Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmmm - just researched and it appears to be another one to mess about with - I'm going to try and make some celeriac wedges with garlic and thyme to go with the burgers.

Tempted by the idea of a starter of prawn cocktail with some avocado.... Starting to feel a little peckish!

Garyfx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi everyone
My wake up bloods were 8.7 this morning , so for breakfast I ate two weetabix two hours later and it's reading 15 I don't know what's going on .

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
My wake up bloods were 8.7 this morning , so for breakfast I ate two weetabix two hours later and it's reading 15 I don't know what's going on .

2 weetabix with milk will contain around 35g of easily processed carbs, so it's not surprising your blood sugar went up to be honest, particularly in the early days.

When I was first diagnosed, I cut out was breakfast cereals and replaced them with bacon, eggs, etc - much less carbs to spike your blood sugar that way :)

A year on, I can tolerate more carbs now and can eat some breakfast cereals but I am very careful to make sure my start levels are as low as possible before eating anything and that way if it does spike it's still tolerable

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had small porridge portion for breakfast and onion/cheese omelette.

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Garyfx - try omelettes - throw in fresh thyme if you can... really tasty and keeps you going. Also, try snacking on walnuts!

Breakfast today was almonds and dried peaches
Lunch was a fab vegetarian salad box from a local Mediterranean restaurant, with some pork belly on top.
Tonight it'll be chicken curry with loads of broccoli & spinach to bulk it out...

Tomorrow night will be treat night.....

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another day, another meal plan!

Breakfast was dried peaches and almonds, with some coffee
Lunch, again I'm hitting the Med restaurant for their fabulous salad box & pork belly
... And tonight, the OH is out vanting her galley, so I'm on a proper man supper

Starter of lambs kidney and bacon stack, with a little bolsamic glaze
Surf & turf - A proper man-steak (thank you to our fabulous butcher!), a couple of really nice looking scallops (And Thank you to our fabulous Fishmonger!) and a stack of veggies (I'm thinking purple sprouting broccoli with some butternut squash rounds - I have some frozen stock cubes, so have the potential of a little sauce...

There will be red wine involved.

Pudding - I don't think I'll have room!

<Grins like Greg Wallace>

Reactions: 2 people

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An update to last night's supper... Didn't have the purple sprouting broccoli because the children ate it all... Had to make do with butternut squash & leek. Still very tasty. Red wine was enjoyed, too...

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I had a slice of black pudding, egg & bacon and oodles of coffee.

Lunch we went to The Urban Burger Bar... Had a monster burger and left the lovely looking brioche bun, but filled up on some scummy coleslaw.

might still be too full for supper. Might make do with some cheese and celery. Maybe a little red wine too.

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This morning I had a slice of black pudding, egg & bacon and oodles of coffee.

Lunch we went to The Urban Burger Bar... Had a monster burger and left the lovely looking brioche bun, but filled up on some scummy coleslaw.

might still be too full for supper. Might make do with some cheese and celery. Maybe a little red wine too.
my husband is trying LCHF diet and sugar levels are around 6/7 he checks levels twice a day and then we decide what he eats ....Your posts re what you are eating are very amusing ...like that the kids ate your broccoli lol ....keep posting ....

Reactions: 4 people

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well... Started the day on almonds and dried apricots... and coffee. Rubbish night's sleep last night and a monster busy day today. Ho Hum!

Last night I made salmon with a gorgeous red pepper sauce - the OH had chips and I was very good at resisting (Even if I do say so myself, I make fabulous chips!) - I prepared the left-over top-end of a butternut squash - scooped out the seeds and mush, peeled and then roasted it in with the chips. Had some bargain-bin prawns that needed eating so pan-fried those with loads of garlic and lemon juice and packed mine into the butternut squash then topped the lot with the pepper sauce (If you want to be a smarty pants, you can pack the red-pepper sauce into rice (for those of you who can tolerate rice) - if you cook brown rice in chicken stock it makes it really tasty... Anyway, roast the red peppers until all the skin is blackened, stick them in a pan and allow to cool - peel off the black bits, pull out the seeds and throw the peppers in a blender with some cream and blend until smooth - you can pass through a sieve, too if you like... then warm and pour onto salmon, or monkfish - or any meaty fish. If you're going to do the rice thing, grab a bowl and grease a little, pack the rice in and make a little well using an egg cup. Pull out the egg cup and fill the well with the red pepper sauce, finally covering with more rice. Place a plate on top, up-end and tap and pull off the bowl. The rather nice looking dome will hold the pepper sauce until you cut into the rice, rather like a chicken kiev... but RED!!!! Again, serve with a meaty fish....)

Tonight we're on steak - more bargain bin stuff - a couple of fab looking sirloins, plenty of veggies for me and maybe some mushrooms. I think we have some blue cheese in the fridge, might use that up with the remaining cream and some garlic.

It's a good job I work in a room on my own...!

BTW - Jojo Broadie - I'm glad you like my ramblings. I must admit it's fun - I also like it that our lads (9 & 7 - both going on 17) are such good eaters...

Reactions: 6 people

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very tired again today - better part of two hours to drive in, too!

Well last night we had steaks and last bits of fresh veggies - The OH had chips, which i severely coveted! However, did a rather fine garlic, mushroom and stinky-blue-cheese and cream sauce. I had the rest of a savoy cabbage with some cavolo nero mixed through and a couple of small rounds of butternut squash...

This morning was some almonds, as I wasn't feeling hungry (am now though) and of course, coffee

Lunch will be last of chilli & remains of savoy cabbage (odd mix, I know, but I'd prefer that to having rice!!)

Happy Thursday everyone!!!

Lizzypier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast mushroom omelette
Snack Brazil nuts
Lunch veggie curry made with Greek yoghurt
Snack corn cake and almond butter
Dinner more left over curry and pistachios.
Discovered cherry and cinnamon tea today...mmmm

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast mushroom omelette
Snack Brazil nuts
Lunch veggie curry made with Greek yoghurt
Snack corn cake and almond butter
Dinner more left over curry and pistachios.
Discovered cherry and cinnamon tea today...mmmm
You veg curry sounds nice with Greek yoghurt, could you post the recipe for us please?

Lizzypier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You veg curry sounds nice with Greek yoghurt, could you post the recipe for us please?
It's a bit of a cheat way to make curry but brilliant. Basically you slow cook your veg in one can chopped tomato, 125g Greek yoghurt, 200ml stock and a mix of spices. I discovered a company called Chilli Papas that provides premixed spices for making about 10 different curries from chilli free to hot. Cook for an hour. So my veg is an aubergine, half cauliflower, 2carrots, an onion , a leek, a courgette. I eat mine with salad leaves and spinch not rice.

Attachments

• 20151209_170452.jpg
    20151209_170452.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 259

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a bit of a cheat way to make curry but brilliant. Basically you slow cook your veg in one can chopped tomato, 125g Greek yoghurt, 200ml stock and a mix of spices. I discovered a company called Chilli Papas that provides premixed spices for making about 10 different curries from chilli free to hot. Cook for an hour. So my veg is an aubergine, half cauliflower, 2carrots, an onion , a leek, a courgette. I eat mine with salad leaves and spinch not rice.
Thank you

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good-Day to y'all!

Well, the weekend was another learning weekend - made jerusalem artichokes for the first time - cooked in a little water for about 15 mins, then added butter (Edited to add that I forgot to mention the rosemary I chucked in, too...!) to finish off then a healthy lug of bolsamic vinegar - warmed through and left to rest for a few minutes - served with garlic mushrooms and cheese. Oh, yes and some red wine!

Lunch was a very well behaved burger (no bun) and enough salad to sink a battleship

Yesterday was an FEB - sausages, bacon & egg - loads of coffee!

Lunch was a winter burger - again, without the bun (I did have a few chips) and plenty of veggies.

Last night - snacky supper of left-over salmon fillet, some prawns and roasted artichokes.

Today... almonds and dried apricots in the car to work, snack of walnuts

Lamb Rogan Josh with veggies - and a lunchtime stroll... Need some fresh air!!!

And tonight, the last of the LRJ - the OH will rice and I'll have butternut squash

Last edited by a moderator: