1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Zero Coke

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Andysgirl, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Andysgirl

Andysgirl Reactive hypoglycemia · Active Member

Hello - can anyone advise whether the occasional glass of Zero Coke is OK for people with RH please? I have had a look on the tin and it says there is no carb and no sugar so hoping it would be OK? Thanks in advance

2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Up to you (or the person on whose behalf you're asking given you don't have diabetes) but for me, a flat no.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Hi @Andysgirl.

Yes the occasional diet drink is ok. I prefer Pepsi max.

Have a look at aspartame!
    There is a lot of issues with this sugar, as it is supposed to be harmful in large quantities.
    But as I say the occasional one is fine! It won't raise your blood glucose levels.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lamont D

Hi @Mike D,

How are you?

She was asking cos she has RH!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andysgirl

Hello Nosher8355 - thanks for your invaluable advice as always, I am so glad to have discovered this forum and you! That is fab news and has made my day - small things hey! I will keep in mind the aspartame as a friend had very bad poisoning from it but it gives me an alternative to alcohol for my night out treat - thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lamont D

Here's another little tip that was interesting, if you are eating out or in the local.
    Don't buy diet drinks that are pumped, only buy bottled or canned diet, not only that check the can if it's an unfamiliar brand.
    The reason is, that pumped cola or anything is just added carbonated water to a solution which has high sugars and carbs! It only, not really, supposed to taste like diet drinks.
    Shocking isn't it!

Also, make sure that if you order a salad, that they don't put dressings on it. Another full of nasty things you don't want to put anywhere near you!

Always ask to see the chef if your not happy with the description on the menu, they should be accommodating if they want your custom.

Always happy to help!

7. Andysgirl

Thanks for the tips nosher8355 - definitely something I wouldnt have thought of!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lamont D

It all comes from what myself and others have experienced!

9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It is worth factoring caffeine too.

I don't drink coke, so don't know which cola variations have caff in them, but some people (like me) find that both artificial sweeteners and caffeine can affect them.

In my case it is more the stimulation, followed by the flop after, rather than a direct effect on bg.

When i flop, i am much more likely to crave sweet things and reach for the carbs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Come now, @nosher8355, you know that's not strictly true! Pumped diet drinks don't contain any sugar (as long as the bar staff use the correct button). If they did my blood glucose would always go through the roof, which it doesn't!

• Like Like x 7
  11. Lamont D

I beg to differ, as the solution they use is in a syrup form, then the solution is pumped through pipes to which carbonated water is added and dilutes the solution.
    It is full of man made sugars, sweeteners and such like.

Unless it is straight from a keg, that is what I was referring to!

Ones of my son's works for a brewery and told me this.
    My wife used to work in a pub, where own brand cola was served, the way I described it!

12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What do you mean by man made sugars, and again, how do you think they make the bottled stuff?

• Like Like x 3
  13. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at either.

You are accurately describing how a fountain drink system works, but you seem to be confused in assuming the concentrate (syrup) "Has high sugars and carbs."

For the sake of this conversation, and assuming everything is configured properly, there is no difference between a diet soda from a fountain system and that same soda in a can or bottle

14. bigboi

bigboi Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Completely agree with tim, it really shouldnt do much if anything to blood sugars , when i occasionally have a can of diet coke or zero coke its fine :S

• Like Like x 2
  15. bigboi

bigboi Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Caffiene effects bs?? Ive never been told that and i love my caffiene products..

16. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

The fountain style system of diet coke etc is a little risky as the staff can press the wrong button but if they are used correctly, diet coke is fine, not full of sugar or carbs at all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lamont D

Cans and bottles of diet drinks are fine but those that come from syrup and siphoned carbonated water are full of sweeteners, production sugars, that will have an effect on bloods!

There is a lot of brewers that use this type of 'diet' cola!

My last post! Goodbye!

18. TorqPenderloin

TorqPenderloin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That is a factually incorrect statement, but thank you for your contribution.

19. Victorri

Victorri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I only drink Diet Coke/ Pepsi max and always from a pump at pubs. It has never had an effect on my sugars

• Like Like x 2
  20. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@nosher8355 , and @Andysgirl - You could try testing the output of the pump with a test strip if you were concerned? I have heard of people using their blood meter (although I have never done this myself), or the urine dip strips would would pretty well, just dipped in for a second or two? Let's face it the urine dip strips aren't up to much else!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook