I love my Doctor!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in April 2015 at 7.6 and was put onto Metformin. I was very depressed and angry and was determined to do something about it.

I started following the standard NHS guidelines re diet and saw no difference in my BG levels. I then started following a low GI diet and saw no difference either. I then found the LCHF diet and with all the amazing help and advice from you lovely people, have managed to reduce my BG to 5.5 in July and am now down to 5.0.

I went to my Doctor today to talk about coming off the Metformin. (I used loads of info gleaned from this forum and blinded him with science!) He called me his star patient and totally supported my decision. He did add a proviso in that I'll have another HbA1c test in four months to check on my progress. He also understands my need to test my reaction to new/different foods (although not enough to put the strips on prescription!). I'm determined to stay off the meds, so foresee fingers remaining pincushions for some time!

All in all, I'm a happy bunny today so have had some kippers for lunch to celebrate - boy, am I a cheap date?!

I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who have helped, either directly or indirectly. I've not posted a great deal, but am an avid reader!

I'm going to stick with the LCHF way of life as it clearly suits me. Incidentally, it's also got rid of my foot neuropathy as well - result!

Thanks again and wish you nothing but good stuff!

Reactions: 17 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent stuff.Great results and very inspiring.Always good to hear stories such as yours.Helps to remind me I am not in this on my own.

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well done keep it up :D:D

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, guys. It can be very daunting and lonely, can't it? I can't stress how much this and the Low Carb Forum have helped me.

Big hugs all round!

S

Shar67

Well done you, and eating kippers, I'm banned from eating them because of the smell, only get the odd one at bbq al fresco

Reactions: 4 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you, and eating kippers, I'm banned from eating them because of the smell, only get the odd one at bbq al fresco

Er, yes, might be regretting them now - the flat is a tad whiffy! Shame the bedroom is right by the kitchen...

(They were yummy though!)

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on my post in February!

My last HbA1c was 5.0 and my GP said I could stop the Metformin and to go back for another test in three months. He'd then make the call as to whether I could come off them permanently. He warned me that it would probably go up and not to get too upset if it did.

Well, I went for the test last week and have my diabetic review with the Nurse booked in for Thursday, but I couldn't wait for the results, so rang the surgery today. OMG - I'm at 4.6!! I can't wait to tell the Nurse on Thursday how I managed it (LCHF) - she wasn't keen on me doing it at all!

I'm doing little happy dances all over the place - I feel like a teenager! :D:):D:)

I'm also on fast day 1 of the 5:2 fast and feeling really positive that it will give me another boost.

I hope this gives some support to people at the beginning of their diagnosis and/or LCHF journey when everything is confusing and overwhelming. It really does work.

Thanks again everyone - this is a fabulous forum. Hugs all round! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Fantastic results. Wonder what the dreaded nurse will say now!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type