Ypsopump versus Tandem Tslim

EricW2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I've just joined. I hope you are all well, particularly your diabetes management.

I am going onto a pump this year, fingers crossed, and need to choose a pump by tomorrow. I am hesitating between Tandem TSlim and Ypsopump. Please help me decide

I like that both are small, light and touchscreen. Here are the pluses and minuses I have gleaned so far, please tell me if you agree and what other points I need to bear in mind:

TSlim +
Seems to have easier touchscreen, including pop up keyboard
Integrated bolus calculator
USB connection for charging and updating
TSlim -
Tube has a kind of connector thing (see picture) in it close to the end that looks uncomfortable (Diabetic Danica criticises this on Youtube)
No prefilled "plug and play" insulin cartridges. Some people say cartridge changing is hard work
Slightly bigger and heavier than Ypsopump
Some on Youtube like Diabetic Danica criticise the clip

Ypsopump +
360 degree canula rotation
Slightly smaller and lighter than TSlim
Plug and play cartridges and glass prefill cartridges
Ypsopump -
There is criticism of the Ypsopump infusion sets, particularly the cannulas on this forum as uncomfortable (is that true of everyone?)
No integrated bolus calculator, no keypad on touchscreen, seems harder to use than TSlim with fewer Bolus options
No idea what clip options are like
There don't seem to be any independent user testimonials on Ypsopump on Youtube. They're all in the corporate channel. That makes me suspicious

Anyone with advice please help ... I don't have long to decide

Attachments

• Danica connector.PNG
    Danica connector.PNG
    554.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @EricW2004 The issue is that unless anyone has used both then you'll never achieve good 360 degree feedback on this, there will always be a bias. I use the Tandem Slim with Control IS and Dexcom G6 and yes changing the cartridge is faff, I fully use the insulin on the cartridge before changing and not every 2 days as advised by the rep, it doesn't affect the efficacy of the insulin by going the distance over 3-4 days and even if it did I would notice quickly and change it, I was annoyed by all the beeps/etc when I first started using it as this would wake me in my sleep but everything is on vibrate now. On the plus side control is much tighter now so time in range from using the medtronic 640g has easily increased by around 10% so expecting to see a better HbA1c, downside is that I haven't quite figured out how to manage it with exercise, but that's a personal thing and will involve trial and error, I could use a temp basal pattern on the 640g which was brilliant but exercise mode on the Slim isn't cutting it and regularly hypo-ing whilst exercising. Would I recommend the pump - absolutely, it's a great piece of kit but cannot comment on the Ypsopump - perhaps try youtube as users like uploading their feedback there ?

Reactions: EricW2004

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry I should add changing the cartridge is faff yes - but it would be a minor consideration in my book when looking at a pump, a pump has to blend to your lifestyle so looking at what features are available such as sleep, exercise. Auto basal adjustments with Control IQ and Dexcom G6 has meant I have tighter control during sleep so am sleeping better which improves my insulin resistance and anxiety levels as well as a better HbA1c and TIR profiles too.

EricW2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I should add changing the cartridge is faff yes - but it would be a minor consideration in my book when looking at a pump, a pump has to blend to your lifestyle so looking at what features are available such as sleep, exercise. Auto basal adjustments with Control IQ and Dexcom G6 has meant I have tighter control during sleep so am sleeping better which improves my insulin resistance and anxiety levels as well as a better HbA1c and TIR profiles too.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it :)
I totally get it that it's hard for anyone to compare the pumps so I'm hopefully going to compare feedback from both sets of users as the next best thing.
How do you find applying the infusion sets with Tslim and do you find the whatever it's called thingy on the tube (circled in red on the uploaded image)?
Can you not choose your own rate for the exercise basal with tslim or even set it to zero?

Attachments

• Danica connector.PNG
    Danica connector.PNG
    554.3 KB · Views: 367

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @EricW2004 Personally I find applying the infusion sets no bother - the red circled thingy is just a connector that you screw in so no bother at all, I use the Tru Steel infusion sets as I don't get on with the teflon sets at all, kinking seems to be a common problem with all teflon sets, so steel tips are simple to use and rarely fail.

For exercise I always make sure I don't have insulin on board, regardless of any pump used, as muscles deplete glucose stores quickly during exercise, the exercise setting on the Tandem was supposed to simply change my target range so I could run higher, however even with switching this on an hour before exercise it's still sending me low 40-60 mins later, so now taking the pump off completely, however as I do runs for longer 1-2 hours am not sure how to manage this bit yet, someone suggested turning off Control IQ and manually adjusting doses, so that's my next step.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can’t comment on either really as I have the Medtronic 780 with the guardian 3 CGM, but what I can say is there was a guy on my training group who had previously used the Ypso & he absolutely hated it. Only lasted 3 month I believe then asked to be changed

EricW2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can’t comment on either really as I have the Medtronic 780 with the guardian 3 CGM, but what I can say is there was a guy on my training group who had previously used the Ypso & he absolutely hated it. Only lasted 3 month I believe then asked to be changed
Thanks Maco, I saw you make a similar comment in response to a lady whose daughter was using Ypsopump, thanks for taking the time to update me.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very pleased with my T:slim/Dexcom & Control IQ.
Should add that I don't have any experience of any other pump though.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am also very pleased with the t:slim and I'm using CIQ. I would say the cartridge is not too much of a faff, compared to my other pumps its much lighter. I too wondered about the "in line" connector on the tubing but its not caused me any issues. Sorry but cannot offer any advice on the Ypso.

Reactions: Topher

EricW2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also very pleased with the t:slim and I'm using CIQ. I would say the cartridge is not too much of a faff, compared to my other pumps its much lighter. I too wondered about the "in line" connector on the tubing but its not caused me any issues. Sorry but cannot offer any advice on the Ypso.
Thanks very much for your reply. It seems that there are a lot of happy TSLim users on this platform, but not comment from any Ypso users

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not been on here in a long while. Got a Ypsopump love it. No bother with the infusion sets. There are apps for both pumps in the app stores so you can try them out

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi everyone,

I've just joined. I hope you are all well, particularly your diabetes management.

I am going onto a pump this year, fingers crossed, and need to choose a pump by tomorrow. I am hesitating between Tandem TSlim and Ypsopump. Please help me decide

I like that both are small, light and touchscreen. Here are the pluses and minuses I have gleaned so far, please tell me if you agree and what other points I need to bear in mind:

TSlim +
Seems to have easier touchscreen, including pop up keyboard
Integrated bolus calculator
USB connection for charging and updating
TSlim -
Tube has a kind of connector thing (see picture) in it close to the end that looks uncomfortable (Diabetic Danica criticises this on Youtube)
No prefilled "plug and play" insulin cartridges. Some people say cartridge changing is hard work
Slightly bigger and heavier than Ypsopump
Some on Youtube like Diabetic Danica criticise the clip

Ypsopump +
360 degree canula rotation
Slightly smaller and lighter than TSlim
Plug and play cartridges and glass prefill cartridges
Ypsopump -
There is criticism of the Ypsopump infusion sets, particularly the cannulas on this forum as uncomfortable (is that true of everyone?)
No integrated bolus calculator, no keypad on touchscreen, seems harder to use than TSlim with fewer Bolus options
No idea what clip options are like
There don't seem to be any independent user testimonials on Ypsopump on Youtube. They're all in the corporate channel. That makes me suspicious

Anyone with advice please help ... I don't have long to decide

I trialed the Ypsomed for 2 months. Rotating cannula seemed like a good idea but tor me the reality was they got caught too often on my clothing and I pulled a few out. Preferred the insight, which is the only other one I have experience of. Controls were straight forward, but I felt lacking what I'd already got used to previously