Yes!! and thank you all

peppiB

Having been a member here for nearly a month, asking questions and digesting the replies, along with reading just about everything, I went to GP this morning, followed by a session with DN. What a result. Having told them I had bought a meter and tested my own blood sugars, and reported results, I am now on Metformin to reduce levels. An annoying cough I have had for a year is now attributed to ramipril, so that has now been changed - and most importantly I now have an NHS meter and strips!! I made my case for having one, having been told that the local PCT was against funding them, and pointed out that as it was my body suffering the effects of high blood sugars and I was making efforts to reduce them, and until I became more stable I needed to measure BG - pointing out that if they were sending someone out onto the fells for the first time, they couldn't expect that person to survive without map and compass so how was I supposed to navigate my way through changes in blood sugars without a meter. My arguments won the day. I did mention to DN that I was low carbing. Her face lit up - I had found a kindred spirit! She low carbs, but says she is not allowed to tell her patents to try it as it goes against current advice for diabetics :shock:

Once again, thank you to all those who offered advice

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done1
I had a similar comment from my new DN

chocoholic

Her face lit up - I had found a kindred spirit! She low carbs, but says she is not allowed to tell her patents to try it as it goes against current advice for diabetics

:roll: :roll: :roll: I wonder how many other HCP's know the truth of what works but are told to keep that truth under wraps.

Well done you for putting your case well and getting that all important meter.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done you :D :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

samcogle

Excellent :)
I am still waiting for an appointment with a DN but I shall be putting my point across too. I like metformin...well I do since the wind has settled down :lol: and it supresses my appetite which is great for my weight loss.

MrsPugwash

chocoholic said:
Her face lit up - I had found a kindred spirit! She low carbs, but says she is not allowed to tell her patents to try it as it goes against current advice for diabetics

:roll: :roll: :roll: I wonder how many other HCP's know the truth of what works but are told to keep that truth under wraps.

Well done you for putting your case well and getting that all important meter.

Quite a few!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done peppiB, what an encouraging story!

Does make me wonder though. You know it works and your DN knows it works. But presumably unless you'd figured it out for yourself, she would have felt it impossible to recommend it to you?
In other words, the vast majority of diabetics in this country are being kept deliberately in the dark because a flawed hypothesis cannot accomodate some common sense.

Parallels between the internet and the Gutenberg printing press?

fergus

peppiB

You never know fergus, one day the NHS and its treatment of diabetics may emerge from the dark ages. Thank goodness for the internet!!

Trinkwasser

chocoholic said:

Not a few I suspect. Our nurses seem more able to go against Guidelines than our doctors.

There's a very real possibility that a GP could be sacked, look what happened with Anna Dahlquist in Sweden