Low carb flax bread.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rock and roll! I've just taken a perfect loaf out of the oven! I turned up the heat a bit to gas mark 4.5 and left it in for 40 mins. Hey presto - my middle didn't fall out!

Feeling v pleased with myself (especially as it doesn't do a thing to my glucose levels!). Thanks again @RobPL for the recipe. :)

result! :)

RobPL

Rock and roll! I've just taken a perfect loaf out of the oven! I turned up the heat a bit to gas mark 4.5 and left it in for 40 mins. Hey presto - my middle didn't fall out!

Feeling v pleased with myself (especially as it doesn't do a thing to my glucose levels!). Thanks again @RobPL for the recipe. :)
Oh so pleased.
Does it taste nice?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still too hot to eat, but it smells amazing! Oh, I forgot to say - I left out the herbs this time. I might have a cheeky slice with dinner tonight. Will let you know!

Reactions: 2 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, reporting back on the latest loaf: truly awesome toasted with butter and Marmite! Am still full from breakfast and only a 0.4 glucose raise - declared a successful experiment! :-D

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 1.5 "long" slices for breakfast (hubby wanted half a slice to try) and couldn't face any lunch! Will slice and freeze the rest. I need to get back to H&B to stock up on milled flax seeds - they've got a buy one get one half price offer on at the mo!

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is amazing, just what I have been looking for, as my Lidl has been running out of hp rolls. @RobPL, what is the weight of the 2 cups flax seeds? I mill my own, so would like to have an indication in advance.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have a pack of that stuff in my cupboard which I opened over 3 months ago, and it's still in perfect condition.

The 45 day thing is probably an old wives tale, she does get around a lot.

I'm the same too. Just reseal and put back in cupboard. I take out 12 tablespoons at a time in to s sealed unit to put 2 tablespoons a day with our cereal. Never had it go off in the cupboard. Mind you The packet dosn't last very long in our home...

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is amazing, just what I have been looking for, as my Lidl has been running out of hp rolls. @RobPL, what is the weight of the 2 cups flax seeds? I mill my own, so would like to have an indication in advance.

I used an online converter and 2 cups came out at 224g.

I actually prefer this to the Lidl rolls - it's honestly that good! I did leave out the herbs on my second go at this and much prefer it. I also cooked it for 40 mins and this was better than the first attempt for my tin which is 23cm x 13cm x 7cm.

Happy baking - let us know how you get on!

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The loaf in in the oven now, without herbs, and without the sweetener. The dough is really dark and thick, almost like rye sourdough. The Lidl rolls have been practical, but they are quite processed, so I expect that this bread suits me more, too ;) I cannot wait to try this one with butter and home made pate!!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And Marmite... or Philadelphia... toasted... not toasted. There is no wrong way to eat this! Enjoy! :)

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It worked out very well, and tasted delicious with butter and pate. The next time I would use some baking parchment, as the bread stuck to my non-stick backing form ;)

Thanks again for the recipe.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It worked out very well, and tasted delicious with butter and pate. The next time I would use some baking parchment, as the bread stuck to my non-stick backing form ;)

Thanks again for the recipe.

Last time I put a strip of parchment across the width of the tin and this allowed me to lift it out when it was cooked.

I'm glad it worked out for you - it also freezes really well!

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read through this thread and the bread sounds amazing. I'm going to track down some milled flaxseed and give it a go.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read through this thread and the bread sounds amazing. I'm going to track down some milled flaxseed and give it a go.

It's the last day of Holland & Barrett's buy one get one half price sale today, if that helps. Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just made this. It's not bad and less than 10 carbs for the whole loaf.
It's not very high so I'm going to try it next with a smaller but taller tin.
Would anyone like the recipe?
25aa17d9912fd03b4c7f0027fb419037.jpg
I would like the recipe please :)