wow that is amazing

radisson

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
This is my first entry on the forums as im one of those shy folk that just listen and read everything. So here goes with my first entry. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just 10 weeks ago by my Gp. I then had a meeting with the practice nurse who confirmed this as my HbA1c was 60. She asked me if i wanted to take meds or try to change my lifestyle so i decided medication ( I have a incurable cancer also, a sarcoma in my back and this means that physical exercise is pretty impossible due to the pain for which i take morphine) as i thought it was going to be difficult to lose weight. I have put on four stone whilst living with the cancer. So i had my medication and my diagnosis of type 2 but before i started this journey i decided to do some research and i soon found your forum so after much reading and research on the topic i changed my mind, put the meds away and began a low carb diet of below 50g a day (worth a try). I didnt find it as hard as i thought it would be honestly ( oh go on then, i really miss the bread).
After following the new low carb diet for only 8 weeks, my HbA1c was repeated and here are my results it was 60 and it is now 40 just 8 weeks later (within NICE guidelines) and to add to this i have lost 15kgs in the 8 weeks. My nurse said wow that is amazing
Im not the worlds best forum person however I just wanted to let people know that im just an ordinary person, i take lots of medicines for my cancer and i live with 2 diseases now but with determination i found a positive way and the low carb stuff works as a way to manage my diabetes.I wanted to share my success with everyone who lives with diabetes.
Thanx to everyone who writes on the forums on behalf of all the listeners
xx

Reactions: 28 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done and thanks for sharing your success with diabetes Radisson.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done!

Keep fighting! No-one can ask for more!

Welcome to the forum and keep asking and sharing.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great work, and a great, positive attitude.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! Well done! Welcome to the forum.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on taking controll of the bs, you are an inspiration

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Brilliant! thats fantastic! i have read that cancers feed off of sugar so who knows what other benefits cutting out the carbs may have :) keep up the great work, i agree with others, your an inspiration and very brave to post :)

Reactions: 4 people

radisson

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im getting brave now and going to ask a question lol. Btw thanx so much for all the lovely positive replies to my success story. If just one person gets that light bulb moment from my honesty then my heart is happy.
My question is my fasting/morning @8.10am BS is variable from early 5s to late 7s. I eat nothing after 6pm the previous evening and i only drink water. Can i do anything to help theses sugars or is it all physiological and my insulin reactions.
Thanx rad

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sheeesh do you ever shut up? lol

its called the dawn phenomenon, basically our liver is doing what it should, it produces some glucose because we have fasted overnight and therefore it deems it necessary to give us an energy boost to start us off for the day and until we can put some in ourselves, this perfectly normal and in a non diabetic its a good thing, the trouble is our livers don't know we can't handle the glucose too well so it carrys on doing this if we like it or not, so its very hard to avoid the early morning highs, but! as our controls gets better so does our dawn readings, this used to upset me as i was/am obsessed with good numbers so much so i never tested in the morning because it would start the day off on a sour note lol, so in answer to your question.....no

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Fantastic and inspirational Radisson, well done!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you!:) It's great that you are so proactive :)
And congratulations on your first posts too ! Welcome !

Signy

radisson

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanx again for the replies, and Jack thanx, i take on board the advice. I currently take on between 30g and 50g of carbs a day,and i have a real lazy life due to the cancer and lack of mobility, yet the practice nurse was concerned and pleaded with me to eat more carbs!!! Why would this be, when for any sensible person it is quite obvious with my meticulous record keepingthat im doin ok. My other question guys is once you guys are established and you know your Bs, having tested millions of times and foods which spike etc,etc. How many times and when do you test ??? I suspect this has been answered numerous times on the forums but i started to look and ended up reading about benefit sanctions so i gave up ( note to self....... dont be too easily distracted lol)
Thanx
rad x x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i dont test any more, i used to test upto 15 times a day but its pointless now, i do the odd random tests or if i eat something new or naughty but mainly dont bother, i know the result

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still test regularly. I always test fasting, pre-meal and bedtimes to keep an eye on my base levels. I only test after meals when I'm experimenting.