Statins - good or bad - what does the research say?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Interesting that the study only *associated* statins with CKD and did not indicate a causative relationship.

Doug

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that the study only *associated* statins with CKD and did not indicate a causative relationship.

Doug
In a similar way cigarettes are "associated" with cancer. Never actually been proven beyond doubt although evidence is gaining.
Tough choice.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I have stopped taking statins just hope my legs will stop hurting when I walk

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Doug

It's also interesting that NICE recommends that people started on statins should have a 3 month kidney function test followed by annual ones, and great care should be taken before prescribing statins that the person has properly functioning kidneys.

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am still on statins and still do not know whether they good for me or whether to stop tkaing them as I have no side effects from them at all?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
In a similar way cigarettes are "associated" with cancer. Never actually been proven beyond doubt although evidence is gaining.
Tough choice.
The amount of research and the availability of genetic (DNA) research results is changing that.

Doug

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It's also interesting that NICE recommends that people started on statins should have a 3 month kidney function test followed by annual ones, and great care should be taken before prescribing statins that the person has properly functioning kidneys.
A number of medications have prescribing rules around kidney function.

Doug

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still on statins and still do not know whether they good for me or whether to stop tkaing them as I have no side effects from them at all?

Patsy, only you can make that decision after reading all the pros and cons.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The amount of research and the availability of genetic (DNA) research results is changing that.

Doug
Agreed, very similar to statins really. Compared to 5 years ago, the growing voices of concern amongst both patients and the medical profession has increased dramatically.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
@dannyw I am not sure that the research on tobacco is directly comparable with that on statins.

Doug

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried most of the branded statins at some time over the last 10 years, all had the same result:- No reduction in lipid panel, but debilitaing arm and shoulder pain after the first week or so. I have had a background Ezetemibe dose for some time, but again it does not seem to help lower the LDL. Have now given up on all of them, and doing LCHF diet instead, will know next week if it has had any effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dannyw I am not sure that the research on tobacco is directly comparable with that on tobacco.

Doug
Well, neither of us would know as much of the on going research is as yet unpublished and in some cases contradictory. However, the trend in public opinion ( not scientific research ), and amongst the medical profession is that of growing suspicion and concern. 60 or so years ago, smoking wasn't deemed a health risk either.
Still, even this small ( unscientific ) poll here suggests quite a large number of members have concern over statins.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Well, neither of us would know as much of the on going research is as yet unpublished and in some cases contradictory. However, the trend in public opinion ( not scientific research ), and amongst the medical profession is that of growing suspicion and concern. 60 or so years ago, smoking wasn't deemed a health risk either.
Still, even this small ( unscientific ) poll here suggests quite a large number of members have concern over statins.

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

I was one of those who experienced a lot of leg muscle pain, very poor sleep patterns and brain fog. So, not an opinion, not a concern, hard fact, anecdotal maybe, but a fact. I stopped taking statins three years ago and although the leg muscle pain has reduced dramatically, there is still some.

I have no way of telling what the long term side effects are, especially as statins prevent the uptake of CoQ10, a fact that even Merck Pharmaceutical recognised in their 1990 patent application to include CoQ10 with the statin. Unfortunately there was no scientific evidence to show that ingested CoQ10 would make up for the CoQ10 missing although in some countries it was prescribed along with the statin.

The fact that statins affect different people in different ways shouldn't be too much of a surprise, it's certainly recognised by the pharmaceutical industry and the medical profession. I bet there's a few members of this forum who've heard a GP say something like "let's try some of these and if they don't work . . . . . . . ".

As for whether low cholesterol is what we want, cholesterol being vital for the normal functioning of the body, I'd be very cautious of somebody telling me what level it should be if they were paid by the pharmaceutical industry. British Heart Foundation research suggests that 5.4 is optimum. The graph is here on the forum somewhere.

BTW, do you think that scientific research is more valuable than straw polls? You should investigate how pharmaceutical companies weed out test subjects before clinical trials.

Reactions: 6 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It it is common on forums for the people who have problems to be vociferous in their pistings while those who have no problems and reduced cholesterol levels to say nothing. The number of people making adverse comments (not just on experience but on what they have read) versus the total population would be an interesting statistic. I have in my memory the issue of childhood vaccinations and autism. The "research" affected the decision making of many people but the research was not based on good data. In the research world we look for solid research that will give us answers or point us to further research.

Doug

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

I was one of those who experienced a lot of leg muscle pain, very poor sleep patterns and brain fog. So, not an opinion, not a concern, hard fact, anecdotal maybe, but a fact. I stopped taking statins three years ago and although the leg muscle pain has reduced dramatically, there is still some.

I have no way of telling what the long term side effects are, especially as statins prevent the uptake of CoQ10, a fact that even Merck Pharmaceutical recognised in their 1990 patent application to include CoQ10 with the statin. Unfortunately there was no scientific evidence to show that ingested CoQ10 would make up for the CoQ10 missing although in some countries it was prescribed along with the statin.

The fact that statins affect different people in different ways shouldn't be too much of a surprise, it's certainly recognised by the pharmaceutical industry and the medical profession. I bet there's a few members of this forum who've heard a GP say something like "let's try some of these and if they don't work . . . . . . . ".

As for whether low cholesterol is what we want, cholesterol being vital for the normal functioning of the body, I'd be very cautious of somebody telling me what level it should be if they were paid by the pharmaceutical industry. British Heart Foundation research suggests that 5.4 is optimum. The graph is here on the forum somewhere.

BTW, do you think that scientific research is more valuable than straw polls? You should investigate how pharmaceutical companies weed out test subjects before clinical trials.
I most certainly say that rigorous research is better than straw polls. I would not do research, be a research subject or spend time advising on diabetes and other research if I thought otherwise.

Doug

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And there's the problem....what solid research do you speak of ? For every one you highlight, there will be an opposing study.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
There are conflicting pieces of research but that is often to do with the type of research - small study versus a very large prospective study or, indeed, research that looks at the combination of many research studies.