JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not wishing to be judgmental but the op admits to drinking and being in charge of a motor vehicle and having an accident what does he expect.

I have come to the conclusion alcohol and driving just don't mix if I'm driving I don't drink alcohol if I'm going to drink alcohol I do not drive simples.

Reactions: porl69 and HSSS

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Op is best off probably not commenting anymore.......................

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
After completing some work and having a drink I ventured to our local bar to visit with the public. The time was 11:30 pm. I shared a round of drinks with a friend and fail to recollect the events in the hours that follow.

To be fair, we are all assuming that round of drinks was alcoholic, but he did not say so. He could have been drinking lemonade

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
To be fair, we are all assuming that round of drinks was alcoholic, but he did not say so. He could have been drinking lemonade

I'll bet the house on the fact he didn't

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Interestingly enough. Though th OP's story is sketchy. I'm keeping an open mind.
This is a support forum at he end of the day..

Over 30 years ago after a night out drinking soft drinks & finishing the evening with a "swift 'alf."
I found myself treating a hypo on the way back to my car parked up in a dark area.
As in sat in my seat rumaging through the glovebox & scoffing more sweets, i became awair of a police car cut into the space in front of where I was parked up.
Next thing a copper was knocking at my window. I wound it down rather gobsmacked.

Long story short they thought I was stealing my own car. But the officer had smelt my breath & decided to breathalize me..
They knew very little about Diabetes. The rules regarding hypoglycemia & driving are a lot clearer now than they were when I passed my test. All they wanted to know on the DVLA forms was are you hypo aware.

So they kept me in the back of their car making small talk for 20minutes & got me to blow in "the box."

I got a red light on the box. & was run down to the local nick, put in a room with a bigger breathalizer machine & waited two hours whilst they went looking for a mouth piece for the tube..? (The longer they wait, the higher the alcahol content metabolised in the body..)

By this time my BG was back in range. Soooo, I blew in the machine & the officer in attendance went "oh?! Barely a trace."
I mentioned that it may sound like a cliche, but I was telling the truth about the "half."
He replied, "you got to do it again. Keep blowing..."
The second reading was lower than the first & I was released without charge. With a lecture on drink driving. They even took me back to my car..

That was the first time I ever allowed alcahol past my lips holding the car keys & most certainly was the last..

We all do stupid stuff in our yoof, the trick is not doing anything that you'd regret putting lives in danger.. Including yer own.

Now I always thought the officer's handheld breathalizer device that night was calibrated lower or I had a funny metabolism with drink.?
As I mentioned, I was comming up off a low. The focus being treating & getting back in range before starting the car..
I lose confidence when I drop.

But, I found this, https://www.losangelesduiattorney.com/glossary/diabetes-and-blood-alcohol-level/

Certainly I wouldn't advise drinking any alcohol if you intend to drive.

I'm going to tag in @bulkbiker & @Jim Lahey who know a thing or two about keto to check the link I found..

Though personally @thatgy . You'd be best off holding your hands up based on your recollection of events.?

I got no reason to judge. You had a night out. It ended not as expected..

D

Deleted member 308541

I am wondering how many alcoholic drinks were in the round (shout), I cannot see soft drink being involved here in this scenario...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No point guessing @Tipetoo :) ... way too many unknowns that will remain that way.

Reactions: porl69
M

Member496333

@Jaylee that link does not work for me, but if it's about ketones and testing positive for alcohol breath tests, then yes, it is apparently a thing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee that link does not work for me, but if it's about ketones and testing positive for alcohol breath tests, then yes, it is apparently a thing.

Thanks Jim. Sorry the link don't work for you.

In short on the Amarican site.

"During hypoglycemia, your body may enter a state called ketoacidosis. This is a metabolic state where the body gets energy by breaking down its fat reserves (normally, the body gets energy from blood sugar). This state produces a high level of compounds called ketones in the blood.

When you take a breath test, the testing device uses infrared light to scan the chemical composition of your breath. It’s looking for ethyl alcohol, but it also picks up ketones by accident. A high ketone level can cause you to get a falsely high BAC result. The same thing can happen to people who eat a low carb, high protein diet."

I appreciate the mix up twix keytosis & ketoacitosis.
I also found suggestions that during a low BG episode, the body can also break down fat reserves in an atempt to survive..?
On too much exogenous insulin, that could be a loosing battle if not treated with faster acting carbs..

M

Member496333

@Jaylee Not really sure about that in the case of an insulin overdose hypo. Insulin blocks lipolysis so in theory this shouldn’t happen. You’d expect it if a type 1 was having a hyper from lack of insulin, experiencing glucose starvation in the cells, and then oxidising fat.

All in theory, of course.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Not really sure about that in the case of an insulin overdose hypo. Insulin blocks lipolysis so in theory this shouldn’t happen. You’d expect it if a type 1 was having a hyper from lack of insulin, experiencing glucose starvation in the cells, and then oxidising fat.

All in theory, of course.

Yep, I agree.. But during a "hypo" the body is also depleted of blood glucose. So is it not possible simalar may apply?
(Prior to total shut down, if not treated.)

In theory of course.

Hey! I've just found this "nugget." :D

M

Member496333

It’s certainly one to ponder...

I know if I ever get stopped I’m likely to be in trouble since I’m permanently in heavy ketosis @~3mmol :nurse:

Honest occifer it was the ribeye wot done it :wacky:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add @Jim Lahey ,

This was based on my own experince of being breath tested whilst low. Over 30 years ago & failing..
2.5 hours later? Back in the "zone." Released without charge. Not so much as a caution..

Who knows what would have happened at the nick if I had over treated?

brooker

When you are questioned by the police ALWAYS say either, I want a Lawyer, or I'd love to help you but I have nothing to say at this time and say nothing.
I had a similar experience years ago. I did not eat any breakfast and on the 3 hour driving way home, I passed out at roughly 60 miles an hour and awoke, just before my car went into a ditch and would have sustained huge damages and possibly my loss of life and also my dogs, which were in the back unrestrained.
When I tried to get out of my car, on the verge, I barely could, it was as if my arms and legs were really heavy and when I was standing outside of my car, I could not walk without supporting myself on the bonnet of my car.
I felt like I was almost paralyzed and had to drag myself to move.
I am a Teetotaler and I have never smoked, or taken drugs.
I was traveling behind a friend who saw me slump and black out and save my car (and dogs) at the last moment and who came back to render assistance to me and she had some bars of chocolate which I ate and that restored my feelings and ability to drive further, until we could stop at a roadside Cafe and eat a decent breakfast.
In hindsight, I realized I had not eaten since the evening tea, the day before and in all probability, my body had run out of sugar- energy and had ceased to function, as a result.
Now, before I drive anywhere, I make sure I have eaten a decent amount, to counter the same thing ever happening again.
I read, from above, that the person who wrote this article had not eaten anything for some time, but he had drunk booze on an empty stomach and I would say that when his body ran out of material based food, as you would eat for a meal, the booze was not enough to sustain him and like me he passed out.
His problem was not so much the alcohol intake as not having enough food in his stomach to line it and also provide him with the energy his body needed to keep going and the alcohol had a detrimental effect on his body functions and that's why he passed out.
It is a really good idea to make sure you don't go anywhere hungry, irrespective of if you are driving or not, because when your body runs out of energy, so will you and that could be a blackout at the worst possible time when you are completely at the mercy of circumstances and where ever fate finds you then..
A word from the wise!!

brooker

Um, I forgot to mention - drink lots of water.
The water here tastes foul, so I flavor it with sugar free cordial to taste.
Best Wishes

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
*humming trololol* people please recognise when you're being trolled
That did cross my mind- specifically framing it in terms of 'I'm sure I wasn't drunk because I'd already blacked out by that point' did look like a Homer Simpson gag. I'm a bit suspicious of the brother being 'Tyler' too, when the English used doesn't look American or even English, and of course, the arrest and release details don't make any sense. Still, if it was a troll, it was a fun one: I personally think it's for real- 'Thatgy' has got into some sort of trouble, either with the police or his wife, and is testing the water to see if a diabetes defence is remotely plausible.
Might as well offer any support we can!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the risk of ketosis (or ketoacidosis) causing you to fail the roadside screening test I’m not sure how they’ve progressed in terms of differentiation between alcohol and ketones since the experiences quoted above. At the police station you have the right to make medical representation that breath is unsuitable and request blood instead. They don’t have to agree though. If you fail the substantive breath test by a smallish amount they do offer a urine of blood follow up. Take the blood option! You also have the right to request medical assistance if you suspect your health is compromised. I think in the circumstances I’d want checking for ketones by a dr and blood test. ketoacidosis you know;) (despite being a non medicated type 2 it’s unlikely but a useful “concern” if I was in ketosis and arrest for drink driving whilst sober).