You guys were right...met the diabetic nurse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning.. I have nothing else to offer this thread at the moment. My statement "The NHS approach worked for me" stands. @NoCrbs4Me correctly points out it's not word for word.. but it's very much my baseline. The NHS approach is basically "lose weight, see what happens" it's what I did and has thus far worked. It's not for everyone, it may not be for many of us.. but it will probably work for someone else rather than just me!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this highly "entertaining" thread, but most of all thanks for mentioning wedding rings. I've just tried mine on, and it's the first time I've managed to wear it in at least 5 years.

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS approach is basically "lose weight, see what happens" it's what I did and has thus far worked. It's not for everyone, it may not be for many of us.. but it will probably work for someone else rather than just me!

Here we agree. The NHS approach is to tell us to lose weight. My GP asked me if I had ever though of losing weight! He didn't tell me how to do it though. The diets he gave me didn't work. I put on 8 pounds in 2 weeks following one of them! If only he had told me to drastically reduce carbs... In my case no diet/eating plan worked until I tried low carbing alongside eating enough/high fat.

Reactions: 2 people

JeanieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is one nurse in my GP practice who is an 'expert' and tells me the diabetes teams at hospitals never do the job properly!

I did the DAFNE course a few years back and they explain that you should wait four hours after insulin and eating before testing your bloods as the levels are still dropping up to that point.

Conversation with nurse went like this:

Nurse: what are you blood sugars 2 hours after eating?
Me: I don't test after 2 hours, I wait until 4 as per DAFNE instructions
Nurse: you have to test after 2 hours
Me: DAFNE says 4 because .... And explained
nurse: I've never heard that before so you are obviously wrong

Me and the diabetes team at the hospital had a really good giggle about it.

Out of date nurses can do so much damage rather than good!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is one nurse in my GP practice who is an 'expert' and tells me the diabetes teams at hospitals never do the job properly!

I did the DAFNE course a few years back and they explain that you should wait four hours after insulin and eating before testing your bloods as the levels are still dropping up to that point.

Conversation with nurse went like this:

Nurse: what are you blood sugars 2 hours after eating?
Me: I don't test after 2 hours, I wait until 4 as per DAFNE instructions
Nurse: you have to test after 2 hours
Me: DAFNE says 4 because .... And explained
nurse: I've never heard that before so you are obviously wrong

Me and the diabetes team at the hospital had a really good giggle about it.

Out of date nurses can do so much damage rather than good!

Don't quite understand that.. Nurse was right testing 2 hours after a meal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JeanieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you type 2?

I'm type 1 and taking insulin for each meal you have, testing 2 hours after will give a higher reading than after 4 hours as the insulin is still working to lower it. Testing after 2 hours may make you think you need additional insulin as reading is higher than you expect ... Which is then likely to result in a hypo an hour or so later.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you type 2?

I'm type 1 and taking insulin for each meal you have, testing 2 hours after will give a higher reading than after 4 hours as the insulin is still working to lower it. Testing after 2 hours may make you think you need additional insulin as reading is higher than you expect ... Which is then likely to result in a hypo an hour or so later.

I am a T1 of 30+ years and have always tested 2 hours after a meal as this is the time that it will show that your bolus injection may be incorrect or your basal....

If your readings are wrong 2-3 hours after a meal then it is your bolus that is incorrect at any other time it would be your basal. This is how pump persons can tweak their basals and bolys's so efficiently. Thats why I do not get rises after any meals and I do not get any drops either.

4 hour testing is just camaflouging the rises...or drops from the bolus and your nurse was spot on for being correct. Dafne advisers were wrong.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Morning.. I have nothing else to offer this thread at the moment. My statement "The NHS approach worked for me" stands. @NoCrbs4Me correctly points out it's not word for word.. but it's very much my baseline. The NHS approach is basically "lose weight, see what happens" it's what I did and has thus far worked. It's not for everyone, it may not be for many of us.. but it will probably work for someone else rather than just me!
The NHS (or any other health care system in the western world) approach is NOT simply to tell type 2 patients to "lose weight and see what happens". If all it took to get people to lose weight was to tell them to lose weight, only people who wanted to be over weight would be over weight. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 8 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS (or any other health care system in the western world) approach is NOT simply to tell type 2 patients to "lose weight and see what happens". If all it took to get people to lose weight was to tell them to lose weight, only people who wanted to be over weight would be over weight. Ridiculous.

I don't think that's what I said. Certainly not what I implied. However losing weight, if required, is step 1 in diabetes management. But you knew what I meant.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't think that's what I said. Certainly not what I implied. However losing weight, if required, is step 1 in diabetes management. But you knew what I meant.
Well you can look at your post and see what you wrote, but here it is: "The NHS approach is basically "lose weight, see what happens" it's what I did and has thus far worked."

Are you saying you never bothered to try to lose weight up until after you were told to by the NHS?? And that you got no other advice other than to lose weight? No guidance as to how you might do that? No discussion of metformin?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is so very fortunate for mikej he actually had weight to lose and an appalling diet to boot. So easily sorted and voila, normal glucose metabolism. For us with diabetes it is harder.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is so very fortunate for mikej he actually had weight to lose and an appalling diet to boot. So easily sorted and voila, normal glucose metabolism. For us with diabetes it is harder.
Yes I so agree.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So your diabetes is better than my diabetes? Arf!

Actually I have a plan and it's working. No need for you to br bitter. If your plan isn't working get another plan.

@NoCrbs4Me it's step one. Lose weight. It'd not the only step. But the first!

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mikej1973

Would you like to come off the diabetic register?

No. I feel my diabetes is in remission but being in the system means a much closer eye is kept on feet, eyes etc etc. It's Ballache with the civil aviation authority in terms of pilot licencing and medical requirements but I'm only confident things are good now. What happens in the coming months and years is unknown and unpredictable.

That and the increased annuity when I cash my pensions in!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No. I feel my diabetes is in remission but being in the system means a much closer eye is kept on feet, eyes etc etc. It's Ballache with the civil aviation authority in terms of pilot licencing and medical requirements but I'm only confident things are good now. What happens in the coming months and years is unknown and unpredictable.

That and the increased annuity when I cash my pensions in!
Ah, the pension. I understand.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, the pension. I understand.

It was a joke. The thousands of pounds it will cost me to stay licenced with the caa will more than offset an increase in annuity. And only a moron would take an annuity anyway.

M

mrspuddleduck

Sorry slightly off topic. @mikej1973, I thought the CAA regs were roughly the same as dvla. I know you have to inform them but its not an issue unless you are on meds/insulin, especially if you are well controlled. So why should it be a problem and why should it cost you more cos of your diabetes?? Worried now in case you know something I've missed!!! Sue x

Status
Not open for further replies.