You said there would be tummy trouble!

Thecrazy_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Well I finally started the Metformin and statin. Metformin one a day for a week then 2 for a week and then 3.
Well, will I last that long? I took one Metformin this morning and have not been off the loo, including one accident (sorry tmi)
I am so sore, I want to sit on a bath of ice. Please tell me it stops.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave it three weeks then stopped.. could hardly leave the house.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had slight tummy troubles which lasted a week to ten days, not so bad as your suffering by the sounds of it. Just checking you took it with food as that helps, you could ask to try the slow release version if things don’t improve

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all,

Well I finally started the Metformin and statin. Metformin one a day for a week then 2 for a week and then 3.
Well, will I last that long? I took one Metformin this morning and have not been off the loo, including one accident (sorry tmi)
I am so sore, I want to sit on a bath of ice. Please tell me it stops.
Poor you :eek:( Do you take it with a meal?

Edit to add that smiley came out all wrong, and that @Rachox beat me to it.

Reactions: Rachox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes had it with toast. Dreading tomorrow morning.
Anecdotally it is often said that metformin has a worse reaction if eaten with carbs.. maybe try something less carby to take it with? Bacon, eggs, yoghurt maybe?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@thecrazy1 I have been taking two Metformin XR a day with meals for a couple of years now, with no ill effects.
I take 3 x 500 metformin per day + 1,2mg of victoza, and do have occasional tummy upsets. I never know when it hits, so I'm often worried about going to sleep. I don't know whether it's one of the medications or both.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave it three weeks then stopped.. could hardly leave the house.
i agree.... and diabetic nurse and the people on the desmond course said i would be on the damned stuff for life...i stopped it after three months...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is all about being unable to deal with carbs - and it is not unusual to be more insulin resistant in the mornings - so for most diabetics, toast for breakfast is not going to be a good start to the day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I take it I try to have something more substantial to eat I also take it mid meal and though at times do have slight problems tummy wise nothing as bad you get big hugs for that.
My risk factor for heart attack in the next 10years is 11% from 1% for people of the same age. I saw a cardiologist and said I was unsure about taking them but they said it was because I was diabetic.

Yes my cardiovascular surgeon said something similar I still don't take them, though I do take daily Aspirin hopefully to prevent blood clots.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Thecrazy_1 - There is a variation on the Metformin "recipe", making it a bit gentler on the tummy. It's called Metformin SR or Metformin ER. The SR and ER stands for Slow Release and Extended Release, respectively. Many people find switxhing to those really helps.

The medics sometimes restist prescribing it, as it is costs more.

D

Deleted member 308541

Yes my cardiovascular surgeon said something similar I still don't take them, though I do take daily Aspirin hopefully to prevent blood clots.
My cardiologist put me on statins when I was in hospital with AFib, he put me on Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) for the blood anti coagulant as well.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, ask for Metformin SR if your problems don't clear within a week or two. BTW the medics think Metformin is a miracle cure for diabetes. It helps a bit but that's all. A low-carb diet is the best action before and during Metformin and you may be able to come of the drug.

Reactions: Prem51