You dont win friends with salad

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Hey i am always unsure about carbs in salad lettuce prawns seafood sauce and avacado i try to worknoit the carbs accoording tonthe packet but my blood always ends up high after . I was told protein and salad were carb free so i was basically checking the avacado and the sauce anyone else had problems with carb free going high after

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to check the seafood sauce if you add it to the salad yourself otherwise if it is bought as a made up salad I would forget it if it raises your BGs by too much
CAROL

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I seem to be addicted to fish based salads at the moment.

I have this every evening and my plate is piled high with:

Prawns,smoked Mackeral and smoked salmon.
Lettuce,cucumber,cherry toms.
Celery,radishes and spring onions.
And half an avocado sliced into small bite sized pieces.

Now the alarm bells ring on the prawns as although they have very little fat and almost non existent carbohydrate apparently, they are very high in Cholesterol.
When I told my Diabetic nurse of my fondness for prawns she said " Watch out,they are high in cholesterol."
I said "So are eggs and I eat 2 a day".
She said eggs are fine as they have 'good cholesterol' whereas Prawns have 'less than good'.

Avocados are high in fat. But its Monosaturated fat which is better for you than saturated fat. (Or trans fatty acids which we really should avoid and are present in biscuits etc)

The dressing I am assuming is the pink Marie Rose sauce? Or Mayonnaise?

I am guilty of that too as I don't like half or low fat mayonnaise and squirt Hellmans all over my lovely salad.
I am looking into making my own as I have Lemons and Olive Oil but not the proper vinegar. You need cider vinegar apparently....

So...Your question included Prawns,avocado and dressing.

I think they are all fine. Higher in fat maybe but you have to have some fat or food would be unpalatable.
I don't think they contain much carbohydrate? If I am wrong I'm sure someone will be along to put me right.

The question mark lies over your choice of dressing. As I said I use Hellmans full fat mayonnaise. But am looking into a healthier home made version. It probably won't be any lower in fat but it sure will be tasty!!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Prawns are low in saturated fat and contain healthy omega 3, your nurse doesn't know what she is talking about. Yes they contain cholesterol, but most of your body's cholesterol is made by the liver and your diet has a low influence on your levels. Seafood is fine in moderation as part of a healthy diet.

Ali

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Here is an except from the diet notes given to me by my DN on the control of Type 2 diabetes.

'Base your meals around starchy foods such as breakfast cereals,bread,pasta,potato.rice or chapatti.'
No mention is made to make sure these are wholemeal versions....

All the other advice is sound but I really do question the above statement....

And telling me to lay off the prawns... Unthinkable.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Read Dr Bernstein's diabetic solution. True to his word NO foods are 'free'. If I eat a bowl of lettuce ( almost zero carbs) j would still have 1 unit if rapid. If adding protein, an additional unit. I follow his advice and after many years have discovered all food, zero carbs or not, needs insulin

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here is some additional information which explains why NO food is free.

Dr. Bernstein calls it the Chinese Restaurant Effect, because Chinese cuisine tends to lean towards lots of bulk with their over-abundance of low-carb, high fiber veggies in a typical dish. Now people comment all the time about Chinese food leaving you hungry again after only a couple of hours, and Dr. Bernstein explains why.

The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release hormones into the bloodstream whenever they are stretched. Such as after a large meal. These hormones signal the pancreas to produce insulin in order to prevent the blood sugar rise that follows the digestion of a large meal. So not only do we get phase 1 (immediate emptying of insulin into the bloodstream when carbs hit the mouth) and phase 2 insulin response (more insulin as quickly as the body is able to make it) with a large Thanksgiving, Chinese, or Family get-together type meal, but we also get a third dose when the food hits the small intestines.

Since a very small amount of insulin can cause a large drop in blood sugar, the pancreas simultaneously produces the less potent hormone glucagon to offset the potential excess effect of this third dose of insulin. So if you eat enough to feel stuffed, (FORCE yourself to get in all of those veggie carbs currently recommended through additional bulk, or FORCE yourself to eat more than it takes to make you feel just full), your blood sugar can go up dramatically, even if you haven't exceeded your carb allotment for that meal. And even if you're eating something indigestible like sawdust.

Because it's the stretching of the intestines, not the actual count of the carbs themselves, that makes the body believe you have just eaten something that needs a lot of insulin to digest.

Dr. Bernstein discovered this phenomena when a patient of his admitted to eating an entire head of lettuce just before going swimming everyday. What she considered to be a free food. Lettuce isn't really a free food, though it can seem like that when you're counting up the carbs in a single cup or two of torn greens. Because the carb count is very low. There's only like 10 carbs in a whole head. Which under normal conditions would only raise the blood sugar about 50 mg/dl. Yet this woman's blood sugar was going up 160 mg/dl "more" than that.

Chinese veggies tend to do this a lot because they make us feel very full. They make us feel stuffed. But if we eat too much salad and other veggies, the same thing will happen. Increased blood sugar, increased insulin, and all the complications that come from that.

According to Dr. Bernstein, 2 cups of salad equals the "same effect" as if you'd eaten 12 grams of carbohydrate!!! And 1 cup of cooked veggies equals about 8. So even though it outwardly looks like Dr. Atkins made a mistake with his cup rule, he really didn't. Because the body will handle that 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of cooked veggies (the 2002 rule) as if you were eating 20 net carbs of veggies.