YES!!!! HbA1c result.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
This time last year James was ill. Diagnosed T2 in late June he had brain fog, blurred vision, always asleep, drinking water by the gallon and peeing to match and was obese. I found this forum (and Blood Sugar 101) and he went immediately on to a low carb diet. Three weeks later his HbA1c was 75, the doctor had expected it to be much higher. I set a goal: to get an HbA1c in the middle of the normal range, i.e. 30 mmol/mol. And, guess what, today we have done it! I think that means that he is in the "4% club" at 4.9%. I know this sounds like showing off, but I'm so pleased, he is now so fit, slim and well, I want to share and hopefully to inspire someone else who is where we were this time last year.
Sally

Reactions: 14 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Amazing, well done James, great story. I wonder what his GP thought?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely not showing off, that is just wonderful and inspiring news. Well done to you both.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done to you both :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done James and Sally,

any low carb recipes to share?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scimama wrote, "any low carb recipes to share?"
Sounds silly, but not really, no. Not because I don't want to share, but because we chose not to go along the "low carb jam donut route", trying to make substitutes or use artificial sweeteners, but have focussed on meals of ingredients we can eat. However, there are some recipes, where I do use minor substitutes. For example, in soup recipes requiring potato, I use celeriac or lentils to thicken. If I want flour (in a small quantity, for savoury items) I use gram or chick pea flour. For chips, read butternut squash.
We make a lot of curry / casserole type meals. In the past these would have been served with rice/pasta/potato. Now, I will prepare a plain green vegetable to go on the side, often broccoli, for gravy dunking and provide a spoon for any excess liquid, rather than bread or mash.
Sally

Reactions: 6 people