Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
My recovery was short lived: I'm back on liquid food supplements!

Anyway, I'm not complaining because my CT scan is finally happening on Friday, so any blockage or inflammation should stand out. (It would have been frustrating to get an "all clear" after waiting all this time - I need confirmation of the cause.)

S

Sable_Jan

Anyway, I'm not complaining because my CT scan is finally happening on Friday, so any blockage or inflammation should stand out. (It would have been frustrating to get an "all clear" after waiting all this time - I need confirmation of the cause.)
Good luck

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Hotpepper20000

I'm baking Charlotte spuds and cooking red cabbage for the first time. I'm going to try it as it is with just a touch of black pepper and lots of butter....
I love red cabbage. I make it with a green apple, apple cider vinegar and lots of pepper.
I also have red cabbage in a large jar for the last couple of months. Turning into sourkraut. Mmmm better then anything you can buy.

Reactions: Sable_Jan
S

Sable_Jan

I love red cabbage. I make it with a green apple, apple cider vinegar and lots of pepper.
I also have red cabbage in a large jar for the last couple of months. Turning into sourkraut. Mmmm better then anything you can buy.
I've had it pickled (jar) lots of times but hadn't had it cooked until yesterday..... home pickling is one aspect of cookery I've never tried

S

Sable_Jan

Going to stir fry my pack of stir fry veg from Sainsbury's that needs using but don't know if I should add some veggie hotdogs or fritatta it with eggs, herbs & cheese....

S

Sable_Jan

Yummy
I'd choose eggs. Lucky enough that I get them from very happy chickens from friend of my who has a farm.
I DID choose the eggs herbs and cheese and also added some chopped tomatoes (I forgot about them and they'd started going soft) so yummy I had an extra piece ...I'd put half on my plate and had another quarter... but ended up feeling a bit too full
Freerange eggs from Sainsbury's. I used to get barn eggs thinking they were ok until I saw how closely packed and peccking in poop they were .....

Reactions: Hotpepper20000
S

Sable_Jan

Onion balls?? Do tell me what that is.
My friend makes them for me and I daren't have too many at once cos of the batter (sometimes she does it thinner and its much better for the bs) I think its her take on onion bahjis..seems to be just onions in batter and lots of black pepper.....and deep fried. Sometimes she makes them with frozen mixed veg (the smaller chopped ones)

What I make for myself using a low carb flour are celeriac grated cakes.... my mother-in-law used to make them with grated potato (and sometimes onion)... just grated celeriac with enough flour to coat and hold together (usually needs a bit of milk or water with celeriac being dryer than spuds) small spoonsful squished into hot oil in frying pan and done until brown, turned over til brown on other side.....don't do them too thick or the celeriac won't be properly cooked. I know this wasn't what you asked about but thought you might like to try them. I like celeriac but it loses its taste when boiled then I remembered the grated cakes.... I think I used chestnut flour last time. you might need a touch of xanthan gum to help it to hold

Hotpepper20000

My friend makes them for me and I daren't have too many at once cos of the batter (sometimes she does it thinner and its much better for the bs) I think its her take on onion bahjis..seems to be just onions in batter and lots of black pepper.....and deep fried. Sometimes she makes them with frozen mixed veg (the smaller chopped ones)

What I make for myself using a low carb flour are celeriac grated cakes.... my mother-in-law used to make them with grated potato (and sometimes onion)... just grated celeriac with enough flour to coat and hold together (usually needs a bit of milk or water with celeriac being dryer than spuds) small spoonsful squished into hot oil in frying pan and done until brown, turned over til brown on other side.....don't do them too thick or the celeriac won't be properly cooked. I know this wasn't what you asked about but thought you might like to try them. I like celeriac but it loses its taste when boiled then I remembered the grated cakes.... I think I used chestnut flour last time. you might need a touch of xanthan gum to help it to hold
I think I know what they are now thanks. Sounds yummy.
You have given me a few great ideas though. I will give it some thought and try some ideas.
Celeriac.... I do not enjoy it at all. Guess I had it too much of it when I was young. That and Swiss chard.:***:
I like every other vegetable though.
Maybe I could use Kohlrabi instead.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hope the scan went well x

Reactions: Ledzeptt
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had a couple of friends here for dinner last night. We had

Stuffed mushrooms (Deliciously Ella recipe)
Green goddess salad (copied from Zizzi's menu)
Lidl roll garlic bread fingers
Potato wedges made in the actifry (pals don't have beetus)

Chocolate tofu pudding with a strawberry and chopped hazelnuts (Jamie Oliver recipe)
Wine

S

Sable_Jan

I think I know what they are now thanks. Sounds yummy.
You have given me a few great ideas though. I will give it some thought and try some ideas.
Celeriac.... I do not enjoy it at all. Guess I had it too much of it when I was young. That and Swiss chard.:***:
I like every other vegetable though.
Maybe I could use Kohlrabi instead.
I think any grateable veg would work for the grated cakes........ Glad I've given you some ideas there :)