Your advice please

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all, ok so I had GD when pregnant over 3 yr ago now and was told as I am insulin resistant and glucose int that I should check blood every month (fasting) I also have lots of family member with diabetes, 3 days ago I tested (fasting) and it was 9.4 that was worrying so checked a couple of times that day and have done for the last 2 days, yesterday fasting was 8.7 and this mornings 9.6! My highest 2 hours after meals is 14.1 I have hardly eaten in 2 days to see if I could regulate it as I was told fasting can do that but it's not working, do you think I should go docs or wait a week or 2 and see? I'm on a diet so could it be that my body has got all confused?? Thank you for your time x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Toddlermummy

I'd see the doctor rather than wait.Those readings are quite high, so I can't see any point in waiting. Make some notes of your results so the doctor can see what you're talking about.

If it is diabetes, don't panic. It can be controlled : )

D

debrasue

Hi @Toddlermummy - welcome to the forum!
I agree with what Azure has said above - the first step has to be to go and see your GP and get an HbA1c (blood) test, which will show what your blood sugars have been up to over the past three months or so. And, as Azure also says, if your GP does come up with a diagnosis of diabetes it's certainly not the end of the world. This site is an absolute goldmine of information about things you can do to keep your BG levels under control, and the support from other members is strong and unconditional.
Good luck - and let us know how you get on!
Hugs

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Toddlermummy

I'd see the doctor rather than wait.Those readings are quite high, so I can't see any point in waiting. Make some notes of your results so the doctor can see what you're talking about.

If it is diabetes, don't panic. It can be controlled : )
Hi azure thank you for you for taking time to reply, I will go see dr I can't keep this not eating up in the hope it will sort itself out! x

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Toddlermummy - welcome to the forum!
I agree with what Azure has said above - the first step has to be to go and see your GP and get an HbA1c (blood) test, which will show what your blood sugars have been up to over the past three months or so. And, as Azure also says, if your GP does come up with a diagnosis of diabetes it's certainly not the end of the world. This site is an absolute goldmine of information about things you can do to keep your BG levels under control, and the support from other members is strong and unconditional.
Good luck - and let us know how you get on!
Hugs
Hi debrasue thank you for taking the time to reply, I will definitely go to the doctors- I hated the insulin injections when I had GD so I'm hoping if they say I need meds they will give me metformin or something, thanks again have a good night x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the mean time you can cut your carbs drastically. Eat SOME protein and some healthy fats and low carb veggies. Pass on carb rich foods like pasta, potato, rice, cereal, bread , pastries etc. For now I would cut fruit too or limit it to a few berries but they still spike me. Keep testing

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For some, like me, not eating just makes your liver dump glucose into your system and raises your blood sugar higher than eating. Eating low carb food regularly will reduce blood sugar for most.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Off to the doc would also be my recommendation. If you fast your liver will not continually dump its glycogen stores. It only has a small limited amount and the fasting clears it out at least temporarily and low carbing keeps it under control, but at your levels a chat and that HBa1c test would be useful:)

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
In the mean time you can cut your carbs drastically. Eat SOME protein and some healthy fats and low carb veggies. Pass on carb rich foods like pasta, potato, rice, cereal, bread , pastries etc. For now I would cut fruit too or limit it to a few berries but they still spike me. Keep testing
Kristin251 thank you for replying, I had cut my carbs and fat too and I think that was the problem I went LCLF instead of LCHF!! And sent my body into a spin! This morning after basically not eating all day yesterday until 6 then eating a steak and salad with 1 new potato lol I woke up to 5.6! Yayyyy and then 2 hrs after lunch 6.4 so I'm on the right track but need to see doc for sure! Thanks again

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
For some, like me, not eating just makes your liver dump glucose into your system and raises your blood sugar higher than eating. Eating low carb food regularly will reduce blood sugar for most.
Chalup thank you for replying I think I went about my diet all wrong then tried to rectify it by fasting and made it 10 times worse! Had great reading this morning and lunchtime so fingers crossed! Defo off to docs thanks again

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Off to the doc would also be my recommendation. If you fast your liver will not continually dump its glycogen stores. It only has a small limited amount and the fasting clears it out at least temporarily and low carbing keeps it under control, but at your levels a chat and that HBa1c test would be useful:)
Kevinpotts thank you for replying not having a problem since the GD I approached a diet in a kamikaze way lol and went all LCLF?! I have read lots on here and see that LCHF Is probably the better way to go and off to the docs I go too! Thanks again for the advice
Kristin251 thank you for replying, I had cut my carbs and fat too and I think that was the problem I went LCLF instead of LCHF!! And sent my body into a spin! This morning after basically not eating all day yesterday until 6 then eating a steak and salad with 1 new potato lol I woke up to 5.6! Yayyyy and then 2 hrs after lunch 6.4 so I'm on the right track but need to see doc for sure! Thanks again

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find I need to eat some fat with all meals and snacks or even the tiny bit of carbs I eat and small amounts of protein turn to bs very quickly. If I have some avocado, mayo, olive oil,butter etc with meals it slows and lowers any spike. I go up slow and come down slow but the spike is always lower than if I don't eat some fat. You don't need to gob it but some on your salad and have a few nuts after you eat. Not a palm ful but 3'or 4. I'm sure the steak had some fat so that is good. I always think if I eat leaner proteins like white fish or white turkey I need a little additional fat and if I eat fattier, denser food like steak, salmon, dark chicken I need a little less additional fat.

Glad you're doing better!!!! It's all trial and error and everyone's experiences are useful information for things to look for.

I, like chalup would continue to rise without eating. I could skip lunch but I need that insulin in the morning. Today I was doing a test to see when my insulin started lowering me at BF because I always rise after 2.5 hours. Well it didn't start lowering me for over two hours!!! That just showed me how much hormones waking up in the morning effect my bs. What I got out of it was that my insulin was only covering my food or my hormone rise but not both which is why I go high at 2.5 hours. Insulin gone. Experiment to continue....

To continue, when I was type 2 if I didn't eat a small fat snack in between meals I would rise as well. I had to eat a few nuts or some LC veggies and just enough to provoke an insulin response but not raise bs. If I was a bit higher than I liked I'd have a mushroom ore 1 piece of broccoli and within 20 min I started going lower.

Hope that helped or at least gave you some things to play with and watch for. ...

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Chalup thank you for replying I think I went about my diet all wrong then tried to rectify it by fasting and made it 10 times worse! Had great reading this morning and lunchtime so fingers crossed! Defo off to docs thanks again

If your doc is anything like mine was, the first response will be medication, but if diagnosed now I would insist on trying diet first - lchf. Hope fully your high figures were just a blip.

Toddlermummy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks concordjan, going by family history my doc would probably pit me on meds bit hopefully now I've worked out what I'm doing my figures will be OK