1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Jamrox, Feb 6, 2016.

1. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Could be.

I tried low calorie, I cut fat, counted the calories, and did it that way. Purely personal, but I had read a lot on here that sometimes LCHF reduces BG, but still can have higher fasting levels, and they're the last to drop.
    I also subscribed to the idea that your body goes into 'repair' mode during fasting, so wanted to make sure my pancreas and liver were getting exercised, and didn't get overlooked in the process.
    I had a meter, so watched the results of what I ate daily.

I must admit, it suited me, and it did seem to work for me.

Another thing I noticed, if I do drop the carbs, my fasting goes up.
    I suspect I have a liver dump in the morning, and if I LC, it catches me out, if I don't LC, my pancreas is already 'turned on', and waiting as it were.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jamrox

Jamrox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Day 39 and slippage has occurred . Had bloods done this morning and having fried fish and a couple of chips for tea.
    I think my diet has become the reversed 5:2 diet .lol good for 5 days , not so good for the other 2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

@Jamrox Keep going you are doing fine.

I also find this and have a whole thread dedicated to me increasing carbs and getting much lower fastings and base levels. The reduced carb state causes the body to naturally increas IR so that it can maintain best use of glucose it has. It is called physiological IR

• Like Like x 4
  4. SunnyExpat

Interesting. I see the same.
    Certainly, my fasting BG, and my response to carbs is much more normal when I find the right level, neither too high, or too low.
    I wonder how many people LC, believing they are 'failing' to decrease BG, when it's a natural effect of the diet?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jamrox

I like to be in the 5s, if I go into the 4s I feel awful

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Donnadoobie

Donnadoobie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Interesting @SunnyExpat as I certainly saw lower numbers when I ate more but limited carbs. I may give it a go for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SunnyExpat

I'm with you on that as well!

• Like Like x 5
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Sorry I'm late replying to the tags from @AndBreathe and @Brunneria , I was getting soaked to the skin and freezing cold watching a football match in not so sunny Spain. @Donnadoobie I did a fat fast because whilst LCHF succeeded in getting my BGs down to an acceptable level my weightloss has stalled. I read some posts on here, some of which said that calories mattered so you should be careful how much fat you consumed, others which said that carbs were the all important foods to watch. So I experimented. Here's the link http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/ The others who followed their own fat fasts are mentioned there.

Sorry this is a short reply . I am struggling with the Spanish PC:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jamrox

6 weeks in , I've gone off the rails a bit , been more like 1000 calories but more active now . BS still ok , will get HbA1C result on Wednesday .

10. andcol

Retired Moderator

just up the exercise to compensate. Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2
  11. paddyzulu

paddyzulu · Newbie

Hi, I'm male, 66 years old and just recently read Michael Moseley's book, The Blood diet, and with a great flourish of enthusiasm I launched into this 800 calorie diet in the confident expectation of a total cure for my Type 2 diabetes, diagnosed last year. Now reading the negative comments on this forum I'm not so sure and fear I'll simply end up as a thin type 2 diabetic instead of the fat one that I'm used to. I've been on it now for 3 weeks and have lost 1 1/2 stone (not so dramatic as others ). Apart from the loss of my beloved fat I have not experienced any negative effects . My energy levels actually seem higher, and I guess my stomach has shrunk as I'm finding it easier to do the longer I persist. As a result of counting calories in various books that I bought, I am appalled to think of the amounts and types of food and drink that I ingested over the years, no doubt exceeding my daily allowance for a working man at breakfast.
    I Stopped the twice a day Metformin after the first week, having dropped a stone, and have logged my blood sugar levels, fasting, 2 hours after lunch and before bed. Before I started the diet my blood sugar levels were always in or around 12, but since dieting and stopping the Medicine I've not been able to get them above 7 with the fasting level being in the region of 4.5 to 7 and bedtime reading being less than 7. I'm a tad bewildered by it all and have much to learn. I do still harbour the wish to be free of the need for medication and to be able to use diet alone as the controlling mechanism (who doesn't) and hopes of being able to handle the occasional binge are uppermost. At the end of the 8 weeks I plan to proceed on a healthy diet whatever that may be and I guess the same healthy diet would be recommended for non diabetics as well.
    Thank you all and keep up the good work, your comments and replies are most enlightening.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  12. andcol

Retired Moderator

@paddyzulu sounds like you are doing great. Ignore the nay sayers and just continue. You have nothing to lose so why not. It worked for me over 2 years ago so there is hope and your numbers are looking great so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

@paddyzulu very well done on your progress. Whether or not you are one of the ones who truly reverses T2, you will almost certainly be able to control it by diet only which you say is what you desire.

14. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sensational work
    I am a fan as it has been fantastic for me and a huge improvement in my BG to normal levels. I hope to be able to claim I have reversed it in a few months. Keep it up

• Like Like x 2
  15. SunnyExpat

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Definitely ignore the naysayers, and keep it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Jamrox

Just got my HbA1c result and its 39 . I'm happy with that considering I went off the rails abit when I hurt my knee .

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Jamrox

@Paddyzulu ,One thing I have learned over the past 3 years is the Diabetes is very much an individual condition . What works for me might not work for you and vis versa .
    I'm please you have found your thing

• Informative Informative x 1
    #417 Jamrox, Mar 21, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  18. Jamrox

Sorry Paddyzulu my typing is rubbish , the post above is what I meant to say.

19. Jamrox

Right Marie this is it . You will behave . You will get back on that 800 calorie bike . My husband looked at me in shock when I had half a crusty roll .
    I also had 2 scones , one at lunch and one at supper !!! STOP

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh flip! What brought that on?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook