Wristbands

Jase69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was just wondering whether or not you can get free wristbands or bracelets from anywhere?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know about free but you can get them from eBay for under a fiver.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wristbands are not needed just because you have Type2, but are of benefit if you on drugs/inslin with a risk of Hypos as they will result in any medics starting with a BG test. (Likewise, anyone who has had first aid training, will know to consider hypos if they see your risk band.)

Jase69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wristbands are not needed just because you have Type2, but are of benefit if you on drugs/inslin with a risk of Hypos as they will result in any medics starting with a BG test. (Likewise, anyone who has had first aid training, will know to consider hypos if they see your risk band.)
I know they're not needed I was just simply asking, I've had diabetes for a while just newbie on this patronising page, but thanks

Reactions: Bunnyluv_

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2s may not need to have ID to indicate their diagnosis, but I feel happier wearing my SOS Talisman, it might just prevent me being hitched up to a Dextrose drip if I was rendered unconscious!

Reactions: therower

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No if you complete the survey it asks what wristband you would like among the choices are insulin dependent and also T2 diabetes.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2s may not need to have ID to indicate their diagnosis, but I feel happier wearing my SOS Talisman, it might just prevent me being hitched up to a Dextrose drip if I was rendered unconscious!

The Dextrose drip will not kill you, unlike a hypo. The wristbands have two main usages.
  • Stops people (including the police) assuming that a person who has been drinking can be just left to sleep it off.
  • Allows pragmatics to choose who to check first if they have lots of people to deal with. (Think Manchester bombing.)
My first aid training was to always give sugar to someone with diabetes (regardless of type) if they are feeling or looking faint, as the hospital will have more than enough time to undo any harm from making a high BG even higher and the person is going to hospital to get checkout unless they run away before the ambulance arrives.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Dextrose drip will not kill you, unlike a hypo. The wristbands have two main usages.
  • Stops people (including the police) assuming that a person who has been drinking can be just left to sleep it off.
  • Allows pragmatics to choose who to check first if they have lots of people to deal with. (Think Manchester bombing.)
My first aid training was to always give sugar to someone with diabetes (regardless of type) if they are feeling or looking faint, as the hospital will have more than enough time to undo any harm from making a high BG even higher and the person is going to hospital to get checkout unless they run away before the ambulance arrives.
As I said I’m happier wearing ID. Don’t like to pull rank but my nurses’ training says you check any diabetics’ blood sugar before instigating treatment. We’ll have to agree to differ here.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be better having a tattoo near the wrist instead so that the ambulance can see straightaway.

Something like -

“Type 1 Diabetic”

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think the OP was asking about the availability of free wristbands not our opinion on whether he needs one or not.

If he thinks he needs one then that is his prerogative.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jase69 . Welcome to the forum. As a T1 it's highly unlikely our paths will cross in the future.
In answer to question, I believe one poster may have posted an appropriate link.
Sadly at times some posters fail to answer questions and choose to provide information not requested instead.
Please don't feel patronised, there's some very knowledgeable people here, especially T2's

D

Deleted member 308541

I was just wondering whether or not you can get free wristbands or bracelets from anywhere?
You probably can, but it is far easier to search for ones that you pay a nominal price for.

I paid $20.00 for a credit card size medical id card several months ago which has all my medical details and contacts on it when scanned.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I said I’m happier wearing ID. Don’t like to pull rank but my nurses’ training says you check any diabetics’ blood sugar before instigating treatment. We’ll have to agree to differ here.

That because as a nurse you were trained based on having the equipment to do so at hand, along with having time. So clearly when able to check BG first you do so. I hope any nurse with access to a meter would check BG before giving sugar regardless of any wristband.

Personally, I do not want most people knowing I have diet controlled Type2 in an emergency as it may slow them down, and does not change any standard first aid. It's on my national NHS records, so anyone in a hospital setting will know as soon as they have my name etc. And if I can't speak to give my name, then I very much expect BG would be checked.

(The training I have had is “mountain first aid” when you don’t have access to anything and it may take 2 or 3 hours to get help.)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ringi . So is it fair to say that the answer to the OP's question is a " DO NOT KNOW"

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a rubber wristband and a very nice silver and blue heart bracelet which I think was $2 off Wish which is really nice.

Reactions: ringi

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Slightly off topic but I was on a Red Cross First Aid course last month and the presenter said giving some immediate glucose was the best advice. If you are hyper then the small additional glucose will not cause any harm and to not do that risks a hypo deepening which can be harmful.