Write a letter to your diabetes!

WhitbyJet

claymic said:
Dear Diabetes

I hate you too....never figured out why out of all my family (extended and not) (and i have loadsssss)..i was the one saddled with you. It has been 7 years and i thought i was winning maybe 2 years out of those. i was busy dealing with moving countries, getting married, getting divorced, recovering and making a life for myself, so it was easy to put you on the sidelines.
now you are biting back! some days i think that i am making headway, most days i despair because i know there is no way out and that maybe i am too late. i will always be like this..i ll probably have to give up about having kids..i have to always feel "not normal" and it SUCKS!!!!

Ciao
Clay

claymic - you are doing good things, getting gums and teeth sorted, you are sorting out diet and bg levels, give it time, dont lose hope, its all steps in the right direction.
I have had 3 beautiful children, you might have one of your own too one day, never say never. Get yourself healthy first, its called pre-conceptual care, you have something to aim for.
Big hug and good wishes x x

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Whitby

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of being in my 20's so I know there is time to have kids. The clock is ticking - FAST and somehow I do not think that even if it takes me a couple of years to get in check and keep good levels anyone will encourage first diabetic pregnancy at 37/38 :( :(

shop

Hi Claymic,

Its your body and If you are determined enough with the right pre conceptual care you never know. I found the hosp DRs didnt encourage me to have another but I also have thyroid probs and my Mum had a congenital heart defect. I also have a beautiful healthy child already. Plus I think the menopause is starting ( I am now 42. ) What I mean is don't be put of because of what you think others may think. I am sure there are plenty of encouraging Drs out there.

Good wishes too..xxx

shop

Hi Diabetes,

I suppose like most, I have resented you, wanted to be normal, been in denial and at times tried to distance myself from you. The wanting to be normal and blend in bit has led me to mismanage you, which long term will perhaps mean that you have the right to come back and bit me on the bum with complications!!! I am starting to realise that in order to feel normal I need to accept you and in order to do that, I need to control you. So I need to be brave and not be ashamed of bg testing and if neccesary injecting in public. Together with my new best friend carb counting I am sure we can learn to get along nicely. ( with the odd tiff now and again )

Lucy. :)

Defren

Diabetes, (I will not honour you with the prefix dear)

You may have won the battle, I WILL win the war!!

Unbeliever

Interesting thread! I thought aboout contributing but all that came into my head was a string of naughty words. I never realised I knew so many :lol:

Did it make anyone feel better?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I felt better for doing it even if I couldn't use some of my more 'Colourful' language! 8)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Some great letters here, Paul, you make me put my own problems into perspective, carry on with the battle and you always have your compatriots on this forum to support you, and they will :D So good to see you still have a great sense of humour. Take care.

Love your post shop, as I know exactly where you at, trying to go on as normal just doesn't seem to work, because sometimes I go on too normal and ignore the beast, then - as with you, it comes back to bite me in the bum!

Unbeliever (interesting name, does it relate to diabetes I wonder), I feel better because people are sharing their thoughts and feelings and it just helps put my own problems into perspective.

Hugs and best wishes to you all - keep up the fight and we will battle on together, and share our good and bad days with our buddies on this forum, but don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back when you are succeeding :clap: and don't beat yourself up when you have a relapse, as I am sure all but the most saintly of us do :angel:
K

Unbeliever

HpprKmGot it in one about my username.Well almost, I suppose it refers more to he treatment and its consequences.

I get th feeling that things are improving despite the cuts. Fighting the system has changed me in many ways.

I just wish I had found his forum earlier than I did, I am one of those who really cannot tolerate any amount of starchy carbs.
I would never have discovered this but for this forum. I also eat low GI meals and small porios of them so for me a combined approach has worked and he carb reduction was the missing piece of the jigsaw.

I think it quite likely that I am a no a T2 but have enough to cope with without going into all that. Besides my main problem is my lack of trust and belief in those credited wih and paid for treating my diabetes.

I am sure that treatment in the future will be more focused so hope my somewhat pessimistic outlook on my own behalf does not adversely affect anyone else.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've been through a lot recently Shy Girl so I'm sending you some )))hugs(((, it won't make your diabetes better but I feel for you.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Dear Pancreas, Liver and Diabetes Type 2 ...

We've only recently really got to know each other after living together for many years without even noticing each other. I wish I'd discovered you sooner because if I had I'd have been eating better, enjoying my food a lot more and my quality of life would have been much better too. This 'late onset' thing is a myth. You and I both know that we don't discover each other overnight, it's the diagnosis that is 'late in coming' is what the medicals really mean and it's also the pancreas and liver which need the help so I'm writing to them too. Pancreas and Liver, I'm sorry you're having a hard time supplying the insulin I need to deal with my carbs, and I hope you recover soon when you've had a good rest which the Metformin is allowing.

I'd love a fully functioning pancreas and liver that can handle carbs without a problem so that the goodness from the food I eat and the drinks I drink actually makes its way into my organs and muscles and every fibre of my body where they're needed. It's no fun walking around in an energy starved body. I'm sure if my pancreas managed to take a rest and heal itself, we'd be quite happy to wave each other goodbye. I know you don't mean me any harm, in fact, you're doing your best to let me know what to eat under the circumstances.

Also, I hope the pancreas and liver of my children and grandchildren are and stay in, excellent working order for their whole lives but I'm still encouraging them to watch their carb intake and how their bodies are behaving and to check their blood glucose regularly, just in case. So thank you for alertin me in time to pass that information on to them. That means a lot to me. :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Dear Pancreas, Liver, and the rest of my body,

Quit this diabetes nosense or I'll make you do another half-marathon.

Love and kisses

Stephen

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Dear Diabetes

GIVE IN YET?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
xyzzy said:
Dear Diabetes

GIVE IN YET?

Dear Xyzzy's diabetes,

Don't quit so easily. A couple of packs of Chocolate Hobnobs and he'll be done for.

Love and Kisses

Borofergie

Pneu

borofergie said:
xyzzy said:
Dear Diabetes

GIVE IN YET?

Dear Xyzzy's diabetes,

Don't quit so easily. A couple of packs of Chocolate Hobnobs and he'll be done for.

Love and Kisses

Borofergie

I just spat my coffee all over my screen... His diabetes has actually been a help for myself! It's nice to have someone in the family that is sort of experiencing the same thing and now is as understanding of the subject.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Pneu said:
borofergie said:
xyzzy said:
Dear Diabetes

GIVE IN YET?

Dear Xyzzy's diabetes,

Love and Kisses

Borofergie

I just spat my coffee all over my screen... His diabetes has actually been a help for myself! It's nice to have someone in the family that is sort of experiencing the same thing and now is as understanding of the subject.

Yes just noticed you gave a T1 version of my basic T2 advice on another thread or is it that I give a T2 version of your T1 advice? :)

Whatever, they both work!

cavs

Dear Affliction,

You have always been a challenge but still, even with PSC, Colitis and a couple of other auto immune conditions I am kickng your ass.
After a year of nothing but steriods, anti-biotics and other sugar spiralling drugs I come back with a HbA1c of 7.6!
Suck that Type 1!!! :mrgreen:

You'll never beat me but you'll always be a part of me!
X

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Dear my diabete's ...
How I sometimes 'wish' that I could put you in my handbag thus seperating you from
me and your mischief to keep springing suprises on me.
You are sometimes soooo unpredictable and just do your own thing without rhyme or
reason !!!
Despite my own best efforts to work with you and get along well with you.
When I think I have you sussed - I am flummoxed even more to find that I haven't :roll:
With you in my handbag 'detatched' from me - I would have the chance to get a break/rest/holiday
from you...
Never going to "happen" this I know - but I can wish eh ...
I have you on board now for the rest of my life and have to accept this is how it will 'always be'
Cant we walk,talk,share together without the mysteries of the how? why? things change with you....
All I can work with is the foods I eat,stress,illness,antibiotics,flu/cortisol injections,dental treatment
or an bug,virus or infection brewing as a possible reason(s).
My meter tells me what is happening, as you remain ever silent , this is the hardest thing with you
your "silence" :shh: I know you're there but never know what you are up to...
You can worry and stress me at times - I wish you didnt - but you do !!!
You are a major part of me now and we have each day to share .
So lets just walk in one set of footprints and trust we can get it right together. x
Anna.