1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your Thoughts On The Cause, Of Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Dixon1995, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I was fascinated by it, I will get the book out and read again. It would seem there were 2 types of diabetes then, but not as we know it know it today. Type two happened in mainly older people and Type 1's withered away and died :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Concordjan

Concordjan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting reading.
    I do believe my type 2 was brought on by trauma. I do have an uncle with it but he was almost 70 before he did. Also have/had 8 other aunts and uncles that didn’t. I was 50 and never overweight. Perhaps enough trauma to cause my pancreas to partially fail?

3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Scott,many thanks for that, I will get hold of both. I love that paragraph too! Dunno about the drinking bit though!

4. Shinealight

Shinealight Type 1 · Member

My daughter's diabetes appeared at 3 and a half triggered by flu. Although I believe stress was a major factor. She and her (fraternal) twin sister started nursery school 3 months earlier and while her twin ajusted no problem she struggled enormously with the transition.

5. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whilst doing a STILE Course (the Shropshire equivalent of DAFNE), a lady there who had been Type 1 for the best part of 60 years, reckons it was fright. In the village where she had lived as a child, an old tramp used to go round scaring the children. After she had been frightened by him she was diagnosed with diabetes. The rest of the course participants just fell silent, but this lady had spent virtually the whole of her life believing this!

6. jamesfitz

jamesfitz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I strongly believe in the correlation between a lack of vitamin d and type 1 diabetes. I suffered from chronic mental health issues for circa 20 years and barely left the house. My vitamin d levels must have been at rock bottom.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook