Wristbands

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Slightly off topic but I was on a Red Cross First Aid course last month and the presenter said giving some immediate glucose was the best advice. If you are hyper then the small additional glucose will not cause any harm and to not do that risks a hypo deepening which can be harmful.

That because as a nurse you were trained based on having the equipment to do so at hand, along with having time. So clearly when able to check BG first you do so. I hope any nurse with access to a meter would check BG before giving sugar regardless of any wristband.

Personally, I do not want most people knowing I have diet controlled Type2 in an emergency as it may slow them down, and does not change any standard first aid. It's on my national NHS records, so anyone in a hospital setting will know as soon as they have my name etc. And if I can't speak to give my name, then I very much expect BG would be checked.

(The training I have had is “mountain first aid” when you don’t have access to anything and it may take 2 or 3 hours to get help.)

I agree First Aid advice obviously difers from hospital treatments where we had the luxury of monitoring equipment. I was also thinking more of paramedic and A/E scenarios (that’s the nurse in me) than collapsing on a mountainside or on the beach!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Daibell I was given that advice as well, I was told it's better to go too high rather than too low.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP asked if he could get a free wristband anywhere the answer should have been a simple yes with the details if anyone did know where to get one. He did not ask anything else certainly not if others thought it was necessary for him to wear one or not that is up to him I am not surprised he felt patronised.