Wow how am not already fully diabetic!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, I thought I would play around with my nutracheck app and work out what my carbs were on a typical day before I started this journey. Just a small figure of 390grams a day I feel very lucky to have been given the warning of prediabetes, and am working hard on reversing it if I can. I now eat 30g a day and feel great. Never thought I'd manage it, I do miss a nice slice of toast in the morning but it's not the end of the world.
It's amazing what we can do with the right mindset.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that lass! I have often wondered how many carbs I used to have before diagnosis but tbh I don't react well to seeing numbers in the thousands ;).

Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Kevyu and AngiH

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, what a turnaround, keep at it, and D will be a thing of the past. (Or should I say least well-controlled!)

Reactions: Prem51 and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, it actually made me feel proud that I've cut that low straight away. I'm just tucking in to my nice plate of scrambled eggs, a tomato and chicken before work...

Reactions: Prem51

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, I was doing similar figures to you, and have quite easily gone down to 120 ish, the next step needs a little more planning I think. Nice to hear you’ve managed so easily

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, I thought I would play around with my nutracheck app and work out what my carbs were on a typical day before I started this journey. Just a small figure of 390grams a day I feel very lucky to have been given the warning of prediabetes, and am working hard on reversing it if I can. I now eat 30g a day and feel great. Never thought I'd manage it, I do miss a nice slice of toast in the morning but it's not the end of the world.
It's amazing what we can do with the right mindset.
Congrats @AngiH

Please can you summarise what carbs you do eat for that 30grams worth each day?

Many thanks.

Reactions: kitedoc

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats @AngiH

Please can you summarise what carbs you do eat for that 30grams worth each day?

Many thanks.
Hiya yes of course, I've listed my meals from yesterday with carbs.
Breakfast nothing as fast til 1pm.
Lunch
1 tomato 2.5 grams
Scrambled eggs 1gram (if that)
3 asda extra special high meat sausages 6.6grams for all 3.
50% reduced sugar/salt tomato sauce 1.8

Evening snack as home late
Cucumber 0.6
Chicken 0
Grated cheese 1

5 raspberries 1
Sugar free jelly 1.3
Double cream 1.5

So yesterday was in fact 17.3 grams of carb. I only drink water through the day.
If I'm not working late I will make a diet doctor meal with beef mince and never more than 6 or 7 grams per meal.

I'm not even hungry with which is great.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AngiH, that was a drastic reduction in carbs! Out of interest, does your app also give before and after calories? I lost weight as a welcome but unexpected bonus to lowering BG by reducing my carbs but I suspect I also reduced calories. I don't really know what was my previous consumption of carbs or calories.

Reactions: kitedoc and AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AngiH, that was a drastic reduction in carbs! Out of interest, does your app also give before and after calories? I lost weight as a welcome but unexpected bonus to lowering BG by reducing my carbs but I suspect I also reduced calories. I don't really know what was my previous consumption of carbs or calories.
Hi Mr Pot,
I didn't even think to look at the calories as the carbs were bad enough but just work it out at just under 3000 cals - I am now eating 1000. My limit is 1300. When you look back it really makes you think....but at the time I was just always planning my next meal as I was always hungry. I now understand this is down to those evil carbs..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I suspect a lot of people on LCHF have reduced their calories although they think they haven't because they're not hungry.

Reactions: AngiH

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya yes of course, I've listed my meals from yesterday with carbs.
Breakfast nothing as fast til 1pm.
Lunch
1 tomato 2.5 grams
Scrambled eggs 1gram (if that)
3 asda extra special high meat sausages 6.6grams for all 3.
50% reduced sugar/salt tomato sauce 1.8

Evening snack as home late
Cucumber 0.6
Chicken 0
Grated cheese 1

5 raspberries 1
Sugar free jelly 1.3
Double cream 1.5

So yesterday was in fact 17.3 grams of carb. I only drink water through the day.
If I'm not working late I will make a diet doctor meal with beef mince and never more than 6 or 7 grams per meal.

I'm not even hungry with which is great.
Thanks.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great job cutting down those carbs!

I was diagnosed with diabetes and started LCHF in July 2018. Sometimes on grocery trips I read the food labels of different foods I used to eat. It's shocking when I read them now and see the carb and sugar count!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Well done.

I used to be well over your figure.

It would have been cereal, couple of slices of marmalade (miss that) on toast and orange juice, before leaving the house!

There is probably an easy 200 right there.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should think it's quite easy for the average (not necessarily diabetic) person to consume 400 carbs a day, bowl of pasta, couple of slices of toast, bag of crisps, all those 'healthy' things full of hidden sugar. You wouldn't even have to be eating sweets and cakes either. Add those things in and you'd be nearer 800.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should think it's quite easy for the average (not necessarily diabetic) person to consume 400 carbs a day, bowl of pasta, couple of slices of toast, bag of crisps, all those 'healthy' things full of hidden sugar. You wouldn't even have to be eating sweets and cakes either. Add those things in and you'd be nearer 800.
I totally agree, it's opened my eyes that's for sure. I don't even want to think about those days when we'd have a takeaway - chippy, pizza, Chinese and chocolate. Not all together though I might add to be honest it makes me feel quite disgusted with myself and how I ate..I fed my hunger with more and more sugar.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done @AngiH

fantastic effort and as noted almost 'easy' to do.

you make me think what mine used to be.
Not done the maths but a normal day, might see.

Cereal Big bowl not the tiny portions they advise..maybe two bowls ..semi skimmed milk.
bananas maybe two.

snack of a sandwich maybe towards 12/1 pm

maybe and evening meal..pizza whole..or chinese with rice and crackers, on indian samosas and curry and rice and naan and poppadoms.
the occasional cooked meal mash or chips or roasted pots...most microwaveable meals from stores.
couple of lagers..or if being sensible couple of glasses of fruit juices..orange/apple..or a robinsons type diluted.
ice cream..salted caramel....aahhh.

carbs cals..EXTREME.
oh the shame.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You seemed to of dodged the bullet, nice job.

It's amazing what can be achieved when you do the opposite to conventional dietary guidelines. :D

Reactions: AloeSvea and Prem51

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
well done @AngiH

fantastic effort and as noted almost 'easy' to do.

you make me think what mine used to be.
Not done the maths but a normal day, might see.

Cereal Big bowl not the tiny portions they advise..maybe two bowls ..semi skimmed milk.
bananas maybe two.

snack of a sandwich maybe towards 12/1 pm

maybe and evening meal..pizza whole..or chinese with rice and crackers, on indian samosas and curry and rice and naan and poppadoms.
the occasional cooked meal mash or chips or roasted pots...most microwaveable meals from stores.
couple of lagers..or if being sensible couple of glasses of fruit juices..orange/apple..or a robinsons type diluted.
ice cream..salted caramel....aahhh.

carbs cals..EXTREME.
oh the shame.

Like a lot of people, been there, done that! :D

Pretty horrendous when you look back at it all. I was in a real bad relationship with ice cream and many toppings. Along with fried chips.... not in the same bowl.

Reactions: neithskye

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was in a real bad relationship with ice cream and many toppings. Along with fried chips.... not in the same bowl.
Why not?! They do in Australia! :)

Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 11.01.17.png

https://ellaslist.com.au/articles/hot-chips-or-ice-cream-cant-decide-have-both

Reactions: KK123