly if those guidelines have been 'doctored' by Big Food.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
And Big Food would be cheering that person on !!

Now I feel cheated.... I ate like that once, maybe not quite that bad, but I never got anything from big food, not even a card.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That is where I live :)

That is one way to fast track diabetes.... not sure how that would even be good at any level, taste wise... :spitoutdummy:
Good to hear you are an Aussie, @Tophat1900. The great Aussie dessert, difficult to escape unless you can swim a long way !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Now I feel cheated.... I ate like that once, maybe not quite that bad, but I never got anything from big food, not even a card.
But they got some of our money and maybe their idea of a reward was those little toys in boxes of cereals !!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good to hear you are an Aussie, @Tophat1900. The great Aussie dessert, difficult to escape unless you can swim a long way !!

Born and bred. Growing up, dessert was mandatory. My parents still follow that rule. Been along time since I ate ice cream or pavlova or fruit cake with half inch thick layer of icing on top.... :D

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Born and bred. Growing up, dessert was mandatory. My parents still follow that rule. Been along time since I ate ice cream or pavlova or fruit cake with half inch thick layer of icing on top.... :D
Yeah, same here. Hot weather doesn't help. Ice-cream the excuse to cool you down. Ricotta cheese just does not taste the same!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't you have any low carb icecream like OPPO in Australia?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Don't you have any low carb icecream like OPPO in Australia?

Never seen anything like that here, except ones that are full of sugar alcohols which are also low fat. Yuck!

I used to make my own, can't remember how or what I did with the recipe. Might have to experiment again now with all this ice cream talk.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
At least you have low carb potatoes. :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
At least you have low carb potatoes. :)

Yeah, Carisma potatoes are the low carb ones I have tried in the past. Cook them, then cool them over night in the fridge and reheat. You can cool and reheat a number of times. Lowers the impact on bg levels. 100g works out at about 10g of carbohydrate.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, Carisma potatoes are the low carb ones I have tried in the past. Cook them, then cool them over night in the fridge and reheat. You can cool and reheat a number of times. Lowers the impact on bg levels. 100g works out at about 10g of carbohydrate.
We need to get those over here. I have stopped eating chips now.

Nice tip about cooling and reheating. Does that apply to other foods?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We need to get those over here. I have stopped eating chips now.

Nice tip about cooling and reheating. Does that apply to other foods?
I had reheated pasta last night - tested after 21/2 hours and my BS was 6.00 which is about normal for me after pasta. Why not test to see what affect potatoes etc have - I tried a jacket potato a couple of weeks ago and my BS was 7.5 after 1 hour and 6.1 after 2 hours. My nemesis though is still Scampi as that puts me up to 9.5 and is still at 8.00 after 3 hours so I have taken that off my menu although may try again in a year or so.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I had reheated pasta last night - tested after 21/2 hours and my BS was 6.00 which is about normal for me after pasta. Why not test to see what affect potatoes etc have - I tried a jacket potato a couple of weeks ago and my BS was 7.5 after 1 hour and 6.1 after 2 hours. My nemesis though is still Scampi as that puts me up to 9.5 and is still at 8.00 after 3 hours so I have taken that off my menu although may try again in a year or so.

I didn't like what a jacket potatoe did to my levels either, so if I do eat the low carb ones I use Carissma ones here. Just not a fan of wheat products like bread or pasta. And I found it didn't work so well for me when reheating and cooling pasta, but I try it just to see. @Listlad

Reactions: kitedoc