X-pert course - I was told no need to test?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only got one full day with both beginners course and then the Xpert refresher course .
Got them both done in a full day session .
How times have changed in less than 5 years .

Ten years ago, I got no course, only a short chat with practice nurse and a booklet from British Heart Foundation advising 6 - 8 portions of starchy carbs a day. I had already been following this advice for several years after gaining weight. Doh! I was a bit slow in recognising the link to more weight gain and T2 diagnosis. A prescription for Metformin and meter and strips were given. The test strips stopped 5 years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be interesting to inform health care professionals that the top bod is now advocating low carb!!

Wonder how long it will take to pass the the line?

Wonder what qualufications the course leaders of the xpert courses have?

In the meantime, it would appear that there persists on these courses the advice to eat starchy carbs at every meal, and do not bother to test BG levels.

How many course participants must there be who are condemned to a progression of complications of diabetes by slavishly following this advice?

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm going to check with my GPs on Weds whether they send people on xpert courses and then update them that the designer of the course has now brought out a book "eat fat".

Not a t2 but as part of the gp patient group I can get information to the gps easier than a direct patient appointment...

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It would be interesting to inform health care professionals that the top bod is now advocating low carb!!

Wonder how long it will take to pass the the line?

Wonder what qualufications the course leaders of the xpert courses have?
From Xpert website : http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

Who can become an X-PERT Educator?

Healthcare professionals, link workers and lay educators may attend training to deliver:

You may be employed by a licensed organisation or hold a freelance licence.
What competencies do I need to become an Educator?

We provide you with all the information, tools and techniques necessary. However, it will help to have the basic knowledge, skills and understanding of pre-diabetes/diabetes to deliver the relevant programme and also be familiar with adult education principles.

Recommended competencies to deliver different aspects of the programme can be found in the competency framework document

www.xperthealth.org.uk/Portals/0/Downloads/An%20Integrated%20Career%20and%20Competency%20Framework%20for%20Dietitians%20and%20Frontline%20Staff_2013_reduced%20memory.pdf

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to check with my GPs on Weds whether they send people on xpert courses and then update them that the designer of the course has now brought out a book "eat fat".

Not a t2 but as part of the gp patient group I can get information to the gps easier than a direct patient appointment...
Brilliant, @donnellysdogs . I am glad I never did one of these courses, but can't help feeling more than a bit miffed that someone can have such influence on many peoples' health, then change have a complete about turn on the advice given. I wonder does she recognise or acknowledge that previous info could have caused many T 2s to damage their health?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in Ribble valley too I have never been offered a course but we have 1 surgery in Blackburn and 1 in Ribble Valley so maybe that is why
CAROL

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People I know who have attended T2 X-pert courses say such things to me as ' I can eat what I always ate'. "I eat healthy carbs now, brown rice and wholewheat pasta, jacket potatoes, brown bread, bran flakes. Have to include some carbs at every meal". They think I am uneducated about T2 because I haven't been on a course, and say I am wrong to restrict the carbs in my diet, yet many of them have ever increasing BG, despite medication. Some have complications such as neuropathy and retina changes, whereas I am not on medication, and have well controlled BG.

I am getting quite annoyed!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in Ribble valley too I have never been offered a course but we have 1 surgery in Blackburn and 1 in Ribble Valley so maybe that is why
CAROL
Seems those of us not having attended a course, but getting our education from here on forum are the lucky ones.

Reactions: 8 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People I know who have attended T2 X-pert courses say such things to me as ' I can eat what I always ate'. "I eat healthy carbs now, brown rice and wholewheat pasta, jacket potatoes, brown bread, bran flakes. Have to include some carbs at every meal". They think I am uneducated about T2 because I haven't been on a course, and say I am wrong to restrict the carbs in my diet, yet many of them have ever increasing BG, despite medication. Some have complications such as neuropathy and retina changes, whereas I am not on medication, and have well controlled BG.

I am getting quite annoyed!
Don't be annoyed -- be smug. It's much more satisfying ;)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Fergus,Im also from Rossendale,but now live in Rochester Kent.
I did the X Pert course last year 6 sessions of 3 hrs,thought it was good at the time until I joined the forum,and relised it wasnt good advice at all.

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting quite annoyed![/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was about to say.
If Trudi expert Deakin is changing her advice, she needs to change her website for a start!

Reactions: 7 people

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting comments here. I'm seriously considering the benefits of this course, but will keep going if only to hear the diet advice! Ha ha...

If I hadn't been ill with a viral infection, I'd have spoken up but I was losing my voice, had swollen glands and sore throat. Speaking without having a coughing fit wasn't an option
:grumpy:

I'm disappointed because I'd really hoped this was going to be educational but this forum is and will remain my go-to place for information
I really don't understand the contradictory advice they give and it seems I'm not the only one!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I finally get to go on the local course, 2 3hr classes. Will be 4 months into diabetes for me when I go on the course, boy are they in for a surprise. Hehe. They gunna wish I hadn't gone.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be annoyed -- be smug. It's much more satisfying ;)

But I can't be smug. These are people I really care about, and they truly believe that the advice they have been given on these courses is going to help them to stay well. They believe that although they have high BG levels they would be higher still if they didn't follow the instructions given by the HCPs on these courses.

I am beyond annoyed. I am furious that somebody like Trudi Deakin can make a career, and possibly a comfortable living out of developing a system that gives info on health care for people with a chronic illness, when that info is at best of dubious benefit. Then after a while, shift emphasis to a different diet, but the old diet is still being preached to the unsuspecting, trusting individuals who are being instructed by people using the outdated information. All because Trudi Deakin has the kudos.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my own experience the course was as everybody else has shown that dietary advice is criminal!

Besides my own experience the OH has had the carbs with every meal changed to low carbs now. But, she was told by the dsn to stay away from the computer as the info was completely against medical recommendations!

Whose? I asked!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi all,

I went to my first (of 6) x-pert classes last week and we were all asked if we regularly tested ourselves. Out of almost 30 there were only 2 of us that did and we were then told we didnt need to. We would be monitored on our routine blood tests, as ordered by our GP's.
How are we meant to learn to control our diabetes if we dont test to see what spikes us?!
Its frustrating because I find that diabetics in general are slated and told we're diabetic because we're fat and unhealthy and told to "take control" but then denied the tools we need to do that.

I did Expert too and told the same "unless you are type one or taking Metformin you do not need to test" then we were served tea coffee and MALT LOAF I have had better control following forum advise and tips
oooh, that turned into a bit of a rant, didnt it? ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother was T2 for a number of years and, despite eating 'healthily' ie brown bread, jacket potatoes, pasta etc, etc, never lost a lot of weight and ended up on insulin. I now know it was because she was eating what her DN had advised was a balanced diet! Luckily for me I have access to the internet etc which has allowed me to research how to control my diabetes through diet and testing.

Reactions: 8 people

AndyLeslie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The 6-week Expert Diabetic Patient course I went on in Wales may or may not be the same as X-Pert, but it is offered to everyone who is diagnosed.
The courses are led by Diabetic Nurses, follow a strict curriculum and also have a Diabetic or two on hand for personal anecdotes and advice.

All Type 1s are told to test regularly, very few Type 2s are, because, it seems it world be rather expensive whilst occasional tests at the Doctor's practice are deemed "enough". I believed this for a while and then went out and got my own tester.

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This course is run by a nutritionist. Last week was more like weight watchers or something and the message was pretty much that we were diabetic because we were fat. The only discussion re type 1 or 2 was the causes really and that was week 1.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I was given a book last June The X-Pert Diabetes Programme.Virsion7
I think its very much out of date now. The nurse taught from the book.
Im going to order Trudi Deakins new one,she has changed her mind about diet.