What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Any thoughts?
Well, you're T2, as I, and I acknowledge that I need to think of Plateaues. Meaning, that once I have achieved a sustainable and maintaining Plateau for a L -O - N - G period, I can then build on that achievement. But, to do this is really hard and disillusioning in the extreme. For me getting down from an 18 when I first started was a grind and had no idea just what I was doing, but fairly quickly I was able to achieve a 50% drop in my HBA1C in three months. Yippee! But in a sense that was always going to mislead me . . . Doing the same attack on my Meds and Foods is fraught with hiccups and, as yesterday showed me a Spike of 12.7, yes, sure this was battered down to a six in short order, and here I stand . . . . So, for me, its about sustainable long plateaus of achievement, and yes, Christmas hasn't helped. But in another sense, it has re-re-reinforced my understanding of myself and the Monster that is T2.

@Welshman1952 I hope this has helped.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg today was a worrying 8.4. I am really quite concerned as yesterday was really quite low carb and no naughties. I checked my weight and I'm the same as last Friday. A week ago my fbg's were in the low 7s.

Any thoughts?
Morning @Welshman1952. Type 2 is a very individual disorder and we're all different, as you know.

In my own case, finger-pricking over some 20 years has shown me that type 2 doesn't necessarily operate on a meal-to-meal basis. The effects of kicking over the traces are cumulative.

Sounds as though you lined up your ducks yesterday. The question is, can you keep this up?
If so, barring illness or injury, your FBG levels first thing in the morning should gradually come down.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg today was a worrying 8.4. I am really quite concerned as yesterday was really quite low carb and no naughties. I checked my weight and I'm the same as last Friday. A week ago my fbg's were in the low 7s.

Any thoughts?
P.S. One disappointing reading doesn't matter. A week's worth might, a month's worth will, and a year or more's worth is probably what unknowingly landed most of us in diabetes territory.

Dorro

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiyah! I’ll need to research these beta cells.

Indeed on the other hand too.

Well all that’s reassuring, thank you. I’m hoping other T2 reading your and my experience will gain some insight and reassurance too. I did feel very vulnerable when that 12 pinged into view.

Anywho, back in a morning 6.7.
might not be your beta cells.....might be your fat cells getting more responsive?...

Dorro

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning after sandwiches, sausage rolls and two large peices of pecan and toffee roulade with double cream the night before !.....so all in all not as bad as I expected.

new libre just installed and waiting for warm up...jfyi i use xdrip+ as the libre alwas reads 2-3 mmol high even when blood glucose is stable and xdrip can be calibrated....

keep safe folks.

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my first blood test showed 3.8…. I laughed and did another, no way 3.8 is accurate. Second test was 7.0, yesterday was 7.0
i don’t get it…very, very, very low carb…I throw my hands up in despair…
did go for bloodwork this morning so we’ll see what the new and shiny A1C will be. Hopefully get results tomorrow.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Good Morning

FBG Fingerprick 7.6 Libre 7.7 after cruising around most of the night in the 5.5-6.0 kind of range till i get up. Lol might start testing the second i wake up.
That’s when a lot of us test, me included - feet on the floor FOTF. Next to my bed have a container of water and a clean face cloth which I use to clean the sacrificial finger.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning

FBG Fingerprick 7.6 Libre 7.7 after cruising around most of the night in the 5.5-6.0 kind of range till i get up. Lol might start testing the second i wake up.
That’s when a lot of us test, me included - feet on the floor FOTF. Next to my bed have a container of water and a clean face cloth which I use to clean the sacrificial finger.
Evening @RoughcutAU and @aylalake.

Yes, it's the only way to obtain a basis for comparison with previous FBG readings.

A modest rise afterwards is due to an increase in your liver's glucose production and is normal. This maintains blood glucose levels while you start to move around. (It occurs in non-diabetic individuals as well, but if not diabetic will quickly return to normal, thanks to the insulin released in response.)

You can think of the higher readings as the body preparing itself for the increased energy demands needed to wake up and ensure enough glucose is ready for use now you've become active.

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 5.9 Wednesday morning. It was basically flatlining around that level or lower all night, according to Libre. Happy with that.

Had an interesting couple of readings yesterday when I went for a swim - pool was cool but not uncomfortable, it was sunny and the air temp was around 24 *C. Libre shot down to 3.9, although I felt fine. It did it when I went in again about an hour later, having dried out & BG gone back to around 6.0.

Not sure why, and I wouldn’t have known unless I’d been wearing the Libre. Interesting!

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My bathroom is only 4-5 steps away. Get up and wash my hands with warm water and regular soap and dry. Test right away, I have been doing it for years without any problems.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to post yesterday. 6.6.. this morning's number, 8.0. Understandable as I spent last night mopping up hero's... very naughty. Sigh. Need to find my mojo, on holibobs on satuday for a week. that's gonna be tricky. Bigger sigh. NOT A HUGE FAN OF DIABETES at the mo. Anyhoo. Hugs to my friends who need them. Keep up your good work.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Libre 6.9
Contour 6.4
Been up all ight with a hacking cough, should be at work today but husband in bed poorly & my car is still at work (20 miles away) after being abandoned last Thursday
Always end up being ill over Christmas every year