Dr Mosley and the diet that reverses type 2 diabetes.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The book must give the NHS morticians something to think about ,If diabetics are lowering there BG losing weight and getting healthy by following the Mosely,s LowCarb diet plan ,what have got to offer ,

Rdgfootyfan

Just finishing the 8 weeks on this plan on Saturday. Weight down 26 pounds, fasting BG from 10.9 to under 6 most days with the occasional 6. Never managed to get it under 7 previously. BP down. Lost 9 inches from waist, and one (nearly two) dress sizes. BMI down from 40.9 to 36.2. Feel great, more energy, thinking more clearly. It works for me, so I'm happy.
Lynne, has the diet provided enough high fibre foods? I want to start this diet, but I concerned that constipation might set in if there is not enough fibre. I don't have Diabetes2, but do have raised BP and need to reduce my weight.
I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

captainlynne

Lynne, has the diet provided enough high fibre foods? I want to start this diet, but I concerned that constipation might set in if there is not enough fibre. I don't have Diabetes2, but do have raised BP and need to reduce my weight.
Hi. For me it has. Plenty of vegetables (mainly green leafy ones) and salad, some fruit - mainly berries. I've not found constipation to be a problem, in fact my insides seem to have settled down since I cut out the carbs (especially bread). I've not heard of anyone on the Facebook group for this complaining of constipation either. Drink plenty of water too. My BP has dropped, hopefully they'll reduce or remove the meds soon. I'd say to try it and see what happens.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Does not seem to be a problem. Things are working OK

I'm on day 5 and no problem . If I was you I would cut down on the grains though and go lower carb . For me bread , pasta , rice and pots are the devil.

Muddles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bossy people.
I put on quite a bit of weight when I gave up smoking, about 3 stone. I did the Harcombe Diet which is very good and the weight did come off easily. I started smoking some time later and then gave up again and put the weight back on, but not quite so much.

Getting back to the point of this thread, the Harcombe Diet was very interesting regards people with T2 Diabetes. On the Harcombe Diet forum, there were a number of diabetics, men and women, and after going on the diet were no longer diabetic, or were in remission.

The Harcombe Diet is a low carb and low sugar diet, but it's a high fat diet. The weight fell off on a diet of fatty meats, bacon, cheese and cream. Basically it's a non processed food diet.

Here's the link to the forum if anyone's interested http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/forum.php

I haven't looked at Dr Mosely's diet but it's probably very similar if not the same. Zoe Harcombe doesn't claim her diet cures Diabetes but it does help control it.

Reactions: 3 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Dr Mosely's diet isn't high in fat . To be honest it's what I ate in Greece on holiday .

Reactions: 2 people

Rdgfootyfan

Thank you for the feedback
Just finishing the 8 weeks on this plan on Saturday. Weight down 26 pounds, fasting BG from 10.9 to under 6 most days with the occasional 6. Never managed to get it under 7 previously. BP down. Lost 9 inches from waist, and one (nearly two) dress sizes. BMI down from 40.9 to 36.2. Feel great, more energy, thinking more clearly. It works for me, so I'm happy.

Rdgfootyfan

Hi. For me it has. Plenty of vegetables (mainly green leafy ones) and salad, some fruit - mainly berries. I've not found constipation to be a problem, in fact my insides seem to have settled down since I cut out the carbs (especially bread). I've not heard of anyone on the Facebook group for this complaining of constipation either. Drink plenty of water too. My BP has dropped, hopefully they'll reduce or remove the meds soon. I'd say to try it and see what happens.
Thanks, again, for your feedback.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

I've done it for 3 weeks and boy was I constipated!!!! I usually go every day but had to resort to ducalax on Thursday !!! On reflection I think I need to drink more to be honest .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Reactions: 3 people

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
But try being really lean (and with a bmi of 19, 21 - that is really lean!) on 90% carbs - wo ho! Impossible, I would say.

After I did the Newcastle Diet with real food for two months I had to carry a cushion around so I could sit on hard chairs comfortably - and I had a bmi at that point of 22. And I cannot imagine getting even leaner and then sustaining that indefinitely! I couldn't, and I didn't. And I did not become non-diabetic, but in the prediabetic range. The same range I am in now low-carbing - but with a bmi of 24 (ish). And look - no cushion! Yay!

Telling folk to lose a lot of weight and get really lean, and then STAY really lean for the rest of their lives is easier said than done! If I was like Samantha in 'Bewitched' I would wiggle my nose and be skinny and non-diabetic - now that I would like! But going hungry to stay lean for.... ever! That is no nose wiggle....
On the other hand, imagine you're a type 2 that followed the standard NHS advice, your type 2 gets progressively worse, you get diabetes complications, then are on insulin. THEN you find out there was a 70% chance you could have avoided all that just by changing your diet.
I've done it for 3 weeks and boy was I constipated!!!! I usually go every day but had to resort to ducalax on Thursday !!! On reflection I think I need to drink more to be honest .

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I've been on the Mosley diet for over 4 weeks. No problems, except for constipation. My blood sugar readings after meals have dropped from an average of 7.0 to 5.4. My readings at times away from meal times are down from 6.5 to 5.0. As soon as I have a slice of bread, my readings increase to 6.8 (consistently). This happens on a Sunday morning when I have 2 eggs & buttery toast for breakfast, as a break from the diet. But, my blood sugar levels soon drop down to my new, lower levels.
I should add that my diabetes has been controlled by diet & heavy exercise for the past 8 years.
My weight has reduced from 13 stone 13 pounds to 12 stone 9 pounds. I find the diet delicious, although some of the servings are quite small. But, some are surprisingly large !
As far as I am concerned, this diet is marvelous & easy to follow. My wife has been a very positive help in following this diet & has helped me considerably.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Notwithstanding . It's funny but my Friday freedom teas keep me going too. ( Had a curry last night as an experiment ). I'm adding the days Friday's on at the end so it's 8 weeks plus how many extra Friday's I have freedom .

I'm finding it pretty easy too . Loads of veg

Rdgfootyfan

I've been on the Mosley diet for over 4 weeks. No problems, except for constipation. My blood sugar readings after meals have dropped from an average of 7.0 to 5.4. My readings at times away from meal times are down from 6.5 to 5.0. As soon as I have a slice of bread, my readings increase to 6.8 (consistently). This happens on a Sunday morning when I have 2 eggs & buttery toast for breakfast, as a break from the diet. But, my blood sugar levels soon drop down to my new, lower levels.
I should add that my diabetes has been controlled by diet & heavy exercise for the past 8 years.
My weight has reduced from 13 stone 13 pounds to 12 stone 9 pounds. I find the diet delicious, although some of the servings are quite small. But, some are surprisingly large !
As far as I am concerned, this diet is marvelous & easy to follow. My wife has been a very positive help in following this diet & has helped me considerably.
How did you 'deal' with the constipation - which is my main worry before embarking on this diet. Hubby had bowel cancel recently, so I'm probably very concerned about the high fibre thing.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I asked Dr Mosley and he said increase fibre and fluids . I'm not going to increase fibre !!

I have had to resort to laxatives twice in 3 weeks.

I'm now taking aloe Vera colon cleanse so hope that does the trick in a gentler way . Before I started this food regime I went every morning .

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Keep in mind you are eating a lot less food during the 8 weeks, so you may not need to go every day. Just because you are not going every day, doesn't mean you are constipated. If there is no discomfort or pain, you are likely not constipated.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
NoCarbs4Me believe me I was constipated. Aloe Vera worked nicely though .