Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
phoenix said:
You know you're T1 when you brush your teeth, get into bed and realise you haven't tested.
You test, are in the low 4s,you have to eat something , clean your teeth and start again.

The very same thing happened to me on Monday night, teeth brushed and gargle of mouthwash and into bed, realised I hadn't tested and got a 4.2, a couple of jelly babies and back out of bed and started all over again. :x

Nigel

sugar2

phoenix said:
You know you're T1 when you brush your teeth, get into bed and realise you haven't tested.
You test, are in the low 4s,you have to eat something , clean your teeth and start again.

I hate that!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
iHs said:
You also know you're Type 1 when you find yourself trying to eat Weetabix and milk with a knife and fork :oops: :(

I've yet to do that iHs! :shock:

Nigel

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Great thread,
This has cheered me up no end, Ive just come out of hospital after nose surgery and was feeling low,now Im managing a smile!, Not to much as it only hurts when I laugh,

Paul

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
I think we need "like" buttons for these posts :D They're very funny and I can relate to a lot of them!

You know you are a T1 when you order a MacDonalds meal with a DIET coke and get funny looks from the staff. I usually tell them Im watching my figure! :eek:

....when you put off going for a walk because you'll have to bring your meter, your insulin, a snack......lol

...you're big sister constantly gets you to check your blood sugar levels despite the fact that you are 27 and have been diabetic for 15 and live in a different country! (How do I cope? :?: )

...you go into a grocery shop to buy a drink and your choice is diet coke or water. Does anyone else groan when this happens? I also like diet tango, diet lilt, diet dr pepper! I could go on!

Yingal2010

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
you know ur childs diabetic when ur the only parent to stay to a childs birthday party to count the carbs for them and work out the amount of insulin needed (im a dab hand at being a helper at a birthday party haha)

anna marie

Clairslloyd

I am not a T1 but a T2 but love reading this post - always makes me laugh. FYI the pharmacist knows my name too, along with most of the staff at Boots lol :lol:

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
LOL @ Clairslloyd :lol:

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ams162, how do you count carbs? This is a new thing for me! X :shock:

TheSparkyPony

You know you're a T1 when you are swigging Lucozade WHILST showering because you are late for a meeting and need to get ready but your BM is 2.6 :roll: :lol:

ETA - am NOT advocating this behaviour, I blame my multitasking behaviour on the hypo!

Reactions: 2 people

Snodger

yingal2010 said:
..you go into a grocery shop to buy a drink and your choice is diet coke or water. Does anyone else groan when this happens? I also like diet tango, diet lilt, diet dr pepper! I could go on!
OMG you are so right about this, it annoys me so much! Presumably it's coz coke owns a franchise in each shop? Usually the water is one of their owned brands eg Buxton water. It happens in the big supermarkets too, you often can only get the other diet stuff in huge bottles, and in their snacks section its.... diet coke and water.

you're right about the 'like' buttons, I keep wanting to 'like' each post too.

another you know you're a T1 when....

....you always carry a tube of wine gums and a fruesli bar around in your bag in case of hypo but when you DO go hypo you are so determined not to eat the boring fruesli bar that you wander in and out of shops looking for something more interesting to eat, and gradually dropping lower and lower... (I did that once, got so low I had to just point at the cake I wanted and hold out a hand full of change to pay coz there was no way I could work out what the cake was called or what money to give the shopkeeper. The whole time, I had a bag full of sugary carbs I could have just eaten. But I WANTED SOMETHING INTERESTING!)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
You know your T1 when your staring at the clock, unable to tell the time like your 5 years old again, then it hits you that you must be hypo and your brain is starting to switch off! :lol:

joelcam

I know this is my post but it's well old now and I am an even more 'experienced' diabetic so have some more to add...

You know your a diabetic when...people say "Oh you better not have one of these chocolates, I don't want you haveing a hypo on me".

You know your a diabetic when...you get into bed and just as your about to drop off to sleep you realise you need to do your bedtime injection of Levemir etc.

You know your a diabetic when...you turn up the news if you see a mouse with an ear on it's back just in case a cure has been found

You know your a diabetic when...your playing 5 a a side football and your team mates ask you to check your levels every time you play a bad pass..

KimSuzanne

your injecting in public and your friends automatically 'flank' you on both sides so no-one sees and nobodies has stopped the conversation about what to have for dinner. Love them.

when your 28 and your Mum still makes sure you have something proper for dinner and you think its only cos she loves me

whenever theres a odd noise in the house you hear "are you ok?"

This thread has really made me laugh

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know you're a T1 when you prick your finger to test your BG and blooddrops start coming out of 4 different places on that finger!!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I like that we can laugh about this that maybe we should be crying about instead :lol:

Also, you know your T1 when you Change your cannula and set.. in the kitchen to save time as your rushing around to go out...

...finish in record gold medal time...

...go to put all the wrappings in the bin...

..Catch your tubing on the stupidly placed cupboard handles and rip it clean off..

..Then calmly start again..

:lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
ebony321 said:
...finish in record gold medal time...

:lol:

The fact that you know what record gold medal time is has made my laugh!! Used to take me 30 mins, now takes me approx 3mins if I prep the 'tools' before hand ;-) But still I plug myself back into the pump and sure enough, 2 mins later it bleeps at me to remind me to switch it back on ;-)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Got to say I've enjoyed reading thread, each and everyone of us can all relate to whats been posted and its great that we can see the funny/frustrating side of life living with diabetes.

Nigel