Your Thoughts On The Cause, Of Type 1 Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was fascinated by it, I will get the book out and read again. It would seem there were 2 types of diabetes then, but not as we know it know it today. Type two happened in mainly older people and Type 1's withered away and died :(

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Interesting reading.
I do believe my type 2 was brought on by trauma. I do have an uncle with it but he was almost 70 before he did. Also have/had 8 other aunts and uncles that didn’t. I was 50 and never overweight. Perhaps enough trauma to cause my pancreas to partially fail?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a couple of books worth a browse if you're interested in the history of it, both on kindle:

Breakthrough, by Thea Cooper. Mainly about the discovery of insulin but quite a lot on pre-discovery treatment.

Diabetes: The Biography, by Robert Tattersall

That last one has got this quote from Elliot Joslin which always makes me smile:

"I must say that I do admire the backbone and the brains of the average diabetic and I truly believe on the whole they are superior to the common run of people and therefore their good qualities merit cultivation. Second, I think they are less apt to drink, far less likely to have syphilis or gonorrhea, and distinctly less likely to have, what is anathema to me, 'nervous prostration and nerves.'"

Scott,many thanks for that, I will get hold of both. I love that paragraph too! Dunno about the drinking bit though!

Shinealight

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter's diabetes appeared at 3 and a half triggered by flu. Although I believe stress was a major factor. She and her (fraternal) twin sister started nursery school 3 months earlier and while her twin ajusted no problem she struggled enormously with the transition.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst doing a STILE Course (the Shropshire equivalent of DAFNE), a lady there who had been Type 1 for the best part of 60 years, reckons it was fright. In the village where she had lived as a child, an old tramp used to go round scaring the children. After she had been frightened by him she was diagnosed with diabetes. The rest of the course participants just fell silent, but this lady had spent virtually the whole of her life believing this!

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I strongly believe in the correlation between a lack of vitamin d and type 1 diabetes. I suffered from chronic mental health issues for circa 20 years and barely left the house. My vitamin d levels must have been at rock bottom.