Yakon/Yacon anybody?.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I am starting up my veggie-growing again fit this year and have some nice little chilli, pepper and aubegine seedlings sprouting in my heated propagator. And I have just sat down with a heap of catalogues from gardening companies I bought stuff from last year, and came across the aforementioned yakon. Which is a perennial root with a daisy-like flower, and is somewhat sweet due to a whole load of fructooligosaccharides (FOS). These are apparently indigestible and therefore do not affect BG. Same thing as inulin, I think.

Some of the descriptions I found online suggested it might have a minor positive effect on gut flora (but - could be gassy as a result) insulin resistance, insulin levels, weight loss, etc etc.

So I might grow some - not because of these maybe-good effects but because it shouldn’t have any impact on my BG levels and it apparently has a texture like a water-chestnut and an interesting flavour.

Has anyone tried it?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck. I have a bottle of syrup in my cupboard.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am starting up my veggie-growing again fit this year and have some nice little chilli, pepper and aubegine seedlings sprouting in my heated propagator. And I have just sat down with a heap of catalogues from gardening companies I bought stuff from last year, and came across the aforementioned yakon. Which is a perennial root with a daisy-like flower, and is somewhat sweet due to a whole load of fructooligosaccharides (FOS). These are apparently indigestible and therefore do not affect BG. Same thing as inulin, I think.

Some of the descriptions I found online suggested it might have a minor positive effect on gut flora (but - could be gassy as a result) insulin resistance, insulin levels, weight loss, etc etc.

So I might grow some - not because of these maybe-good effects but because it shouldn’t have any impact on my BG levels and it apparently has a texture like a water-chestnut and an interesting flavour.

Has anyone tried it?
Yep. It grew okay but you need a lot for a decent harvest. Never did find a nice way of using it so didn't try again. It was easy to grow. Am in SE of England.
Do let me know if you either grow it or eat it. I might like to try again