Zero Carb Noodles?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone here tried Shirataki Noodles? The sites I've seen 'em on say that they have ZERO CARBS! I'm gonna buy some 'cos I'd love to do a beef and spring onion stir fry with 'em.

But has anyone already tried these noodles?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've read everything that's available on t'interweb (google/lo-carb sites, etc...) - I just want to hear from someone that has actually tasted them. It's all very well them having zero carbs - but if they don't taste like food I ain't gonna eat 'em!

ChocFish

Yeah but Patch remember that everyone is different, so some might tell you these noodles are absolutely delicious so you go out and try them and find they are the most horrible food you ever had.

I myself am actually curious now and will definitely be getting myself a packet of these noodles, I am a nosey parker, I have to find out for myself.

All the best to you

Karen x

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried them in a leek and chicken broth. They come in a bag with water in and I had them in my cupboard for a while. All the information was in Japanese so I didn't know about expiry dates.

When I cut the packet open and drained them, there was a vague fishy smell but not offensive. I heated them up in the soup. It was lovely to be able to eat something of that consistancy, there wasn't particularly any taste.

The only negative comment is that the strands are very long and not as easy to bite through as spaghetti so next time, I will be cutting them short before I put them in soup.

Nil impact on my BS.

wiflib

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
are these the ones made from root protein fibre or something? I imagine they taste somewhat like seitan, which is an acquired taste but will be interested to hear all about your experiences :) J/x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
The following extracted from Wikipedia:

"Shirataki are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent, gelatinous traditional Japanese noodles made from the konjac plant. The word "shirataki" means "white waterfall", describing the appearance of these noodles. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own.

Shirataki noodles can be found both in dry and soft "wet" forms in Asian markets and some supermarkets. When wet, they are purchased pre-packaged in liquid. They normally have a shelf life of up to one year. Some brands may require rinsing or par-boiling as the water they are packaged in has an odor that may be unpleasant to those not accustomed to it.

There are two types of shirataki noodles sold in the United States. Traditional shirataki noodles have zero net carbohydrates, zero calories, no gluten, and are useful for those on low-carbohydrate diets. Tofu-based shirataki-style noodles are becoming increasingly popular in U.S. supermarkets and health food stores. They have a much shorter shelf life and require refrigeration even before opening. Tofu-based noodles contain a minimal amount of carbohydrates."

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I expect that like tofu they take on the flavours that you cook them with. Might be nice in Miso. :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just enjoyed the texture. I was nice to be able to eat soup with a carb! There are some dried soups available which are lowish in carbs but I never really enjoyed them. A home-made chicken noodle is devine.

I never thought to look in a chinese supermarket, of which there are two in Leicester. I'll be getting more noodles to experiment with.

wiflib