1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

You know you're a T1 when...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by joelcam, Jun 18, 2010.

1. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol: ............been there and got the t-shirt! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel

2. day007

day007 · Member

...you ask for SUGAR-FREE syrup in your latte and go APE-S**T when you see the guy put regular syrup in and they don't get why you're so pi**ed.

3. Dustydazzler

Dustydazzler Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You know you are a type 1 when:

when someone leaves the heating on and you wake up in a sweat and think goodness I must be having a hypo!

4. Geri

Geri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Your husband wakes you up every morning even when in a deep blissful sleep to prick your finger and test your bs so that he can go to work happy with the knowledge that you are not about to 'turn queer'. :roll:

5. onlytwintip

onlytwintip · Active Member

When whenever you're a bit in a mood, friends/family immediately conclude: "Oh, you must be a bit low"
    You get your insulin pump out to change the tune that's actually playing from your ipod.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I like it! :lol:

Nigel

7. Snodger

Snodger · Well-Known Member

this is a brilliant thread, I love every single post and it's all SO TRUE.

WhimsicalWays, I'd never thought of using ketone strips to check your diet coke, does it really work? That's genius!

8. Debloubed

Debloubed Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What a lovely husband you have! My OH will check me if I look sleepy as he worries I am going hypo :mrgreen: generally he gets told 'I'm just flipping tired!' which is followed by a quick squeeze as I know he's only asking cos he is genuinely worried :wink:

9. yipster29

yipster29 · Well-Known Member

Ha brilliant thread!! and all so true!
    Especially for me the diet coke and counting up your insulin units as the menu is announced!

I knew I was T1 when I had to buy a bigger hand bag, and could no longer take the dog for long walks, or go for cycle rides without a stash of equipment!

I also knew I'd accepted the fact yet others still worried when last year we arrived at Gatwick airport for me to discover I'd left my test kit at home!!! Hubby in major panic buying new one at Boots and asking if I needed to eat every 10 minutes whereas my reaction had been 'ah I know what I'm eating and I know the hypo signs... I'll be fine' :)

10. Geri

You wake up in the middle of the day to find 3 ambulance men in your bedroom about to insert a glucose drip. :shock:

11. Geri

thanks Debloubed, he is great at sorting out my ups and downs and learnt as much as poss about type 1 diabetes when we met up 15 years ago.

12. Debloubed

Debloubed Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If your sister asks you a question and you haven't been listening to a word she says so you wing it and say 'yeah, ok then!' with no idea what you are agreeing to and she looks at you oddly and says 'are you ok? do you need some food?' :lol:

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

....you are on first name terms with the staff in the Pharmacy! :)

Nigel

14. Levy

Levy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

...when you are disappointed that no matter how many times you've been on an airplane none of the customs guards have ever opened your bag to take a look at what all those little needles are which showed up on their scanner. :roll:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Levy

Levy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also:

...when you are wondering whether anything in your pump will set off the gates at the customs and probably being disappointed when the answer turns out to be no.

I think I might be a bit of a diabetes-exhibitionist :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  16. ags1983

ags1983 · Member

This is the one i got between the inside of my wrist and elbow on the inside of my forearm. bout 3 or 4 years old now and some bits need touched up!
    [​IMG]

17. ebony321

ebony321 · Well-Known Member

I thought this exact same this last week, he also noticed i'd changed my hair colour! :lol:

18. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I don't have any hair to change colour! :lol:

Nigel

19. ebony321

ebony321 · Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:
    Test your pharmacist and grow a moustache? :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  20. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

You know you're T1 when you brush your teeth, get into bed and realise you haven't tested.
    You test, are in the low 4s,you have to eat something , clean your teeth and start again.

• Like Like x 5
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook