Type 2 reversal did not work for me.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kyambala - loved your. beautiful Christmas Day story :) - can I please ask what you mean by "fresh carbs" is it referring to veggies etc or non processed carbs as well such as potatoes rice etc
Hello Lovinglife. Uganda is an agricultural economy. 80% of the population work on the land (in UK it is 3%). The only fertilizer they use is animal dung. Consequently the people are poor in cash terms (but they have land). They cannot afford antibiotics for their animals (thus fresh uncontaminated meat). Veg and fruit comes from the farm to the table (no need to irradiate). Milk comes from the cow - not the factory. (for example although I run a school I also have 5 cows and grow maize).

Unfortunately people who live in towns and cities have started buying "processed foods" from the new supermarkets - and guess what - Diabetes is now soaring.

"Processed foods" are the DEADLY WEAPON which is KILLING US. EVERYTHING we eat in the UK is CONTAMINATED one way or the other. I am 75 - a bit too old to start a farm in the UK - so I will have to find some way to source FRESH food.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When the Newcastle Study Diet was 'new' news and was discussed here in some detail I seem to remember Prof Taylor stating that it would work best for those T2's who had been diabetic less than 3 or 4 years, perhaps this is why it didnt work for you, I cant remember the reason why it worked best for that bracket of diabetics but I imagine there must be a reason why he said it burt I cant remember, perhaps someone who looked into it more than I did might have the answer.
Thanks Sid. I will have to look up the Newcastle Diet and Prof Taylor.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When the Newcastle Study Diet was 'new' news and was discussed here in some detail I seem to remember Prof Taylor stating that it would work best for those T2's who had been diabetic less than 3 or 4 years, perhaps this is why it didnt work for you, I cant remember the reason why it worked best for that bracket of diabetics but I imagine there must be a reason why he said it burt I cant remember, perhaps someone who looked into it more than I did might have the answer.

Possibly it's because obesity seems to lead more to insulin resistance, and overlaying of fat on the internal organs, which affects beta cells short term, whereas longer term diabetes can lead to damage to the beta cells.
It would appear the first scenario may be recoverable from, whereas the second seems to be less easy.
It seems to be down to personal thresholds, and I tried it on the basis any improvement would be better than none.

Reactions: kokhongw

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly it's because obesity seems to lead more to insulin resistance, and overlaying of fat on the internal organs, which affects beta cells short term, whereas longer term diabetes can lead to damage to the beta cells.
It would appear the first scenario may be recoverable from, whereas the second seems to be less easy.
It seems to be down to personal thresholds, and I tried it on the basis any improvement would be better than none.

Did it work for you Douglas?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Sid, the thrust of the Newcastle Diet seems to be eating 60 to 80 Calories per day. The information on Prof Taylor can be found on : www.ncl.ac.uk › Press Office › Latest News

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid, the thrust of the Newcastle Diet seems to be eating 60 to 80 Calories per day. The information on Prof Taylor can be found on : www.ncl.ac.uk › Press Office › Latest News
:woot::woot:
600 - 800

The study was conducted after finding that T2D's who had undergone bariatric surgery no longer displayed the symptoms of Diabetes. The aim of the study was to mimic bariatric surgery by subjecting participants to a VLC diet for 8 weeks. All participant experienced improved BG levels and for 40% a reversal of Diabetes was observed

Reactions: kokhongw

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I believe I've had type 2 for 40yrs now and I've done 600cals, IF and exercised to excess and took slimming tablet, tried starvation as well as excessive exercise.
I now cannot be surprised to be seeing a cardiologist. No reversal for me either but definitely control.
Keeping your diabetes in good shape is as good as reversal to me.
Just like people can wrongly typed, I believe not everyone has the disease. A predisposition yes but some people will be diagnosed wrong - fact!
I'm too long in the tooth to think otherwise. Otherwise why isn't there hundreds of reversals?
I think if your new to diabetes and the disease you may just be able to catch it in time and put it in reversal, but for how long? Stop worrying about reversal and concentrate on staying healthy. A healthy diabetic.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
:woot::woot:
600 - 800

The study was conducted after finding that T2D's who had undergone bariatric surgery no longer displayed the symptoms of Diabetes. The aim of the study was to mimic bariatric surgery by subjecting participants to a VLC diet for 8 weeks. All participant experienced improved BG levels and for 40% a reversal of Diabetes was observed

Thanks walnut_face. But I don't think I could live for 8 weeks on 600 - 800 calories per day. My wife thinks I eat about 2,500 calories per day at present. Yet I only weigh about 12.5 stone.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe I've had type 2 for 40yrs now and I've done 600cals, IF and exercised to excess and took slimming tablet, tried starvation as well as excessive exercise.
I now cannot be surprised to be seeing a cardiologist. No reversal for me either but definitely control.
Keeping your diabetes in good shape is as good as reversal to me.
Just like people can wrongly typed, I believe not everyone has the disease. A predisposition yes but some people will be diagnosed wrong - fact!
I'm too long in the tooth to think otherwise. Otherwise why isn't there hundreds of reversals?
I think if your new to diabetes and the disease you may just be able to catch it in time and put it in reversal, but for how long? Stop worrying about reversal and concentrate on staying healthy. A healthy diabetic.

Thanks ickihun. You are a marvel. Your history is worth reading also. Your advice is good advice - stay healthy. Sometimes we pin our hopes on others apparent success and think that it will apply to us. Dream on. But I still hope LCHF will work for me. ??

Reactions: zand

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did it work for you Douglas?

I would say yes.
I eat normally, no high fat, no low carb, but I eat sensibly, and not the pies and donuts I used to eat in excess.
My hba1c is normal.
My fasting is normal.
My BG is normally in the range specified here.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I have no complications.
However, I resist being labelled non diabetic, I don't worry if I go beyond any self imposed BG level, I don't worry over any rise, so long as I'm good with my numbers, and good with my health, my life goes on. :)

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say yes.
I eat normally, no high fat, no low carb, but I eat sensibly, and not the pies and donuts I used to eat in excess.
My hba1c is normal.
My fasting is normal.
My BG is normally in the range specified here.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html
I have no complications.
However, I resist being labelled non diabetic, I don't worry if I go beyond any self imposed BG level, I don't worry over any rise, so long as I'm good with my numbers, and good with my health, my life goes on. :)

Douglas that seems to me like a very sensible approach.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks walnut_face. But I don't think I could live for 8 weeks on 600 - 800 calories per day. My wife thinks I eat about 2,500 calories per day at present. Yet I only weigh about 12.5 stone.
Might be worth looking at the diary threads of those that have done VLC diets. I think most didnt think they would manage long on 800 cals, but then report that after day 3 or 4 they stopped chewing the table leg. You might want to take a look at the 5:2 diet for ideas - a lot less brutal (most of the week)

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Douglas, in your post you mentioned "overlaying of fat on the internal organs" - perhaps that is my problem - my belly always feels bloated in the UK - still large in Uganda but the bloated feeling is gone.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be worth looking at the diary threads of those that have done VLC diets. I think most didnt think they would manage long on 800 cals, but then report that after day 3 or 4 they stopped chewing the table leg. You might want to take a look at the 5:2 diet for ideas - a lot less brutal (most of the week)
Thanks walnut_face. Please, what is the 5:2 diet?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks walnut_face. Please, what is the 5:2 diet?
Written by Dr Michael Moseley, probably inspired by others? This advocates an 800 cal a day approach 2 days in 7, they can be any 2 days to suit your lifestyle.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I follow it (ish) in the spring, most certainly my weight dropped as did my BG levels, but I have to admit when I was diagnosed I took a duck punt view, and threw everything at the condition
5:2 diet
IF
Low Carb
Exercise
Supplements

If it seemed credible, to my logic, and didn't cost too much I had a go at it :D

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, in your post you mentioned "overlaying of fat on the internal organs" - perhaps that is my problem - my belly always feels bloated in the UK - still large in Uganda but the bloated feeling is gone.

It could be a gluten intolerance or something similar. I don't have it personally, but food here is much more processed, and the 'bloating' could be related to that.
However, all our food is more processed, meat is laden with antibiotics, and growth hormones, and overfed with feed before slaughter, vegetables are heavily fertilized, fish is farmed, cheese is from cattle that are fed processed feed before they make milk, so it's worth leaving out one food group at a time, and seeing if anything affects the feeling after a week or two.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be a gluten intolerance or something similar. I don't have it personally, but food here is much more processed, and the 'bloating' could be related to that.
However, all our food is more processed, meat is laden with antibiotics, and growth hormones, and overfed with feed before slaughter, vegetables are heavily fertilized, fish is farmed, cheese is from cattle that are fed processed feed before they make milk, so it's worth leaving out one food group at a time, and seeing if anything affects the feeling after a week or two.

Hi Douglas. Your information doesn't leave much left to eat? In Uganda the food is FRESH except in the supermarkets where they sell processed foods. Consequently, Diabetes is soaring in Uganda because many people have started eating processed foods. 15 years ago there were only 2 Diabetics in Masaka (an Indian Doctor and myself) now they have a Diabetic Clinic in the local hospital. Progress?

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Written by Dr Michael Moseley, probably inspired by others? This advocates an 800 cal a day approach 2 days in 7, they can be any 2 days to suit your lifestyle.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I follow it (ish) in the spring, most certainly my weight dropped as did my BG levels, but I have to admit when I was diagnosed I took a duck punt view, and threw everything at the condition
5:2 diet
IF
Low Carb
Exercise
Supplements

If it seemed credible, to my logic, and didn't cost too much I had a go at it :D

Thanks walnut_face. Now that I read your post it is obvious what 5:2 means. Another question: what does IF mean?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks walnut_face. Now that I read your post it is obvious what 5:2 means. Another question: what does IF mean?
IF = Intermittent Fasting
The idea here is to give the pancreas a rest, even if only for a few hours, thus reducing the amount of insulin swilling around
There is no set model, some do 16:8 in other words they fast for 16 hrs in 24 and only eat during an 8 hr window. Easy example is to omit breakfast each day. After all having slept you are already ½ way there