Your thoughts on the future of the forum

K

Kat100

Thought I would go and see what options are available in my profile and noticed that there are 2 Type 2 entries! Changed mine so that bots can't read it. Did think I would change it to do not have whilst I have normal HbA1cs :bag:
How did you do that please @Andrew Colvin and hello to you as well .. Best wishes .. Kat

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the ppl with visual impairments would really struggle with anything that affects the page colour.

Maybe use it for titles, or have a coloured symbol or something, instead?

It should work in grey now! Does it work for you?

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Kat100 I went to personal details in my profile (click your avatar top right) and change the "relation to diabetes" field

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I suggest we have a section for external references to useful videos/ articles which we can then all discuss. The good thing about this would that you could then easily find them again and see peoples different views.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the ppl with visual impairments would really struggle with anything that affects the page colour.

Maybe use it for titles, or have a coloured symbol or something, instead?
Yes, @Administrator , Giverny went to a lot of trouble to make the monochrome version for those who, like me, have visual perception problems with colours on screen. Please do not reverse her good work.
Unfortunately, when some members choose to alter the font colour of their posts this still makes it difficult to read, because it overrides the monochome.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm in grey, on my iPad, and also was earlier on my laptop, so there's discrimination on the basis of colour going on here!

Please take that remark, recognising my tongue in my cheek.

@Administrator - does the sub-avatar type just copy from the profile page?

Like all things diabetes, where things can be not cut and dried, like T2 on insulin, or those considered resolved, users may have to plump for the closest match. For those, like @Kat100 , does a "prefer not to say" option exist? That's what many large organisations use when making ethnic, disability and religion enquiries, and it would appear both truthful, and certainly in some cases, very accurate.

I detest labels myself, but I know I find it frustrating when trying to answer a user query -especially new users, when asking can merely delay a valid response, so I do think there is valid rationale in providing that information, alongside every post.

On an aside, for some time, there was a bug around which displayed new users as T1 or T1.5, controlled by diet. To the "mature" and readily befuddled, like myself, that can lead to further questioning. (Actually, that could just be because I'm nosey. :) )

Yes, currently it does. The new update will make it a separate field so people can edit it more freely. (In some instances for example, therapy type might be relevant.)

Type 2 is technically in there twice until all people's choices filter through (which will probably about 6-8 weeks). Type 1.5 has been moved down the list and there is now the option for Prefer not to say (Private) too. :)

The nosey bit was added in the Low Carb Program and quite a lot of people are choosing it! :eek:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, @Administrator , Giverny went to a lot of trouble to make the monochrome version for those who, like me, have visual perception problems with colours on screen. Please do not reverse her good work.
Unfortunately, when some members choose to alter the font colour of their posts this still makes it difficult to read, because it overrides the monochome.

Ah, so the option to set the text colour would be useful? That is certainly possible and totally makes sense.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, currently it does. The new update will make it a separate field so people can edit it more freely. (In some instances for example, therapy type might be relevant.)

Type 2 is technically in there twice until all people's choices filter through (which will probably about 6-8 weeks). Type 1.5 has been moved down the list and there is now the option for Prefer not to say (Private) too. :)

The nosey bit was added in the Low Carb Program and quite a lot of people are choosing it! :eek:

OK, perhaps I'm having a brain fade, but how do I look at the various options for user status? @Andrew Colvin suggested to another member she "change her relation to diabetes", but I don't seem to have an edit option in that area.

As I said,............ readily bewildered. :confused:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, perhaps I'm having a brain fade, but how do I look at the various options for user status? @Andrew Colvin suggested to another member she "change her relation to diabetes", but I don't seem to have an edit option in that area.

As I said,............ readily bewildered. :confused:

Its in Profile/personal details

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Reactions: 3 people