1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Yes Or No To Artificial Sweetener Diabetes Type 2?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by azad1983, Jun 8, 2018.

1. azad1983

azad1983 Type 2 · Member

I am 5-8 and was weighing 86 kg when diagnosed and now I 78kg after following some low carb diet. I normally drink one or two cups of coffee a day with skimmed milk and no sugar.
    I am confused on artificial sweetener as there are lots of thing you find in online. Any advice please?

2. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use a little of it as I am not concerned about it's effects on my body and I wouldn't enjoy coffee without it. There is research showing it can raise BG a little and it can trigger hunger and weight gain as much as sugar would, so IMO a decision not to use it is reasonable. I just prefer to take the risk because I try not to sweat the small stuff. YMMV (your mileage may vary).

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

My question would be why the skimmed milk? And if you are ok without sweeteners then all the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Good question. However, I use skimmed milk in my tea (4 cups a day normally) because I hate creamy tea. I don't even like it with the semi skimmed that hubby uses.

I put sweeteners in my tea and coffee. I have been using sweetener that way since the 1980's when I went to Weight Watchers and have continued ever since. I'm still alive. I think!

• Like Like x 1
  5. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

I use only stevia, a natural non calories sweetener. It is not exactly the same like sugar but it is good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jenny15

Jenny15 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. Off the top of my head I don't remember the carb content of different types of milk but, in addition to higher fat, I wonder if full fat milk has slightly lower carbs too? I adore double cream btw.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook