Just Found this about Grapefruit & Water Type 2 Diabetics

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this link about grapefruit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

Its interesting findings are worth publishing ( IMHO)

There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit.

I am not doing any Metformin but lots of exercise & good diet. I am going to add this to my diet. For folks who are taking drugs like statins, this, I believe may be off limits. So check with your doctor before starting to add grapefruit

OTOH, I am confident that none of us need to checkup about consuming water though

http://time.com/4011532/water-weight-loss/

So here I am raising my glass of water to better health to us all!

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

If I remember correctly, grapefruit isn't recommended for people on certain types of Statins. I know I can't have grapefruit since going on Statins..

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I remember correctly, grapefruit isn't recommended for people on certain types of Statins. I know I can't have grapefruit since going on Statins..

@paula.nolan42

I did mention this "For folks who are taking drugs like statins, this, I believe may be off limits. So check with your doctor before starting to add grapefruit"

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That test proves.....absolutely nothing....aside from apple juice having more sugar in it than half of a grapefruit.

Let's break down the numbers: in the best case, 1.6kg was lost vs .3kb in the placebo.

half of a grapefruit has about 13g of carbs vs about 24g in 7oz of apple juice. That's a difference of 11g of carbs between the two or 44 calories.

The subjects consumed these 3 times a day which means the placebo group was consuming about 132 calories more each day(44calorie difference x 3).

The test was performed over 12 weeks (84 days). 132x84=11,088 calorie difference.
A pound of fat contains about 3500 calories
11,088/3500=3.168lbs or about 1.44kg

Again...the weight loss observed between the two groups was 1.3kg

Therefore, this study was essentially a waste of everyone's time.

Reactions: 6 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That test proves.....absolutely nothing....aside from apple juice having more sugar in it than half of a grapefruit.

Let's break down the numbers: in the best case, 1.6kg was lost vs .3kb in the placebo.

half of a grapefruit has about 13g of carbs vs about 24g in 7oz of apple juice. That's a difference of 11g of carbs between the two or 44 calories.

The subjects consumed these 3 times a day which means the placebo group was consuming about 132 calories more each day(44calorie difference x 3).

The test was performed over 12 weeks (84 days). 132x84=11,088 calorie difference.
A pound of fat contains about 3500 calories
11,088/3500=3.168lbs or about 1.44kg

Again...the weight loss observed between the two groups was 1.3kg

Therefore, this study was essentially a waste of everyone's time.

@TorqPenderloin

Hey don't shoot me I am only the messenger here. Aside from your points of view (and your assumptions, which may or may not be correct) "There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit."

Better 2 hour post-glucose insulin levels is an improvement. I doubt any one would disagree that lower glucose levels wouldn't be applauded.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin

Hey don't shoot me I am only the messenger here. Aside from your points of view (and your assumptions, which may or may not be correct) "There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit."

Better 2 hour post-glucose insulin levels is an improvement. I doubt any one would disagree that lower glucose levels wouldn't be applauded.
I realize you're only sharing information. I'm only sharing my observations based on what little information that abstract actually includes. Of course, it's none of my business whether or not someone eats grapefruit, but the abstract in discussion should certainly not be the reason that someone does or doesn't.

Again, the reduction in 2-hr post-prandial levels are easily explained by the difference in carbohydrates consumed. Furthermore, they considered a 1.3kg difference in weight loss over 12 weeks to also be "significant," which I find a bit humorous. I'd be curious to know how they quantify a "significant reduction" in 2-hr levels.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realize you're only sharing information. I'm only sharing my observations based on what little information that abstract actually includes. Of course, it's none of my business whether or not someone eats grapefruit, but the abstract in discussion should certainly not be the reason that someone does or doesn't.

Again, the reduction in 2-hr post-prandial levels are easily explained by the difference in carbohydrates consumed. Furthermore, they considered a 1.3kg difference in weight loss over 12 weeks to also be "significant," which I find a bit humorous. I'd be curious to know how they quantify a "significant reduction" in 2-hr levels.

@TorqPenderloin

I wouldn't pretend to know everything about diabetes or the help one can find, yet seeing something like this https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100825174110.htm suggests that Grapefruit could have a place in some folks diets.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't get grapefruit where I am at present, unless its canned, and usually in syrup, so I'll be passing on this one, for sure.

I might be willing to wager that at least a margin of the difference is likely to be that consuming the grapefruit is almost akin to having a starter, so the subject is triggering their food consumption to full process earlier on. They also have more in their stomachs to digest, either of which would be likely to find me "full up" sooner than with no "starter". There may also be some impact of subjects eating a slightly bitter "starter", then moving onto their meal. Depending on time elapsed between the grapefruit and the meal, early mouth fools of the meal could taste tainted, resulting in less enjoyment, therefor less consumed.

There are just so many variables that could be occurring to suggest grapefruit is the new Metformin.

I won't be trying this when I get back to UK either, although I quite like grapefruit.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this link about grapefruit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

Its interesting findings are worth publishing ( IMHO)

There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit.

I am not doing any Metformin but lots of exercise & good diet. I am going to add this to my diet. For folks who are taking drugs like statins, this, I believe may be off limits. So check with your doctor before starting to add grapefruit

OTOH, I am confident that none of us need to checkup about consuming water though

http://time.com/4011532/water-weight-loss/

So here I am raising my glass of water to better health to us all!
Apparently around 80 pints of chlorinated water a day is considered to be harmful. This is probably urban myth. Some mineral waters are also deemed to be harmful if drunk to excess, but not sure what they consider excess. It depends on the location of the source of the water. Moderation......

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently around 80 pints of chlorinated water a day is considered to be harmful. This is probably urban myth. Some mineral waters are also deemed to be harmful if drunk to excess, but not sure what they consider excess. It depends on the location of the source of the water. Moderation......

@Oldvatr

So please help me understand what you might be saying? Where did I mention drinking 80 pints of water was a sensible idea?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/...es-after-water-drinking-contest/#.VtXtU-bDE8I

In fact the woman involved, left behind 3 children, and passed away from water intoxication.

Dark Horse

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22304836 - another study involving grapefruit:-

"This study suggests that consumption of grapefruit daily for 6 weeks does not significantly decrease body weight, lipids, or blood pressure as compared with the control condition. However, the improvements in blood pressure and lipids demonstrated in the intervention group suggest that grapefruit should be further evaluated in the context of obesity and cardiovascular disease prevention."

Dark Horse

"Significant" here means "statistically significant" rather than "clinically significant". The authors are saying that there is a fairly small probability that the difference between the groups is due to chance. They are not saying that there is a large weight loss.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Significant" here means "statistically significant" rather than "clinically significant". The authors are saying that there is a fairly small probability that the difference between the groups is due to chance. They are not saying that there is a large weight loss.
I understand that, but it still goes back to my point that I'd be curious to know exactly what those numbers are as they were not available in the abstract.

While they may be statistically significant, that doesn't mean they can't be easily explained just as the weight loss figured can be explained (or at least based on what information is available).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr

So please help me understand what you might be saying? Where did I mention drinking 80 pints of water was a sensible idea?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/...es-after-water-drinking-contest/#.VtXtU-bDE8I

In fact the woman involved, left behind 3 children, and passed away from water intoxication.
I was just responfing to your last line
<<OTOH, I am confident that none of us need to checkup about consuming water though>>
i was merely pointing out that this advice of yours is not to be taken unlimited.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was advised not to consume grapefruit since it is contraindicated with two of my stroke / heart meds.

i bring the following report from the NHS website
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx

@Oldvatr

This will be the third that I've mentioned grapefruit and statins on this particular blog and that they shouldn't be consumed together. See below for my last mentioning..

paula.nolan42 said:
@paula.nolan42

I did mention this "For folks who are taking drugs like statins, this, I believe may be off limits. So check with your doctor before starting to add grapefruit"

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr

This will be the third that I've mentioned grapefruit and statins on this particular blog and that they shouldn't be consumed together. See below for my last mentioning..

paula.nolan42 said:
@paula.nolan42

But it is more than the diabetic drugs. There is something like 10 or so that it can be dangerous to eat grapefruit with. And I say dangerous, not a funny tummy or so on. I mean downright dangerous. it is therefore important when you give out info saying that such and such is good that you also be more specific about any known contraindications. As the OP it is your responsibility to do this or accept it when others point these out. These I found with just one google search. There are many more entries than the ones I include here.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx
http://www.drugs.com/article/grapefruit-drug-interactions.html
http://www.medicinenet.com/grapefruit_juice_and_medication_interactions/views.htm

P

paula.nolan42

@Living-by-the-beach and I have already stated that I was agreeing with you with regard to the grapefruit & statins, I was commenting from my own experience to back up what you had said. I am not arguing with you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grapefruit contain natural ‘quinine’ which is used to treat malaria. Which sadly makes it not an option for me.