Supplementing with Vitamins

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Was wondering if any of you take vitamins and minerals to assist and support your blood sugar control?

Thyroid patients are encouraged to but I am also chronically Vit D deficient. Have read so much and some say supplement and others say don't it can be dangerous.

My plan is probably to wait until I see the consultant before doing anything else but just wondered what you guys do.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Lina,
My better half tried vit D but stopped taking it because it upset her stomach.
I take the antioxidant lycopene, also fish oil omega 3 and selenium, but I don't think any help BG control.
I may try lipoic acid it is reckoned to help fasting b.g. come down, perhaps by 0.5!!

Some of the supplements I take because I had a stage 3 Gleason 7 carcinoma.
regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, sorry, don't take any, because I've never had a deficiency except in brains.
There nowt for that!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Vit D3 and a balancing amount of Vit K, potassium, chelated magnesium, and drink stock daily.
Also Krill oil (omega 3s)
I'm on a couple of meds (none for RH or T2)

I am, however, hopeless at remembering to take the dratted things. Probably remember 4x a week, which is hardly ideal!!!

I also ought to add Chromium, but never get round to buying it,
And I drink Sambucol effervescent tablets which gives Vit C and zinc in balanced quantities.

And I have thought about that lipoic acid thingy, for the same reason as @lindisfel

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take Vit D3 and a balancing amount of Vit K, potassium, chelated magnesium, and drink stock daily.
Also Krill oil (omega 3s)
I'm on a couple of meds (none for RH or T2)

I am, however, hopeless at remembering to take the dratted things. Probably remember 4x a week, which is hardly ideal!!!

I also ought to add Chromium, but never get round to buying it, and drink Sambucol effervescent tablets which give Vit C and zinc in balanced quantities.

And I have thought about that lipoic acid thingy, for the same reason as @lindisfel

One of the symptoms of RH is forgetfulness.
Is there anything you can take for that?

I know but have forgotten!;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the symptoms of RH is forgetfulness.
Is there anything you can take for that?

I know but have forgotten!;)

oddly enough, omega 3s are great fro the brain, and that covers both IQ and memory.

:D:D:D

I actally take them because of the increasing evidence that they are protective against alzheimers, and that alzheimers may be increased/affected by insulin and insulin resistance. As a T2, and a woman, I would be at particularly high risk of it - and having seen what it does to people, I am taking precautions NOW!!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For memory, I supplement my diet with smart phone reminders. ;)

Other than that, I've never taken any supplements, save for the odd foray with Echinacea if I'm warding off a cold, or a week or so on live yoghurt or kefir to perky up my gut flora.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
oddly enough, omega 3s are great fro the brain, and that covers both IQ and memory.

:D:D:D

I actally take them because of the increasing evidence that they are protective against alzheimers, and that alzheimers may be increased/affected by insulin and insulin resistance. As a T2, and a woman, I would be at particularly high risk of it - and having seen what it does to people, I am taking precautions NOW!!

I believe I eat enough of the fishy stuff to keep my brain ticking.
Though, it still let's me down, now and then!
Especially if I'm being selective!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thanks guys it's all interesting. I was reading about too much Vit d causing trouble in the body unless balanced with Vit k2. I am supposedly deficient and worried about osteoporosis but I am guessing the doc will check all the levels again when I see him.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I had my ferritin d3 and b12 and folate back yesterday. Doc says they are all in range so the supplements/new diet must be working. Just need to get copper magnesium and zinc checked now xx

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have been on a journey through supplements etc in the past 12 to 18 months. Alpha Lipoic Acid will drop your blood sugar as will pycnogenol (pine bark extract) and grape seed extract. I can personally attest to that, I gave myself some pretty crazy hypo's with these supplements, I can't tell you exact numbers as I didn't have a meter back then.

B vitamins, especially the activated forms like methylcobalamin, methylfolate, p5p, benfotiamine etc can and will stimulate your metabolism which is likely to be positive (if balanced) for people with Insulin Resistance etc, but seems to be detrimental to me. My blood glucose seems to be low most of the time and speeding up my metabolism plays havok with my system.

This is a very interesting topic though, there seems to be a lot of supplements/vitamins that lower blood sugar, I wonder if there are supplements that can raise or stabilize it.

lindisfel

Expert
I hope you don't mind me asking but is the effect of ala permanent or do you have to keep taking it?
thanks
Derek

I have been on a journey through supplements etc in the past 12 to 18 months. Alpha Lipoic Acid will drop your blood sugar as will pycnogenol (pine bark extract) and grape seed extract. I can personally attest to that, I gave myself some pretty crazy hypo's with these supplements, I can't tell you exact numbers as I didn't have a meter back then.

B vitamins, especially the activated forms like methylcobalamin, methylfolate, p5p, benfotiamine etc can and will stimulate your metabolism which is likely to be positive (if balanced) for people with Insulin Resistance etc, but seems to be detrimental to me. My blood glucose seems to be low most of the time and speeding up my metabolism plays havok with my system.

This is a very interesting topic though, there seems to be a lot of supplements/vitamins that lower blood sugar, I wonder if there are supplements that can raise or stabilize it.

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I hope you don't mind me asking but is the effect of ala permanent or do you have to keep taking it?
thanks
Derek

In terms of lowering blood sugar, I have found that ALA is good for around 4-6 hours. I find that pycnogenol is perhaps the most potent and lasts around 8-12 hours, closely followed by grape seed extract. All of those anti inflammatory type supplements seem to lower blood sugar (funny that). If I had issues with high blood sugar, I would look first at pine bark extract (pycnogenol) or grape seed extract as they seem to be more potent and last longer.

ALA has some other effects as well that may be undesirable to some. It's involved in chelation of heavy metals and can move metals into undesirable places. (http://drsircus.com/medicine/essentials-natural-chelation/)

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take V D3 in LIQUID form. The capsules used to make me nauseous too. I also put the drops on my Guacamole as the fat helps slow the absorption so my stomach is fine with it. Vit D is best taken and absorbed with a fatty meal.

Vitamin C raises my BG crazy. I only take D as everything else is a game.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- ooh, and the Vit D3 info I have also says to take Vit D early in the day (will help you to sleep that evening), and not to take it in the evening (will prevent good slee).

Thought that was useful info to pass on!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
- ooh, and the Vit D3 info I have also says to take Vit D early in the day (will help you to sleep that evening), and not to take it in the evening (will prevent good slee).

Thought that was useful info to pass on!
That might explain something. My Kinesiologist recommended I take Vit D3 after my evening meal. The first night I forgot and took it before bed. My heart was racing and I had the worst night sleep ever! I haven't taken it since, but now I know that I'll try it in the morning and see how it goes.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vit D should not be taken by anyone who has high serum calcium
CAROL

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I read a while ago that Chromium is supposed to be good for lowering bg levels. I take a supplement that includes a small amount and I can't say I've noticed any difference at that low level. There's another one called gymnema sylvester, which apparently blocks sugar absorption and therefore lowers your levels. You take it before each main meal, but not sure it it would help RHers?

I had a chat with my Endocrinologist about chromium. He didn't recommend it as he said no proper trials had been done and he would be more worried about toxicity. Would be interesting to see what your consultant thinks