Zero sugar but not zero carb....

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even single ingredient items are not immune. I once bought some frozen peas from a well known supermart, and spiked because they had been washed in sugared water to make them sweet (the artificial Sweet Pea?) and thus palatable to the younger consumers. I have had chicken and meat spike me because the animals are often injected with sugar water to again make thems succulent and appealing to the younger portion of society, and also to add water to plump them up thus putting a finger on the scales when packing the product by weight. These tricks are not new, but seem to be more prevalent in our fast food society.
Many years ago (doing Atkins) I found that M&S roast chicken had a fair amount of sugar in it. I wrote to them about it and was told that the skin was (is?) sugared to make it go a nice shade of brown. But it was OK according to them because it wasn't very much sugar, well within the daily advisory.

• Funny
Reactions: ianf0ster

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago (doing Atkins) I found that M&S roast chicken had a fair amount of sugar in it. I wrote to them about it and was told that the skin was (is?) sugared to make it go a nice shade of brown. But it was OK according to them because it wasn't very much sugar, well within the daily advisory.
Supermarket hot chicken is often done like this too, I do buy it now and then but remove the skin just in case.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So only Almonds and water. No nasties as far as I can see In this particular Rude Health one. I guess it just a case of looking for the ingredients so I wouldn’t discount Rude Health completely
I wouldn't disagree there, but comparing products and checking ingredients is sometimes easier said than done.

I popped into Waitrose en route home this evening. Our nearesr branch currently stocks four different Rude Health almond milk drinks; at least three lines of longlife almond milk and currently one chilled version. I have no idea whether this represents the firm's entire range.

The ingredients are listed on the back of the cartons in seven different languages. In order to fit all this info into the available space, it's shown in small print, which is sometimes faint. Interested as I am in foreign languages, I found it trying to read all of them while standing in a crowded aisle with other customers trying to pass me.

I was unable to find a Rude Health.drink that was purely almonds and water. Oddly, one drink has more rice than almonds, so I think it should be renamed rice and almond milk!
Plenish has a higher nut content (6% almonds v. Rude Health 1%) so I feel Plenish is better value, but that's just my opinion of course.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It’s very often the case and technically not lying

I’ve seen it many times, some one (not me) used to buy diabetic sweets zero sugar 99% carbs

• Funny
Reactions: Oldvatr

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't disagree there, but comparing products and checking ingredients is sometimes easier said than done.

I popped into Waitrose en route home this evening. Our nearesr branch currently stocks four different Rude Health almond milk drinks; at least three lines of longlife almond milk and currently one chilled version. I have no idea whether this represents the firm's entire range.

The ingredients are listed on the back of the cartons in seven different languages. In order to fit all this info into the available space, it's shown in small print, which is sometimes faint. Interested as I am in foreign languages, I found it trying to read all of them while standing in a crowded aisle with other customers trying to pass me.

I was unable to find a Rude Health.drink that was purely almonds and water. Oddly, one drink has more rice than almonds, so I think it should be renamed rice and almond milk!
Plenish has a higher nut content (6% almonds v. Rude Health 1%) so I feel Plenish is better value, but that's just my opinion of course.

IMG_0036.jpg

Do you mean this?

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your reply. That's the beauty of this forum. It's always good to know that a tried and tested alternative exists, should your regular supplier not carry it.

My original point was the wording on the front of a carton which implied the firm's almond milk contained all natural ingredients. Once home, I found maltodextrin listed in the small print on the back.

I knew maltodextrins were widely used by the food industry as thickeners and fat replacers. (They have been linked to potential health risks, especially in vulnerable individuals such as diabetic customers). I could have kicked myself for falling for the carefully worded marketing guff printed in large letters on the front of the carton.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for your reply. That's the beauty of this forum. It's always good to know that a tried and tested alternative exists, should your regular supplier not carry it.

My original point was the wording on the front of a carton which implied the firm's almond milk contained all natural ingredients. Once home, I found maltodextrin listed in the small print on the back.

I knew maltodextrins were widely used by the food industry as thickeners and fat replacers. (They have been linked to potential health risks, especially in vulnerable individuals such as diabetic customers). I could have kicked myself for falling for the carefully worded marketing guff printed in large letters on the front of the carton.
I understand and I’m hawkeye when looking at ingredients. But you raised a point and I needed to check my own milk.
The Rude Health ultimate organic Almond milk does not have the maltodextrins, thank goodness.

It is just a question of scrutinising and there are other Rude Health alternatives that I would not touch. Incidentally the Almond Plenish has 5% almonds.

Reactions: LivingLightly