This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be.

I tried low calorie, I cut fat, counted the calories, and did it that way. Purely personal, but I had read a lot on here that sometimes LCHF reduces BG, but still can have higher fasting levels, and they're the last to drop.
I also subscribed to the idea that your body goes into 'repair' mode during fasting, so wanted to make sure my pancreas and liver were getting exercised, and didn't get overlooked in the process.
I had a meter, so watched the results of what I ate daily.

I must admit, it suited me, and it did seem to work for me.

Another thing I noticed, if I do drop the carbs, my fasting goes up.
I suspect I have a liver dump in the morning, and if I LC, it catches me out, if I don't LC, my pancreas is already 'turned on', and waiting as it were.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Day 39 and slippage has occurred . Had bloods done this morning and having fried fish and a couple of chips for tea.
I think my diet has become the reversed 5:2 diet .lol good for 5 days , not so good for the other 2.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Day 39 and slippage has occurred . Had bloods done this morning and having fried fish and a couple of chips for tea.
I think my diet has become the reversed 5:2 diet .lol good for 5 days , not so good for the other 2.

@Jamrox Keep going you are doing fine.

Another thing I noticed, if I do drop the carbs, my fasting goes up.
I also find this and have a whole thread dedicated to me increasing carbs and getting much lower fastings and base levels. The reduced carb state causes the body to naturally increas IR so that it can maintain best use of glucose it has. It is called physiological IR

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jamrox Keep going you are doing fine.

I also find this and have a whole thread dedicated to me increasing carbs and getting much lower fastings and base levels. The reduced carb state causes the body to naturally increas IR so that it can maintain best use of glucose it has. It is called physiological IR

Interesting. I see the same.
Certainly, my fasting BG, and my response to carbs is much more normal when I find the right level, neither too high, or too low.
I wonder how many people LC, believing they are 'failing' to decrease BG, when it's a natural effect of the diet?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I like to be in the 5s, if I go into the 4s I feel awful

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I see the same.
Certainly, my fasting BG, and my response to carbs is much more normal when I find the right level, neither too high, or too low.
I wonder how many people LC, believing they are 'failing' to decrease BG, when it's a natural effect of the diet?

Interesting @SunnyExpat as I certainly saw lower numbers when I ate more but limited carbs. I may give it a go for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I'm late replying to the tags from @AndBreathe and @Brunneria , I was getting soaked to the skin and freezing cold watching a football match in not so sunny Spain. @Donnadoobie I did a fat fast because whilst LCHF succeeded in getting my BGs down to an acceptable level my weightloss has stalled. I read some posts on here, some of which said that calories mattered so you should be careful how much fat you consumed, others which said that carbs were the all important foods to watch. So I experimented. Here's the link http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/ The others who followed their own fat fasts are mentioned there.

Sorry this is a short reply . I am struggling with the Spanish PC:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
6 weeks in , I've gone off the rails a bit , been more like 1000 calories but more active now . BS still ok , will get HbA1C result on Wednesday .

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
just up the exercise to compensate. Fingers crossed

paddyzulu

Hi. I read about this in articles written by Dr Michael Moseley and after reading most things that he has written and having seen him on tv, I would be inclined to trust him - he has no hidden agenda and no axe to grind. However, there is one proviso: 800 calories is low, very low. I'm a biology graduate _ I remember learning that your brain can use up that much calories in a normal 24 hours. I definitely know I can burn that up in an hour ox strenuous exercise. The actual diet is spot on - it's pretty much a Type 2 diet, but the calorie level is way too low. I think other replies have already referred to that.
We all need a shake up from time to time - but a shake up is a minor disturbance to help give you a fresh start. It is not a reason to totally derail. And if you can't exercise because of the sore knee, there are other exercises that use other parts of the body, maybe not as efficiently.

Hi, I'm male, 66 years old and just recently read Michael Moseley's book, The Blood diet, and with a great flourish of enthusiasm I launched into this 800 calorie diet in the confident expectation of a total cure for my Type 2 diabetes, diagnosed last year. Now reading the negative comments on this forum I'm not so sure and fear I'll simply end up as a thin type 2 diabetic instead of the fat one that I'm used to. I've been on it now for 3 weeks and have lost 1 1/2 stone (not so dramatic as others ). Apart from the loss of my beloved fat I have not experienced any negative effects . My energy levels actually seem higher, and I guess my stomach has shrunk as I'm finding it easier to do the longer I persist. As a result of counting calories in various books that I bought, I am appalled to think of the amounts and types of food and drink that I ingested over the years, no doubt exceeding my daily allowance for a working man at breakfast.
I Stopped the twice a day Metformin after the first week, having dropped a stone, and have logged my blood sugar levels, fasting, 2 hours after lunch and before bed. Before I started the diet my blood sugar levels were always in or around 12, but since dieting and stopping the Medicine I've not been able to get them above 7 with the fasting level being in the region of 4.5 to 7 and bedtime reading being less than 7. I'm a tad bewildered by it all and have much to learn. I do still harbour the wish to be free of the need for medication and to be able to use diet alone as the controlling mechanism (who doesn't) and hopes of being able to handle the occasional binge are uppermost. At the end of the 8 weeks I plan to proceed on a healthy diet whatever that may be and I guess the same healthy diet would be recommended for non diabetics as well.
Thank you all and keep up the good work, your comments and replies are most enlightening.

Reactions: 5 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@paddyzulu sounds like you are doing great. Ignore the nay sayers and just continue. You have nothing to lose so why not. It worked for me over 2 years ago so there is hope and your numbers are looking great so far.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@paddyzulu very well done on your progress. Whether or not you are one of the ones who truly reverses T2, you will almost certainly be able to control it by diet only which you say is what you desire.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi, I'm male, 66 years old and just recently read Michael Moseley's book, The Blood diet, and with a great flourish of enthusiasm I launched into this 800 calorie diet in the confident expectation of a total cure for my Type 2 diabetes, diagnosed last year. Now reading the negative comments on this forum I'm not so sure and fear I'll simply end up as a thin type 2 diabetic instead of the fat one that I'm used to. I've been on it now for 3 weeks and have lost 1 1/2 stone (not so dramatic as others ). Apart from the loss of my beloved fat I have not experienced any negative effects . My energy levels actually seem higher, and I guess my stomach has shrunk as I'm finding it easier to do the longer I persist. As a result of counting calories in various books that I bought, I am appalled to think of the amounts and types of food and drink that I ingested over the years, no doubt exceeding my daily allowance for a working man at breakfast.
I Stopped the twice a day Metformin after the first week, having dropped a stone, and have logged my blood sugar levels, fasting, 2 hours after lunch and before bed. Before I started the diet my blood sugar levels were always in or around 12, but since dieting and stopping the Medicine I've not been able to get them above 7 with the fasting level being in the region of 4.5 to 7 and bedtime reading being less than 7. I'm a tad bewildered by it all and have much to learn. I do still harbour the wish to be free of the need for medication and to be able to use diet alone as the controlling mechanism (who doesn't) and hopes of being able to handle the occasional binge are uppermost. At the end of the 8 weeks I plan to proceed on a healthy diet whatever that may be and I guess the same healthy diet would be recommended for non diabetics as well.
Thank you all and keep up the good work, your comments and replies are most enlightening.
Sensational work
I am a fan as it has been fantastic for me and a huge improvement in my BG to normal levels. I hope to be able to claim I have reversed it in a few months. Keep it up

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Definitely ignore the naysayers, and keep it up.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Just got my HbA1c result and its 39 . I'm happy with that considering I went off the rails abit when I hurt my knee .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Paddyzulu ,One thing I have learned over the past 3 years is the Diabetes is very much an individual condition . What works for me might not work for you and vis versa .
I'm please you have found your thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Sorry Paddyzulu my typing is rubbish , the post above is what I meant to say.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Right Marie this is it . You will behave . You will get back on that 800 calorie bike . My husband looked at me in shock when I had half a crusty roll .
I also had 2 scones , one at lunch and one at supper !!! STOP

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right Marie this is it . You will behave . You will get back on that 800 calorie bike . My husband looked at me in shock when I had half a crusty roll .
I also had 2 scones , one at lunch and one at supper !!! STOP

Oh flip! What brought that on?