1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dr Mosley and the diet that reverses type 2 diabetes.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Duncan57, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Rdgfootyfan

Rdgfootyfan · Member

Thank you for your feedback.

2. Southbeds

Southbeds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The book must give the NHS morticians something to think about ,If diabetics are lowering there BG losing weight and getting healthy by following the Mosely,s LowCarb diet plan ,what have got to offer ,

3. Rdgfootyfan

Rdgfootyfan · Member

Lynne, has the diet provided enough high fibre foods? I want to start this diet, but I concerned that constipation might set in if there is not enough fibre. I don't have Diabetes2, but do have raised BP and need to reduce my weight.
    I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

4. captainlynne

captainlynne · Well-Known Member

Hi. For me it has. Plenty of vegetables (mainly green leafy ones) and salad, some fruit - mainly berries. I've not found constipation to be a problem, in fact my insides seem to have settled down since I cut out the carbs (especially bread). I've not heard of anyone on the Facebook group for this complaining of constipation either. Drink plenty of water too. My BP has dropped, hopefully they'll reduce or remove the meds soon. I'd say to try it and see what happens.

5. Jamrox

Jamrox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm on day 5 and no problem . If I was you I would cut down on the grains though and go lower carb . For me bread , pasta , rice and pots are the devil.

6. Muddles

Muddles Prediabetes · Member

I put on quite a bit of weight when I gave up smoking, about 3 stone. I did the Harcombe Diet which is very good and the weight did come off easily. I started smoking some time later and then gave up again and put the weight back on, but not quite so much.

Getting back to the point of this thread, the Harcombe Diet was very interesting regards people with T2 Diabetes. On the Harcombe Diet forum, there were a number of diabetics, men and women, and after going on the diet were no longer diabetic, or were in remission.

The Harcombe Diet is a low carb and low sugar diet, but it's a high fat diet. The weight fell off on a diet of fatty meats, bacon, cheese and cream. Basically it's a non processed food diet.

Here's the link to the forum if anyone's interested http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/forum.php

I haven't looked at Dr Mosely's diet but it's probably very similar if not the same. Zoe Harcombe doesn't claim her diet cures Diabetes but it does help control it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jamrox

Dr Mosely's diet isn't high in fat . To be honest it's what I ate in Greece on holiday .

• Like Like x 2
  8. runner2009

runner2009 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

9. Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Roytaylorjasonfunglover Family member · Well-Known Member

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2016/02/type2diabetesama/

Roy Taylor the professor responsible for the research that inspired Michael Mosley to write this book, is holding an q and a this friday on reddit about diabetes. So if interested make an account and ask him everything you are wondering about and spread the word!

10. Rdgfootyfan

Rdgfootyfan · Member

Thank you for the feedback

11. Rdgfootyfan

Rdgfootyfan · Member

Thanks, again, for your feedback.

12. Jamrox

I've done it for 3 weeks and boy was I constipated!!!! I usually go every day but had to resort to ducalax on Thursday !!! On reflection I think I need to drink more to be honest .

13. Jamrox

I only caught the last 20 minutes but it was good .

• Like Like x 3
  14. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding Type 2 · Active Member

15. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding Type 2 · Active Member

I've been on the Mosley diet for over 4 weeks. No problems, except for constipation. My blood sugar readings after meals have dropped from an average of 7.0 to 5.4. My readings at times away from meal times are down from 6.5 to 5.0. As soon as I have a slice of bread, my readings increase to 6.8 (consistently). This happens on a Sunday morning when I have 2 eggs & buttery toast for breakfast, as a break from the diet. But, my blood sugar levels soon drop down to my new, lower levels.
    I should add that my diabetes has been controlled by diet & heavy exercise for the past 8 years.
    My weight has reduced from 13 stone 13 pounds to 12 stone 9 pounds. I find the diet delicious, although some of the servings are quite small. But, some are surprisingly large !
    As far as I am concerned, this diet is marvelous & easy to follow. My wife has been a very positive help in following this diet & has helped me considerably.

16. Jamrox

@Notwithstanding . It's funny but my Friday freedom teas keep me going too. ( Had a curry last night as an experiment ). I'm adding the days Friday's on at the end so it's 8 weeks plus how many extra Friday's I have freedom .

I'm finding it pretty easy too . Loads of veg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rdgfootyfan

Rdgfootyfan · Member

How did you 'deal' with the constipation - which is my main worry before embarking on this diet. Hubby had bowel cancel recently, so I'm probably very concerned about the high fibre thing.

18. Jamrox

I asked Dr Mosley and he said increase fibre and fluids . I'm not going to increase fibre !!

I have had to resort to laxatives twice in 3 weeks.

I'm now taking aloe Vera colon cleanse so hope that does the trick in a gentler way . Before I started this food regime I went every morning .

19. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Keep in mind you are eating a lot less food during the 8 weeks, so you may not need to go every day. Just because you are not going every day, doesn't mean you are constipated. If there is no discomfort or pain, you are likely not constipated.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jamrox

NoCarbs4Me believe me I was constipated. Aloe Vera worked nicely though .

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook