Yummy cabbage instead of pasta

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I thought I'd share what I had for tea tonight.

I made the 'Suspiciously delicious cabbage' (creamy, gingery cabbage) on the following link (and it is surprisingly good) which I have used before as a vegetable side dish but tonight I used it instead of pasta and put some tinned salmon with it.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/08/cabbage-recipes-10-best

It made a nice change from courgetti and goes well with fish. WOuld go well with anything that is good with ginger (chicken?)

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferG

Cabbagetti (Spaghetti Sauce over uncooked shredded cabbage) -- it's quite delicious! (photo courtesy of me) [Yeah, that's sliced asparagus you see in the beefy tomato sauce :)] :

original

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'Yummy' and 'cabbage' in the same sentence has to be the most depressing thing I've ever seen.
'Yummy' and 'open for the choo choo' is slightly better.

JenniferG

I really do love the flavor of cabbage :) It has a very subtle sweetness which I enjoy and I love the texture.

You made me laugh though about the "open for the choo choo thing". You must of been a difficult child that didn't eat your veggies! /giggle

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I had shredded cabbage and broccoli satay beef stir-fry for my tea last night (and leftovers for lunch today). I liked it so much we had it again tonight with an oxtail stew. It's great, I love all varieties, spring greens which are quite bitter but lovely with butter, red cabbage in coleslaw, and my favourite is chard. Mmm, I will definitely have to try it with bolognese.

I'm still on the hunt for something that will soak up gravy instead of mashed potatoes though.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really do love the flavor of cabbage :) It has a very subtle sweetness which I enjoy and I love the texture.

You made me laugh though about the "open for the choo choo thing". You must of been a difficult child that didn't eat your veggies! /giggle

Could you really imagine, you go into Gordon Ramsay's restaurant.
He's in there, swearing at the kitchen staff, having a tantrum, he sends his best meal out, you eat it, call for the chef, he comes out, stands there, and in a loud voice, you proclaim to one and all,
'Gordon, that was yummy.'

I hate to think where he would put the spoon.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook cauliflower in boiling water until tender, about 6 minutes; drain. Pat cauliflower dry with paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
Blend cauliflower, cream cheese, garlic, and seasoned salt in a food processor until mostly smooth.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/232088/low-carb-mashed-cauliflower/

or this
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

or look here
http://www.livestrong.com/article/244073-low-carb-substitute-for-mashed-potatoes/

Last edited by a moderator:

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Isn't it great when you can convert a known dish or recipe to low carb? That reminds me of a lasagne dish using cabbage instead of pasta sheets, might try that soon.
Tonight I am attempting a lower carb and low calorie Fassolakia (Greek green beans in an oily tomato sauce). It smells pretty good. I cut down on the olive oil to bring the dish into BSD guidelines and replaced the potatoes with celeriac.