Zero-carb beer

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread's a year old, but if any one's interested, the Zero Five low alcohol bottled beer available at Booths tastes great IMO, and is only 2.4g carbs per 330ml bottle.

Also, has anyone tried Westbrooks Brewery Laguna Pale Ale - 1g carbs per 440ml can? Keen to try this, but a tad expensive - around £2/can in bulk
Thanks for the Laguna Pale tip - this is a link to the Westbrook site

https://westbrooksbrewery.co.uk/?ga...u16PE0GMKGKyLZ3A5mrIPC5VN_EVXUQxoCJW4QAvD_BwE

Unfortunately it looks like the Salute beers have fallen off the face of the earth.

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I was getting all excited reading through the thread but the posted link doesn't work.
I had a subscription and one day my delivery didn't arrive. They said it might be delayed. Then they stopped saying anything, and then the website and facebook page went down.

I can't recall where the actual brewery was other than it was in the Veneto.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I had a subscription and one day my delivery didn't arrive. They said it might be delayed. Then they stopped saying anything, and then the website and facebook page went down.

I can't recall where the actual brewery was other than it was in the Veneto.

….I was going to order some more too. I have one can left in the fridge !

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the Laguna Pale tip - this is a link to the Westbrook site

https://westbrooksbrewery.co.uk/?ga...u16PE0GMKGKyLZ3A5mrIPC5VN_EVXUQxoCJW4QAvD_BwE

Unfortunately it looks like the Salute beers have fallen off the face of the earth.
Ordered the mixed pack of 8 just to test them.
The price shows was just over £2.50 a can, but the last minute addition of shipping and tax took it up to £3 a can.
Tasting notes to follow in time.

Edit: will add tasting notes below.

Karussel Pilsner - allegedly Bohemian style (which used to mean living in unmarried sin in a house share). Came out of the fridge a bit cloudy. Pleasant taste if a little uninspiring. Is it worth £3 a pop? Not sure. Will see what it does to my BG.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bumping as an edit doesn't seem to flag up as new content.

(1) Karussel Pilsner - allegedly Bohemian style (which used to mean living in unmarried sin in a house share). Came out of the fridge a bit cloudy. Pleasant taste if a little uninspiring. Is it worth £3 a pop? Not sure. Will see what it does to my BG.

(2) Lime Rock New England IPA - right up my street! Cloudy out of the fridge but nicely hoppy and refreshing. Certainly worth buying again.

(3) Peraltada Unfiltered Mexican Lager - first one to not be cloudy when poured! So far I am liking this one. Doesn't have the citrus back taste which made the first two reminiscent of Lilt. May be my favourite so far.

(4) Laguna Hazy Pale Ale - very citrus and hoppy. Reminds me of the Citra beer available in the UK. Again very drinkable. The only one that I found underwhelming was (1).

All in all a great success and I will be ordering again.
Very much a taste thing, but if you like Citra you will probably like numbers 2-4.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bump.
Just keeping it in play which an edit doesn't.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Greetings. Im very interested in good low carb beer - beer is much more easily integrated into a working life than wine, I find, due to hugely lower alcohol content, and I always missed that aspect of drinking post diagnosis. Just couldn´t find one I actually liked, and when I did like in above a few messages back, it would go off the market way too quick as a boutique beer.

Then a boutique brewery Epic , in Aotearoa/NZ brought out not one but two low carb beers - I have been singing the praises of it ever since. One is a pale ale, my favourite - Epic Blue, at 3.3 grams of carbs per wee can. Epic Crush is a lovely IPA, at 2. something grams of carbs per wee can, and I will go for that one if I have not been able to determine the lack of sugar in a dish of food I have bought out (ie just too many carbs for my poor old malfunctioning blood glucose system to cope with). But hands down Epic blue is my fave.

If anyone lives or is visiting these south pacific shores at any time - I highly recommend these two LC beers. Very tasty.

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greetings. Im very interested in good low carb beer - beer is much more easily integrated into a working life than wine, I find, due to hugely lower alcohol content, and I always missed that aspect of drinking post diagnosis. Just couldn´t find one I actually liked, and when I did like in above a few messages back, it would go off the market way too quick as a boutique beer.

Then a boutique brewery Epic , in Aotearoa/NZ brought out not one but two low carb beers - I have been singing the praises of it ever since. One is a pale ale, my favourite - Epic Blue, at 3.3 grams of carbs per wee can. Epic Crush is a lovely IPA, at 2. something grams of carbs per wee can, and I will go for that one if I have not been able to determine the lack of sugar in a dish of food I have bought out (ie just too many carbs for my poor old malfunctioning blood glucose system to cope with). But hands down Epic blue is my fave.

If anyone lives or is visiting these south pacific shores at any time - I highly recommend these two LC beers. Very tasty.
We will be over in February for 6 weeks.
When you say "wee can" what size is this?
The Westbrook are 440 ml and either 1 or 2 carbs per can.
See up thread for my 4th review.

Baeeorn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the basis of this thread I ordered some Laguna from the Westbrook site mentioned above. It's lovely! And so far hasn't affected my blood sugar at all. Heartfelt thanks for the recommendation. I'd previously ordered from the sugar free beer people mentioned at the start of the article but of course they've ceased trading. I think the Laguna is better anyway, and it'll be a merry Xmas :)

Thanks

Paul.

Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Westbrook order turned up today, and purely in the interests of science I commenced extensive testing about 15 minutes ago. The Karussel Pilsner is certainly not the best pilsner I've ever had, but it's more than acceptable and has a nice sourness to the flavour. Definitely cloudy, not an issue for me. It's working really well in tandem with a Glenlivet.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Laguna Hazy Pale Ale tonight. Cloudy out of the can, nice sharp flavour I like in a pale ale. Like @LittleGreyCat , I think this one is good, certainly better than last night's Karussel.

Onwards!

Reactions: MrsA2

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We will be over in February for 6 weeks.
When you say "wee can" what size is this?
The Westbrook are 440 ml and either 1 or 2 carbs per can.
See up thread for my 4th review.

Just a standard 330ml can (yeah as opposed to those taller ones...). Bon voyage in February! (And a big ty for saying "over" rather than "down" - it saves me scowling, and growling, "actually, there is no up and down in space" :D . )

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight's test was the Laguna New England IPA. I am in full agreement with @LittleGreyCat above.

Star performer so far. Crisp, not over-hopped, citrus. A proper IPA. Also cloudy out of the can.

BTW, I've been cooling these on the garage floor at about 6C rather than in the fridge. Not sure it makes much of a difference.

Reactions: MrsA2

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A small word of caution.
Something is having a random laxative effect on me over the last few days and I haven't yet ruled out the beer.
Just taken delivery of a 4x6 package to see me over Xmas as well.
Interesting times!

• Informative
Reactions: KennyA

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight's test is Peraltada Unfiltered Mexican Lager.

Very fizzy out of the can and a huge head. Not cloudy! Like a Spanish beer as you might expect - Estrella Galicia, Cruzcampo or even San Miguel, but a lot more bitterness. Pretty good all round.

I think it comes in a close second to last night's New England IPA. The Karussel was the only one I was a bit disappointed with, but even so it will not go to waste.

Many thanks to @LittleGreyCat for the spot.

Unfortunately I have received no financial inducements or even any free beer for this endorsement of the product. One day maybe.

And no laxative effects have (so far) been recorded in this neck of the woods.

Baeeorn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll have to try the New England one as well on the basis of your report @KennyA , I went straight for a box of just Laguna. Anyway, I do feel this is the way forward and am really pleased that they’ve stepped up to making this available. I am (or was) actually an amateur brewer, so I’m starting to research techniques to be able to brew something for myself that is lower carb. I’m intrigued by the mention of special yeast strains; I’m guessing that the approach is to use a high attenuation yeast and also to do the mash at a slightly lower temperature to encourage maximum fermentable sugars to get a dry beer. I am not sure what other trickery they might be using.

Reactions: OrsonKartt