Type 2 reversal did not work for me.

billiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I been diagnosed on 21 Nov 2016. Started on 2 x 40mg gliclazide a day. From day one low carb diet n controlled portion size one hour exercise or min 30min walk. Eating plenty salads and dry fruits. In three weeks from 2 tablet a day to 1 after discussing with my GP. First day fasting was 13.9 and now mostly under 6. Apart from calorie and carb count one need to understand with food and qty gives spike. planning to loose one stone and then will ask my GP if i can go off oral to try.

Reactions: Prem51

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
IF = Intermittent Fasting
The idea here is to give the pancreas a rest, even if only for a few hours, thus reducing the amount of insulin swilling around
There is no set model, some do 16:8 in other words they fast for 16 hrs in 24 and only eat during an 8 hr window. Easy example is to omit breakfast each day. After all having slept you are already ½ way there

Thanks walnut_face. I have been reading up on the 5:2 Fast Diet. Some very interesting comments on their Forum. In 2 weeks I am back in UK and might even try the 5:2 combined with LCHF - do you think I will survive? My wife is not in favour!

Reactions: Energize

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year.

Peace and blessings to you, and I hope to travel to missions, meeting many people, and both giving help and support, and to receive welcome in the coming years.

Good morning Douglas - my first morning on my laptop in 2017 (I don't use it on a Sunday). Enjoy your journey through Africa and beware some of the local diets. I go home to the UK in 2 weeks time. My time in Africa is finished and now I hope to have a few months rest before looking for another open door. I am leaving - you are coming. The same Master organising.

Make sure you have a good supply of meds - genuine ones can be hard to come by in Africa. There are plenty of fakes. Some "Customs Officials" insist in opening every packet to ensure that you are not carrying illegal drugs. Bring a letter from your Doctor explaining which drugs you are on. If you are on Insulin get yourself a stock of "Freeo Bags" to keep your insulin cool.

At Manchester Airport they insisted in emptying my "Freeo Bags" and checking every bag for hidden drugs. Insulin started warming up to room temp. I was not pleased.

Have a good journey & God bless

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks ickihun. You are a marvel. Your history is worth reading also. Your advice is good advice - stay healthy. Sometimes we pin our hopes on others apparent success and think that it will apply to us. Dream on. But I still hope LCHF will work for me. ??
How are you getting on @Kyambala ?

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes @Kyambala . Ditch bread and only have one naughty sausage and see how different you will see things. Yummy breakfast.
I have mushrooms, one sausage as content unknown, 4 rashes of bacon and scrambled eyes with butter. If I'm being strict I have fried eggs and no sausage. But definitely no bread or beans. I use egg yolks to help with bacon. Although I may have to knock salty foods on the head, we'll see.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy but avoid carby foods. You can work on reducing portion sizes once your backbone of foods are right? But its not a must at this stage.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Debbie and Andrews pork chipolatas have almost no carbs I got 2 packs in the reduced section of TESCO yesterday
CAROL

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be a real hardship to give up the piece of bread each morning?
Perhaps check on the carb content of the sausages - some can be rather high. Small changes can make a big difference when done every day.

Thanks Resurgam. Fasting BS was 5 at 10.30 and as I didn't feel hungry I had delayed breakfast until 11 am. 2 rashers of bacon, one egg, and one slice of wholemeal bread (need the bread to soak up the egg yolk). Afterwards weighed myself 85 kg. My wife tells me that the bathroom scales weigh 2 kg heavy. So, if she is right, she always is, that means that I have LOST 2 kg in 2 weeks. Sounds good!!! Have been told lunch at 3 pm will be chicken with salad. I am enjoying this "meat rich" cuisine - good job I am a pensioner or I could not afford it. I do not have a private pension.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @Kyambala . Ditch bread and only have one naughty sausage and see how different you will see things. Yummy breakfast.
I have mushrooms, one sausage as content unknown, 4 rashes of bacon and scrambled eyes with butter. If I'm being strict I have fried eggs and no sausage. But definitely no bread or beans. I use egg yolks to help with bacon. Although I may have to knock salty foods on the head, we'll see.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy but avoid carby foods. You can work on reducing portion sizes once your backbone of foods are right? But its not a must at this stage.

Hello ickihun. Thanks for the advice. After looking at your profile I think congratulations are in order for even coping with childbirth (you ladies are a marvel). I would have thought that a reduction on the amount of breakfast you eat would be a good idea if you had a weight problem. Also, are "fatty foods" compatible with Liver problems? My wife loves cooking and I love her so reducing the portion sizes might prove difficult.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you @Kyambala
I have been wondering how you are adjusting to your new way of eating, and am delighted to read that you seem happy with it.
Are you missing the carbs?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam. Fasting BS was 5 at 10.30 and as I didn't feel hungry I had delayed breakfast until 11 am. 2 rashers of bacon, one egg, and one slice of wholemeal bread (need the bread to soak up the egg yolk). Afterwards weighed myself 85 kg. My wife tells me that the bathroom scales weigh 2 kg heavy. So, if she is right, she always is, that means that I have LOST 2 kg in 2 weeks. Sounds good!!! Have been told lunch at 3 pm will be chicken with salad. I am enjoying this "meat rich" cuisine - good job I am a pensioner or I could not afford it. I do not have a private pension.
Use lots of fat or oil to cook the egg and either turn it over or tip the hot fat over the yoke so it is not runny. Far better to do that than eat bread with lots of carbs.
My fasting BG was 6.5 mmol/l at the hospital last week - just for comparison.

Reactions: Freema and Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to see you @Kyambala
I have been wondering how you are adjusting to your new way of eating, and am delighted to read that you seem happy with it.
Are you missing the carbs?

Hi Brunneria. Good to hear from you. I am enjoying this "yummy" way of eating after eating mainly Posho & beans for lunch nearly every for the past 15 years in Uganda. Posho is Cornflour boiled and stirred (mingled) up into a solid mass of dough. If well made it can taste quite nice ad really fills your tummy. It is the "staple" in the Central Region of Uganda. In the North & West the "staple" is Millet - which can also taste quite nice.

Here in the UK we eat a much bigger varieties of food - sadly most of it is processed and I firmly believe that it is killing us.

Most Ugandans can only afford to eat one or two meals per day and therefore Posho or Millet fills their tummy. With the introduction and growth of Supermarkets selling "Western" processed foods, Diabetes has suddenly become a problem in Uganda whereas 15 years ago it was virtually unheard of.

So, I am enjoying a wider variety of LCHF food - and I do not long for the carbs - but I do miss the children in Uganda very much. Thanks for posting.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Use lots of fat or oil to cook the egg and either turn it over or tip the hot fat over the yoke so it is not runny. Far better to do that than eat bread with lots of carbs.
My fasting BG was 6.5 mmol/l at the hospital last week - just for comparison.

Thanks again Resurgam. My wife has started cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil - but I prefer my egg yolk runny and as I have cut out the potatoes, carrots, parsnips and even Diabetic cake please let me have the pleasure on one slice of wholemeal bread with my runny egg. I still appreciate your concern.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, you can still have cake on a low carb way of eating.
Check out this website. All the recipes are suitable for LCHF, and the ones I have tried have been DELICIOUS!

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/?s=cake

If you fancy a particular type of cake (like coffee cake, or chocolate cake) just do a websearch for 'low carb chocolate cake recipe' and the recipes will pop up. Then just pick one that you (er... your wife) would like to make. :D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the Lidl protein rolls then - as its you.
The extra virgin olive oil is best saved for salad dressing, with a wine vinegar, either white or red - watch out for those with added sugar.
I use groundnut oil for frying on the advice of the owner of the fish and chip shop which serves the best ones in Sidmouth - I go there on holiday each year and I have tried them all at one time or another.