You said there would be tummy trouble!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My risk factor for heart attack in the next 10years is 11% from 1% for people of the same age. I saw a cardiologist and said I was unsure about taking them but they said it was because I was diabetic.

Doctors tend to prescribe statins to all diabetics whether they need them or not. I suggest you find out what your last cholesterol results were, including the lipid breakdown (HDL, LDL, and triglycerides) These will be on a print out along with your blood glucose results and any other tests they did. It is essential you know what all these are, then you can make up your own mind about whether you need statins or not. Personally I would never take them.

I agree with what the others have said about your bread. Unless you test before and after eating this and find your levels haven't risen much, it would be wise to swap the toast for something with far less carbs in it. How about eggs and bacon? Or a full fat yogurt?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well. I am on trip number 6 to the toilet. I don't have anything in the house other than toast for tomorrow. What I will do is test before and after and see what it says. I only had one slice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well. I am on trip number 6 to the toilet. I don't have anything in the house other than toast for tomorrow. What I will do is test before and after and see what it says. I only had one slice.

Yes, test tomorrow and if the rise is unacceptable, go shopping!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I took Metformin with bad results, followed by Metformin SR for even worse side effects. After I think 4 yrs I took myself off it and the symptoms left :)

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Well I finally started the Metformin and statin. Metformin one a day for a week then 2 for a week and then 3.
Well, will I last that long? I took one Metformin this morning and have not been off the loo, including one accident (sorry tmi)
I am so sore, I want to sit on a bath of ice. Please tell me it stops.
Hi similar experience when diagnosed in November last year, was scared of eating out if not near a loo. My doctor prescribed me Metformin XR and that seems to have solved the issue for me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Well I finally started the Metformin and statin. Metformin one a day for a week then 2 for a week and then 3.
Well, will I last that long? I took one Metformin this morning and have not been off the loo, including one accident (sorry tmi)
I am so sore, I want to sit on a bath of ice. Please tell me it stops.
I was on it for weeks, ended up with bleeds and everything. In the meantime I read what I could about low carb high fat, switched my diet to that... Got off the meds and into the normal range that way. Never looked back.

Some just don't tolerate it. You could switch to the other kind, but if I were you I'd stop these for the time being, and as soon as the runs stopped, I'd go shopping for low carb food items. I'm not allowed to say that, I guess, (forum rules, can't tell people to go off meds, but I'm just talking 2 days here) but if you're this miserable... You're not going to get the slow release kind over the weekend, and this doesn't sound sustainable . Give your insides a break, and get some eggs, meat, fish, cheese, poultry, leafy greens into you... Then at least you'll have your bloodsugars sortof sorted, (leave off the toast, bread, potatoes, corn, cereal, pasta and fruit! Anything sugary or starchy is no good), and you can go after the slow release metformin on monday, if you want to try that. A diet change has a bigger impact than Met though. Remission'd be in the cards.
Stay hydrated! Good luck!
Jo

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cardiologist put me on statins when I was in hospital with AFib, he put me on Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) for the blood anti coagulant as well.

Edit: Typo
Yes my husband was put on statins not for cholesterol because that has always been good but when he had a heart attack.I think most people who have heart problems will be on them

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Took Metformin after breakfast today so we shall see how it goes.

Blood sugar before breakfast 6.6 and 2 hours after 6.1 something must be working. Terrible hunger pains though.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Anecdotally it is often said that metformin has a worse reaction if eaten with carbs.. maybe try something less carby to take it with? Bacon, eggs, yoghurt maybe?

I am the other way around. I have Hi lo bread in the morning and can cope fine. Evening meal without any standard carbs and it causes major problems. So weird...

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

Blood sugar before breakfast 6.6 and 2 hours after 6.1 something must be working. Terrible hunger pains though.

It's a nasty drug to make for a lot of people. I will continue but can't be bothered to contact the doctor to change to slow release as I'm lazy.

Maybe you should change?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

What did you eat for breakfast? Was that another slice of toast? If so, the result isn't bad.
If you make sure all your meals have low carb or no carb, you need to up the fats and a bit extra protein to avoid the hunger pangs. This is why eggs are recommended for breakfasts - plenty of fat and protein, no carbs.

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What did you eat for breakfast? Was that another slice of toast? If so, the result isn't bad.
If you make sure all your meals have low carb or no carb, you need to up the fats and a bit extra protein to avoid the hunger pangs. This is why eggs are recommended for breakfasts - plenty of fat and protein, no carbs.
Yes one slice of toast and butter and a cup of tea. I never eat breakfast so this is a new routine for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes one slice of toast and butter and a cup of tea. I never eat breakfast so this is a new routine for me.

If you never eat breakfast, why are you starting now? You can have a coffee with double cream. There is no logical reason why you should take your Metformin with breakfast. You can take it later in the day, and may be OK with just the coffee and cream. You were hungry because there was insufficient fat and protein in your breakfast. Carbs make us hungry. Fats and protein fill us up. If you persist in toast, have an egg with it and extra butter on your toast. Mmmmm yummy soft boiled egg and soldiers. I just have the soft boiled egg and a cuppa, no toast. Previous to this breakfast I just had a decaff coffee with double cream.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
In my experience Metformin was an absolute nightmare. Even just one 500mg a day, with food and slow release made me SO ill. My symptoms were similar to yours. Try the advice of eating something fatty with your dose and talking to the doctor to get slow release. But if this doesnt work get your medication changed. I suffered for 18 months - my 'metformin moments' are still legendary among my friends and I was thinking of taking out shares in the company that produces immodium. Doc switched me to glicazide and sitagliptin evetually. Oddly enough my uncle, who is in his mid seventies, takes 2000mg a day with not a single side effect.

You have my sympathy, keep us posted.

Reactions: Kimtaylor2016