Soups and stews please

Juno80

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Modified Beef and Red Wine Stew (No Potatoes / Flour)

1 kg Prime Rib or Rib Eye Steak (Well marbled beef) - Cubed
2 Celery Stalks, Diced
1 Med-Large Yellow Onion, Diced
2 large Carrots, Sliced
3 whole cloves of garlic smashed with the side of a knife
0.5 kg Button Mushrooms Washed and Halved
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (whole)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
500 ml Red Wine (Dry Red)
1 L Low/No Sodium Beef Stock
1-2 tbsp Corn Starch (Optional if you want thick stew)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil

Directions:
  1. In a large stock pot add sesame oil and sear steak cubes in small batches until just browned on all sides, remove, and reserve in a small bowl.
  2. Add Mushrooms with some Pepper, Garlic Cloves and the Rosemary and saute until lightly browned (about 3-5 minutes)
  3. Add Onions, Celery, and Carrot and cook until lightly caramelized (about 3-5 minutes)
  4. Add red wine to deglaze and evaporate the alcohol (about 1-2 minutes)
  5. Add Beef Stock and bring to the boil.
  6. Reduce to a gentle simmer, add in the reserved beef cubes, and bay leaves. Reduce heat to low and put a lid on it for a good 2-3 hours (until the beef is starting to fall apart), stirring every hour or so.
  7. Before serving, check your seasonings and add Salt and Pepper if needed
  8. (Optional) If you want a thicker gravy, mix 1-2tbsp corn starch with about 3-5 tbsp water and add the slurry to the stew. Bring the heat back up to a gentle boil to thicken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thai chicken and lemongrass soup, strongly resembles Ainsley Harriots cuppa soup, but instead of 16g carbs per serving, it's only 5g carbs per serving.

Serves 6
Makes 1.6 litres

We make ours in a soup maker... just hung all the ingredients in, we set ours to the "smooth" setting and it takes around 24 mins.

Ingredients...
160g roast chicken breast, cooked and roughly chopped up
1 chicken stock (we use the jelly kind)
1 leak, roughly chopped up
Half a red pepper, roughly chopped up
15 mls fish sauce
400 mls coconut milk, we use the light one..
15 gms lemongrass paste
3" fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped up
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Water to top up to the 1.6 ltr mark on the soup maker

We set ours to the smooth setting, so it resembles the Ainsley Harriot cuppa soup style.
Each serving is 266 mls and the nutritional values for 1 serving is:

109 cals, 7g fat, 5g carbs, 1.8 g fibre and 10g protein

Enjoy... :)

Reactions: PurrrdyP

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thai chicken and lemongrass soup, strongly resembles Ainsley Harriots cuppa soup, but instead of 16g carbs per serving, it's only 5g carbs per serving.

Serves 6
Makes 1.6 litres

We make ours in a soup maker... just bung all the ingredients in, we set ours to the "smooth" setting and it takes around 24 mins.

Ingredients...
15 mls fish sauce
15 gms lemongrass paste
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp dried chilli flakes, or powder.. but flakes give a bigger kick ;)

We set ours to the smooth setting, so it resembles the Ainsley Harriot cuppa soup style.

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oopsies, I forgot to add an ingredient, so the full recipe is in my reply post above :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Serves 6
Makes 1.6 litres

We make ours in a soup maker... just hung all the ingredients in, we set ours to the "smooth" setting and it takes around 24 mins.

Ingredients...
15 mls fish sauce
15 gms lemongrass paste
Juice and zest of 1 lime

A soupmaker? Please tell us more more more .. I didn't know there were soupmakers - I want one !!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Cream of Cauliflower

1 cauliflower head
3 veg or chicken stock cubes
Double cream
Butter

Melt large knob of butter in soup pan, add grated cauliflower head and stir until cauli is coated in butter. Add 3pts water and stock cubes then simmer for 30mins take off heat and either use a masher or blitz in processor ( I like to mash the mixture) Add seasoning and 1/4pt double cream place back on heat and stir gently while heating slowly. Enjoy

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A soupmaker? Please tell us more more more .. I didn't know there were soupmakers - I want one !!
It's a bit like a kettle with a blender inside, ours is a morphine richards one, but there's a massahusive range available :)
We make our soup every 3 days or so, when it's cooled down we store it in the fridge until the next day and thoroughly reheat. We absolutely love this soup! I loved the cuppa soup one by AH but now my carb limit is down to 20g a day, we had to try and copy the soup as best we could! I think we've definitely done that, it really is delicious :)

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morphine richards... argh, spell checking, got me again... rolls eyes and winks.
"Morphy Richards".

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a bit like a kettle with a blender inside, ours is a morphine richards one, but there's a massahusive range available :)
We make our soup every 3 days or so, when it's cooled down we store it in the fridge until the next day and thoroughly reheat. We absolutely love this soup! I loved the cuppa soup one by AH but now my carb limit is down to 20g a day, we had to try and copy the soup as best we could! I think we've definitely done that, it really is delicious :)
Thank you thank you! Found it, that's my birthday present. Happy :)

Reactions: 4 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you thank you! Found it, that's my birthday present. Happy :)

Cool... as they say ;) we find it so much better than standing and storing, then having to blend for a smooth soup! Bang your ingredients in and 22-25 mins later you can enjoy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Cream of Cauliflower

1 cauliflower head
3 veg or chicken stock cubes
Double cream
Butter

Melt large knob of butter in soup pan, add grated cauliflower head and stir until cauli is coated in butter. Add 3pts water and stock cubes then simmer for 30mins take off heat and either use a masher or blitz in processor ( I like to mash the mixture) Add seasoning and 1/4pt double cream place back on heat and stir gently while heating slowly. Enjoy

Thank you so much for this anna, I am going to make it next week, simple and sounds delicious :hungry: :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Look up soupmaker.pdf for Coopers / Goldair and cuisine art ... amazing range of stuff :)

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!

Serves 6
Makes 1.6 litres

Ingredients...
15 mls fish sauce
15 gms lemongrass paste
Juice and zest of 1 lime

Sounds delicious

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
West African Peanut Soup
  • 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 bunch collard greens (or kale), ribs removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch strips
  • ¾ cup unsalted peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
  • ½ cup tomato paste
  • Hot sauce, like sriracha (AKA rooster sauce)
  • ¼ cup roughly chopped peanuts, for garnish
Instructions
  1. In a medium Dutch oven or stock pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
  2. In a medium-sized, heat-safe mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and tomato paste, then transfer 1 to 2 cups of the hot stock to the bowl. Whisk the mixture together until smooth, then pour the peanut mixture back into the soup and mix well. Stir in the collard greens and season the soup with hot sauce to taste. Simmer for about 15 more minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
(credit: www.cookieandkate.com)

I use a stick blender to puree it a bit. Also, if I have leftover squash hanging around I throw that in too.

James_78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This my first time on this forum and I sure like your soup thread I just love making soups
Here is one for you it will keep you warm in the cold weather
Get your self a good size leak wash it and then put through the blender 2 or 3 potatoes you can put them
through the blender as well get a good sized pot half fill add veg stock cube good size carrot and onion
Chopped up small also a couple of cloves of garlic and now my favourite bit cooking bacon all fat taken
of and cut into nice sized pieces all added to the pot bring to the boil and then and then let simmer
In your last half hour add double cream I don't think you will need salt but you can add pepper
Enjoy