Yogurt Maker

Birdlady1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was thinking of buying a yogert maker and making the plain or Greek yogert, does anyone know if this would be OK?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how much it costs and how much you can be bothered. A friend of mine makes his own yoghurt in a large jam jar.. its called viilli.. you just need to get the culture and get started.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I should goggle it, my friend who is Indian and uses a lot of yogurt makes hers in a flask.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Use a flask so much cheaper :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the days when I had a pilot light on the cooker that was an ideal yoghurt making spot. I just used a large jam jar and bought a natural live yoghurt about once a month to renew the culture. I mixed in all sorts of different substances from the bags in the pilot plant at work - I worked for Allied Lyons and there was all sorts lying around from mixing up small experimental batches of stuff. One of my favourite additions was coconut flakes, but finely sliced nuts of all sorts were good - added just before serving. Making yoghurt is very easy. I used to fill a jar up just before going to bed and it was ready to be moved to the fridge next morning.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Severin yoghurt maker, @sharia , and I make a batch every 5 or 6 days. It's a circular container housing 7 individual jars.

I scald two pints of FF milk with 30gg dried skimmed milk powder (whisked in), then I cool the pan of milk in the sink filled with cold water for 3-4 minutes.

I whisk in either a single portion pot of Yeo Valley natural yoghurt, OR a jar of homemade yoghurt from the last batch.

I pour this into a jug and then fill the jars, screwing the lids shut and popping them into the container. Lid on, switch on, set kitchen pinger for 8 hours. I often turn it off after 6 hours and leave it to cool, or if I've done it for 8 hours (no longer as it gets less mild and much tangier the longer you leave it) I take the jars out and put them in a cool place until they're cold enough for the fridge.

Sounds like a faff but really really it's not - I've got into a routine. My pudding every night (because I love it!) is a jar of yoghurt decanted into a bowl with a same-size jar of sugar free strawberry jelly (useful, those jars - I bought a spare set) and some Splenda. Sometimes some cream......

I sometimes strain a jar of it and use the thick thick result instead of creme fraiche in, say, stroganoff, or as a more indulgent Greek-style yoghurt for pudding.

The individual jars suit me WAY better than having to make one big batch in a large container.

:)