Oranges.....Good or Bad ?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have taken to eating oranges again, after not eating them for years, after I had gout and doctor advised giving them a miss......are oranges good or bad for someone with type 2, controlled with metformin ?.........Del.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Oranges are tropical fruits which are very high in sugar, the only way to see if you are tolerating them is to test your bs before and after eating one which is what I myself am about to do. I can't resist them & they are at their best just now. Beware: oranges bananas, pineapple, grapes magoes, peaches necterines plums etc

Reactions: 2 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't currentley test myself........what is the best way to do that ?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I don't currentley test myself........what is the best way to do that ?
Well, first you will need a meter. The most popular one that people here use seems to be the SD Codefree which is available from Home Health online, delivery is free and arrives within a few days. For around £12.99 you get a meter, about five test strips and lancets, (so best to also order strips £6.99 and lancets £5 lancets last ages as you can multiuse. ) all three items come in a zipped case and homehealth is the cheapest retailer. When you test you are aiming to keep your bs between 4.5 & 8.5
You will learn which foods affect your levels then you can adjust your diet accordingly

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k, Thanks for that, I have never self tested.......I did mention it to diabetic nurse once, but she seemed to brush it off, as though I didn't need to do it very often, and said that was why I went to see her.........but I only go once a year.......when I was in hospital they tested 3 times a day........Del.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not testing is a myth because the health service originally from government to save money.
T2 Diabetes is mainly foods that send your blood glucose levels high, above normal. A lot of the basic things we eat causes this. Mainly carbohydrates and sugars.
How can you see which foods do this without testing?

Reduce your carbs and sugars.
Reduce your plate size.
Increase your exercise.

Welcome to the forum.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh yeah oranges!

Well I do have small pieces through the day, but spread out so that the fructose (another sugar!) doesn't spike me.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that, Time to invest in a meter I think.........some days I feel awful...........maybe it's time to start checking........Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k, Have now got an Accu-Chek meter...........plan is to self test, then eat an orange.........question is, how long after eating orange should I re-test ?..........Del.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
O.k, Have now got an Accu-Chek meter...........plan is to self test, then eat an orange.........question is, how long after eating orange should I re-test ?..........Del.
Mate find a different diabetic nurse!! That's some bad advice you have been given in my opinion. I would test immediately before eating the Orange and then test one hour and two hours after to see the impact. Post your results and ask for some feedback.Might be a good idea to test each morning before eating or drinking (Fasting) over the next week and post them in the forum and ask for some feedback on them as well. Cheers

Reactions: 10 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that........gonna do it this afternoon, will post before and after results.........Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This can't be right........just tested, meter reading says 23.4 mm ol/L......what does this mean please ?

willowbunny

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
That's a very high reading.

The chart will help you to estimate the quality of your blood sugar control.
And it does show the usual conversions.

Some people here may be interested if you are on any medication, which dosage and which way you try to control your BS

Attachments

• 50shades.png
    50shades.png
    886.9 KB · Views: 16,385
Reactions: 6 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that.......I am on 500mg Metformin.......once a day.....and eat what I THOUGHT was a fairly healthy diet.......I may have to drastically review this......Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank You.......So really want to be looking at under 8.5 mmol/L.......Del.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.k.......have now tested again, didn't have the orange.......20.5......if it stays this high should I see diabetic nurse ?.......and is it worth asking for strips on prescription ?.......from what I am seeing, not much chance of that..........Del.

Last edited by a moderator:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you feel that you need to see the DN then make an appointment but be prepared to be told to up the meds and stop testing because you are worrying yourself ! What ever you decide. I would suggest cutting down your carbs and eat normal fat foods ,lots of veg ,meat ,cheese Try not to worry too much lots of us have been where you are now and have lowered our BGs and eat well !
CAROL

Reactions: 7 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What exactly is your diet?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
O.k.......have now tested again, didn't have the orange.......20.5......if it stays this high should I see diabetic nurse ?.......and is it worth asking for strips on prescription ?.......from what I am seeing, not much chance of that..........Del.
Congratulations DEL 80. Acquiring the meter and measuring your BG is a huge step in taking control of your diabetes. I am not a professional and there is a lot we don't know about your circumstances eg: What you are eating? Other medical issues, Weight, ability to exercise, original levels at diagnosis etc.

There is a great post they give to newbies on this site (I don't know how to access it I am sure someone on here can get it to you or if you look at some newbies posts you may find it which will take you thru the basics)

In the very short term I would be removing any sugar from my diet (Soft Drinks, Sugar in Tea Biscuits cake sweet etc) and avoiding or reducing the white carbs - rice, pasta, bread , potato. I would try and walk or exercise after each meal to help the body burn some of those sugars(within your capabilities). This is waht has worked for me but if those levels persist you should see your GP

Reactions: 8 people