Fasting

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been debating with myself about how to recommend fasting for those RH ers who can fast wether they do it for a day or longer or intermittently, your normal fasting overnight usually corrects your blood glucose levels to normal range levels.
If you are a non diabetic RH er, then if you can why not try what I have been doing while not at work and not being as active as I should be.
The reasons for fasting are obvious because the less insulin and glucose, glucagon and glycogen in our hormone infested blood the better. It also gives the body's organs a rest with benefits of being in ketosis most of the day.
If we are in ketosis for a long period of time, then, we should be feeling good and any symptoms will be less than the up and down when eating. And my main reason for this type of fasting is because I'm fed up to the back teeth (not many left!) of eating up to nine small meals a day!
The constant eating does my head in!
So having done the logical thing through my experience and with my consultant endocrinologist blessing, I am trying to eat a little bit more in only three meals a day. I've even promised my endocrinologist to up my carbs a little, not much though!
How, you're asking?
Well its quite simple!
I fast from 9pm which is a couple of hours before retiring. Sleep should look after my bloods!
Then I don't eat until 3pm. This is an eighteen hour fast in total, and after my first meal, I eat again at 6pm, then 9pm.
So from 9 meals to 3 meals.
I still eat very low carb and my meal choices are of much more variants and eat a little more.
It is still mostly protein, salad veg, eggs, small bits of fruit etc. My last meal is the Greek yoghurt with fruit and chocolate! (Yum!) My 3pm meal is mostly gammon and eggs etc. And the middle meal is usually meat with salad.

I still have copious cups of tea and lots of water. I also now for the first time in my life add salt to my protein meals.

As usual, I have done a lot of testing and as usual, the results so far have been encouraging. No hypers, no hypos!
Happy days!

I must stress that I do this only on days I'm not working.

It also costs a bit less to feed me and I've noticed that straight away.

Hoping that someone can join me doing this, as it would be interesting to see how they would do.

Any questions, worries and concerns, I will try and answer.

Best wishes,

Nosher.

Reactions: 7 people

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have to agree, the first time I started with keto dieting, before I realised there was anything fundamentally wrong with my blood sugar I was fasting for 18 hours in the same way. I was having a bulletproof coffee in the morning (coffee, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil) and after a week or two, I was forgetting to have lunch at 3 pm. It's a very fast way to get into ketosis.

My blood sugar has always been very stable when fasting, I think I'll have to start it up again.

Reactions: 3 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher,
Did you see Dr. Mosely said one should try to get our meals in a day as close as possible and then fast for the rest of the 24 hours.
regards
Derek

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher,
Did you see Dr. Mosely said one should try to get our meals in a day as close as possible and then fast for the rest of the 24 hours.
regards
Derek

Yes, I did see the programme, but I have been doing this for a few weeks before it aired. I'm always willing to ease my eating habits and anything that helps us must be a bonus.
It is very interesting on the same programme that a professor from the state's about meat was saying that he mainly eats white meat with veg and a low carb diet to be healthy.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to agree, the first time I started with keto dieting, before I realised there was anything fundamentally wrong with my blood sugar I was fasting for 18 hours in the same way. I was having a bulletproof coffee in the morning (coffee, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil) and after a week or two, I was forgetting to have lunch at 3 pm. It's a very fast way to get into ketosis.

My blood sugar has always been very stable when fasting, I think I'll have to start it up again.

My bloods just don't go anywhere when I fast as well, that's what had me thinking originally as well as what I was thinking and cooking all day about food, trying to plan meals which was balanced and kept me sane!

I do hope that you realise that being in or near ketosis is best for RH ers!

mahorela

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I do hope that you realise that being in or near ketosis is best for RH ers!

Yeah definitely, I have been in ketosis for some time now. I seem to go into it very easily and have a pretty wide threshold of carbs before I get kicked out of it.

Reactions: 2 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i went off the rails the whole of last week..seriously off...high carb derailment...:)

before that for a period of about 8 weeks I had been doing IF on & off . was having one LCHF, high calorie meal per day at around 9pm. Longest I went was for about 14 days stretch.

I added some brisk walking & resistance training to the mix about 10 days before my derailment. My FBG averaged 4.4.
a couple of hours after exercise, my lowest BS was 3.1 with no hypo symptoms whatsoever. This is normally when I would have my meal. it was fantastic!!

VLCKD + IF + Exercise is very potent and I would love to get back to that. :)

Derailment was non-food related & it's going to take me several weeks to get back those levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i went off the rails the whole of last week..seriously off...high carb derailment...:)

before that for a period of about 8 weeks I had been doing IF on & off . was having one LCHF, high calorie meal per day at around 9pm. Longest I went was for about 14 days stretch.

I added some brisk walking & resistance training to the mix about 10 days before my derailment. My FBG averaged 4.4.
a couple of hours after exercise, my lowest BS was 3.1 with no hypo symptoms whatsoever. This is normally when I would have my meal. it was fantastic!!

VLCKD + IF + Exercise is very potent and I would love to get back to that. :)

Derailment was non-food related & it's going to take me several weeks to get back those levels.
It really shouldn't take that long only a couple of days unless you are suffering from carb withdrawal. Just have enough carbs to the brink of being in normal blood glucose levels then reduce it over the next few days.
Your fasting bloods are very good and in normal range when you were last in ketosis.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really shouldn't take that long only a couple of days unless you are suffering from carb withdrawal. Just have enough carbs to the brink of being in normal blood glucose levels then reduce it over the next few days.
Your fasting bloods are very good and in normal range when you were last in ketosis.

Wow. You were absolutely right!! Started IF again. Thought I'd wait a week or two before checking my BS. Couldn't resist. At around 5pm it was 4.9. Had my LCHF meal at 8pm.
On the downside, my no longer NAFLD ridden liver efficiently converted the excess sugars and I put on a ton of weight.
Going to do IF for a week before adding exercise back into the regime.
Cheers.

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
i had to fast for surgery but i then had a hypo on the operating table
my doc is now going to admit me for a 72hr fast to rule out a tumour on my pancreas which is worrying

lindisfel

Expert
my doc is now going to admit me for a 72hr fast to rule out a tumour on my pancreas which is worrying

Hi Tooner,
I know its easy to say, but don't worry, most of these insulin producing tumours are benign. That doesn't mean they won't produce a continuous output of insulin.

Remove the tumour and you may well be perfectly normal again.

I have a similar 30mm adenoma on my right adrenal gland and it produces 20X the normal output of the hormone aldosterone.
I could have it removed but at 76 the surgery is problematical.
Excessive aldosterone has likely caused my T2D, I have Conn's syndrome which causes high bp due to sodium retention and potassium loss.

Incidentally, have you ever been exposed to polychlorinated biphenols or dioxins that are produced when pcbs burn?

Best wishes
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tooner9

I agree with @lindisfel
I have a tumour in the pituitry gland. Benign. Been there 30 years. Operation would be tricky, so they medicate to limit the hormone production.

Obviously a different situation from yours, but I mention as an example where it isn't a worry, just a fact of life. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It is a concern, but as the others have said it can be medicated.

The 72 hours fasting is too eliminate such things as tumours and insulinoma.
If you hypo like you did, then they will have course to do other tests.
If you don't hypo, then it's not anything else but a form of hypoglycaemia.
Which one I can't diagnose!

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
lindisfel
hi i aint been exposed to polychlorinated biphenols or dioxins what ever they are

lindisfel

Expert
lindisfel
hi i aint been exposed to polychlorinated biphenols or dioxins what ever they are
These pollutants that were in heavy electrical equipment prior c.1990 are considered to be a source of tumours. They have got into the food chain and are taking up in body fat.
regards
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It is similar to the link I read which was a university paper about nutrition. And also similar to the 5:2 fasting diet and intermittent fasting. As well as the piece on Trust me! I'm finding it very beneficial, even through this particular time as I really can't face as much food (not that I eat a lot anyway) as I have been doing.
It was my (our) endo, that suggested it rather than fasting for a whole day or 36 hours.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have had a couple of intermittent fasting days. And the fascinating thing is I'm struggling to eat anything after my first meal of the day. I should be eating a lot more but I've haven't got any appetite at all so just picking bite size low carb stuff or a small piece of fruit, I don't even fancy my supper of yoghurt and chocolate!
Go figure!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Have had a couple of intermittent fasting days. And the fascinating thing is I'm struggling to eat anything after my first meal of the day. I should be eating a lot more but I've haven't got any appetite at all so just picking bite size low carb stuff or a small piece of fruit, I don't even fancy my supper of yoghurt and chocolate!
Go figure!
Hi,nosher8355, could you perhaps up your exercise, i do 10 miles am and pm on my exercise bike,plus weight lifting in moderation.clive