do you think there is enough information regarding diabulima?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im still shocked
That's the reply I had regarding the blog, then a phone call back regarding the issues I've raised with them saying in the next few years they may change thier mind when more people are aware think they are missing the point although they did state they do know already the issue is serious

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think denial is a huge part and rebelling against the condition l, suffers belive it gives them a sense of control over thier bodies while damaging their bodies sometimes beyond repair, yes it is an eating disorder but at the same time diabetics can become obsessed with numbers and the link between depression and diabetes Neglect is huge. But classing people as "bad diabetics" is not the way forward medical professions need more education, also personally I do not agree with the term poorly controlled it's a negative term! Sorry guys could rant about this all day

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Any indication of classifying this negatively will just turn away sufferers of this condition, it needs recognition as a condition and treated as such. However in the first instance it needs to be recognised by healthcare professionals, it cannot be swept under the carpet. Sarah you have a huge challenge ahead of you and I admire you greatly for wanting to do so much, with more people sharing your view then the challenge will become easier ;)

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any indication of classifying this negatively will just turn away sufferers of this condition, it needs recognition as a condition and treated as such. However in the first instance it needs to be recognised by healthcare professionals, it cannot be swept under the carpet. Sarah you have a huge challenge ahead of you and I admire you greatly for wanting to do so much, with more people sharing your view then the challenge will become easier ;)
Thank you I hope we get somewhere xx

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often manupulate insulin to eat some Yummy Yummy. I have a sweet tooth :p

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi, I also suffer from Diabulimia and struggle with it every day. It's an issue that needs to be brought to light definitely

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have had diabulimia although I didn't know that's what it was called at the time. I still have to force myself to take insulin if I eat a lot of carbs. I actually found out I was pregnant during one of my cutting insulin to lose weight phases, and by the grace of god the baby survived and was healthy... that was the shock I needed to stop. For most of my diabetic life I was passed off as a bad diabetic, most HCPs were unable to understand that it was an eating disorder, not a choice to not look after myself.

I can't think of a worse combination of illnesses than diabetes + eating disorder... but having diabetes makes food very black and white for me, it's either ok to eat or off limits there is no happy medium.

For me the only thing that really works is staying away from the carby foods. Or if I want to have a treat I restrict it to the end of the day and inject a little extra. I've always had an eating disorder, pre dating my diabetes, and always will. I just hope i can get to the end of my life without any more complications.

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done girls for speaking out! Hopefully this forum will be a place where we can all talk about how we are feeling and give each other encouragement! I will be posting a blog a bit later on keep your eyes out for little read! It's such a frustrating illness where you're heart telling you it's bad for you yet head telling you not to take the insulin it's such a battle but you are not alone and will have relapses but just be proud of yourself every unit you take is a step closer to recovery :)

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is some sort of help in Kent in the eating disorder place there...I know of somebody that was in there with diabulemia but I don't think the outcome was great to help her...

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is some sort of help in Kent in the eating disorder place there...I know of somebody that was in there with diabulemia but I don't think the outcome was great to help her...
Hopefully soon there will be an established place and systems for professionals to point people in the right direction for help x

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am struggling with that this week. Iv not tested and I have not taken my levemir in a few days. My ketones are up and down as I'm taking some novorapid so I won't feel too sick. But I just want to lose a little weight

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@diabetic12yrs can you try to give half or even a couple of units of levimir? Take the positives that you are taking bits of Novorapid. Try to think that when its in you it's in and done and give yourself a pat on the back for doing it let me know how are you are today x

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@diabetic12yrs can you try to give half or even a couple of units of levimir? Take the positives that you are taking bits of Novorapid. Try to think that when its in you it's in and done and give yourself a pat on the back for doing it let me know how are you are today x
My ketones are down now from 4.6 to 1.4 cause I took 14 of novorapid and I also took 10 of levemir. It's so hard though. I struggle with my mental health and am so stressed lately. My nurses understand so I think I may pop in and see them now

Reactions: 6 people

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My ketones are down now from 4.6 to 1.4 cause I took 14 of novorapid and I also took 10 of levemir. It's so hard though. I struggle with my mental health and am so stressed lately. My nurses understand so I think I may pop in and see them now
So pleased you took it well done! Keep drinking plenty of fluids aswell, it's really hard but by the sounds of it it's lucky you have understanding nurses. I think that's why it's so draining because you're already fighting the diabetes and then add to that mental health the last thing you feel like doing is testing and all the other stuff you should be proud of yourself that you did take it though 1-0 to you x

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @sarahpench for writing your blog 'Diabulimia- win the war'. Thanks also to the others who have shared their experiences. Talking about it is the way to win the fight, thanks all of you for being so brave and open.

Reactions: 4 people

sarahpench

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree @zand it's the only way sometimes people feel able to open up is when other people do! Hope everyone has a good weekend

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I had a good chat(cry) with my nurse yesterday and agreed to take it 1 day at a time

Sometimes opening up is half the problem, actually admitting it has become an issue means wanting to change and wanting to feel better. Take it easy, as your nurse said one day at a time, don't think about the future or the past, just focus on each day. think positive thoughts as you have already overcome a huge hurdle, good luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
One thing that has actually helped me a lot with my diabulimia is being put on Forxiga (dapagliflozin), this is a medication that turns some of the sugar in your blood into sugar in your pee, a bit like what happens when blood sugar is high only the medication does this without the blood sugar being high.

Knowing I am excreting around 500 calories a day in my urine from the carbs in my food, has helped me to psychologically accept being on insulin a bit better especially as also helped me to lose weight.

It may not be the solution for everyone but for those suffering with weight gain associated with an insulin regime it may be worth enquiring about with your doctor.

Reactions: 2 people