Yogurts [emoji2962]

Stacey79

Which yogurts do you all have? I love yogurts and have always bought muller lights (or aldis version anyway) but they are fat free so I want to change to a full fat yogurt but having trouble finding any that aren't either low fat or fat free or cost an arm and a leg! I've found Ski on Asda website but they only do 4 flavours. Would sticking to muller lights be a bad thing? When I was in hospital they were giving me muller vitality pots but the supermarkets don't seem to sell these.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the big post of plain Greek yoghurt from Lidl, the dark blue printed full fat version, and then add it to whatever I am concocting at the time. I whisk it into sugar free jelly or gelatine things, or spoon it on top of a dessert.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat greek (5 or 10% fat). Buy it unflavoured (all the flavoured yoghurt have sugar or sweetners in some form or another) then add to it a few berries, or chopped nuts, or chopped very dark chocolate... or a mix of any of these. Can also mix it with chia seeds, or other milled seeds and leave it to thicken for a while.

When I first stated low carb, a tablespoon of very thick greek (lidl do a creamy version that is mixed with 25% cream) sipped slowly would satisfy the afternoon craving for soemthing sweet. It's remarkable how quickly the fat satisfies. Might take a bit of getting used to but it's so worth it.

Reactions: Stacey79

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
+1 for Lidl full fat greek, it's very cheap but very nice, costs about 1.09 for 1kg. (5g carbs per 100g roughly)

Asda stock full fat greek, I think it costs twice as much but tastes roughly the same. Most/some should also stock a yeo valley full fat organic 500g yoghurt which is nice too but a costs a bit more. (It has a green label).

I recommend frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries), because they are cheap and stay 'frozen fresh'. I just mic a handful or two for a minute, I don't mind them a little icy.

Stacey79

So I've just been on Aldi website and found some full fat yogurts but are these too high in carbs? I keep seeing carbs should be 5% or less. Is it the carbs or the 'of which sugars' we look at. I'm never going to get the hang of this

Size / volume150g

Nutrition information
Energy 568kJ, 136kcal
Fat 7.7g
of which saturates 5.3g
Carbohydrate 14g
of which sugars
13g Fibre 1.2g
Protein 2.5g
Salt 0.11g

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't really like unflavoured yogurts even with added fruits but maybe it's time to try it again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl plain Greek yoghurt is 4.6 percent, I think - it used to be less - 3.2 percent, but it is still something I can cope with easily.
I use food flavours and colours when making desserts, also sugar free squash or even fizzy drinks for flavour - as it is not necessary to add carbs to add flavour.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
(I've not bought yoghurt recently - I'm still in the process of dropping some lard from around my middle and 1l of yoghurt would last me only slightly longer than it took me to find a spoon)

Are you looking at plain yoghurt - I've just found this one on the Aldi website:

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-brooklea-authentic-greek-yogurt-500g/4088600060880

Which seems to be 3.7g of carbs (I assume per 100g)

"Nutrition information Energy 547kJ, 132kcal Fat 10g of which saturates 7.6g Carbohydrate 3.7g of which sugars 3.2g Fibre <0.500g Protein 6.4g Salt 0.20g"

If you buy ones that are already flavoured they'll be higher in carbohydrate, far better idea to buy plain and add your own berries etc. then you know exactly what you're getting.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really like unflavoured yogurts even with added fruits but maybe it's time to try it again
You'll be surprised and pleased how quickly your tastes will change. Ididnt use to like plain yoghurt or very dark chocolate. Now they are treats I look forward to.

If I've learned anything since my diabetes diagnosis it's "Never say never"
ie never say, I can never give up bread, or I can never like plain yoghurt, or I could never fast for a whole day.
Once your body starts mending internally you will be amazed what you can do and like, and the weight you can lose. I lost mine fairly easily without hunger. OK a couple of rough weeks initially but it's so worth it. I've gone from an 18/20 to a 10/12 in 5 months and kept it of for 18 months, and all by controlling my bg. The weight losswas apleasnt side effect. It wasn't my main aim, lowering my bg was.
Keep at it. Give things a try, and if you don't like them now, try again in a few weeks